Particles following splines

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #16
Huh? What's the big problem here? Since when speed by icon is not enough for the particle-by-spline stuff? Somebody needs to read the ref

Old 12 December 2006   #17
Smile Sticky particles on spline

This issue I've been having is somewhat relevant to this thread. I'm using a spline as a path constraint for the emitter to generate the original particles but after those particles are emitted I want them to "stick" to the spline as the spline animates.

here is a preview - you can see the problem:
www.pac-collective.com/particle_spline.avi

I'm open to any alternate methods, thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12 December 2006   #18
You can do this with the Lock/bond operator in Particle Flow Tools Box #1. Check out at orbaz.com

Old 12 December 2006   #19
Great & thanks - I'll check it out.

Old 02 February 2007   #20
Originally Posted by BigRanS123: Im not able to get the P-flow to select the spline while its in the spline form/ are you doing something special?
Enable it in viewport and render. Then after you add the UVW modifier you can pick it. It's been a while since I needed to emit from a spline. Sorry it took so long to answer.

Old 02 February 2007   #21
Originally Posted by paccollective: This issue I've been having is somewhat relevant to this thread. I'm using a spline as a path constraint for the emitter to generate the original particles but after those particles are emitted I want them to "stick" to the spline as the spline animates.

here is a preview - you can see the problem:
www.pac-collective.com/particle_spline.avi

I'm open to any alternate methods, thanks in advance for any help.

If you use the method mentioned in my post above and don't add a speed operator there is no need for a plugin. Hope it saves you a few bucks.

Edit: almost forgot to mention not to use any forces either that may blow, drag or otherwise gravitate on the particles that you want to stick to the spline.

Last edited by supremepizza : 02 February 2007 at 10:51 AM.

Old 05 May 2007   #22
Hey all,
I need to animate a "scent". Like in the cartoons how they draw a scent line in the air...the audience can see it as the character follows it with their nose- I'm trying to do that in 3d.

The speed by Icon trick didn't allow existing particles to hug the spline as i moved it. (same as paccollective 's problem) So actually birthing the particles onto the spline might be the go.

Hey Supreme Pizza how do you get the birth of particles to occur elsewhere from the emitter? I can't find any option in the birth operator that allows you to pick a spawn point. (This is just the default Particle Flow without any plugins)

Old 05 May 2007   #23
You should model your scent trail, then birth particles on it, record the particles position in the vector channel, reposition them, and use the find target 'by script vector' option.

Old 06 June 2007   #24
Sorry it took so long to reply I've been very busy with graduating/relocating the past few weeks and am interested in some contract FX stuff for the next 3 months so email me if you need something.

In reply to the post for anyone else interested in this technique. Follow Glacerice's advice and use the

"particleVector Sample Script"

Which you can find in the MAXScript reference.

Modify it to your needs.

Enjoy,
Bill

Old 06 June 2007   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread