Rendering display shape "Lines"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Rendering display shape "Lines"

I really like how the lines shape looks in the viewport. Is there a way to get the render to match that exactly?

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Enable the "Wire" switch your materials basic parameters. There are some size params for it lower down in the Extended Params rollout-> Wire Groupbox

I recall there is some shaded/wireframe material out there somewhere too.

Others have cloned the object, add a push modifier and apply a wireframe material over the base shaded object.

Or you can simply use something like PowerPreview and do a high quality viewport preview too.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
If I use the wireframe shaded method, how do I get the length to match the speed? In the viewport, the lines get longer the faster they move.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Huh? I guess I am confused. What exactly are you doing? How about posting a reference or a screencap or more in depth explanation, or a scenefile.

From your one sentence first post you appear to want to render a shaded wireframe, you make no mention of anything being animated

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Hey Johnny, i think Lagavulin16 meant rendering particles as lines like the particle display mode in viewport.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Ahhh, sorry for missing the obvious! LOL

You could if you have box#3 or advanced data tools:
  • create a spline that has an animated length
  • use that as a Shape Instance+Animated Shape+Animation Offset = Particle Age
  • use a data operate to grab the speed magnitude of the particle do some simple math to convert it to a usable particle age value
Here is a quick wip at it, it does not perfectly match the Line Display Type but could be tweaked too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip max2013_RenderLines.zip (20.3 KB, 12 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #7
John, that is awesome. Thanks so much for posting a scene file. I've always wondered how to do that.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: I've always wondered how to do that.

I was wondering too, that is why you got a scene file

Old 05 May 2013   #9
I thought of a more accurate/better way, simply use a cylinder and the Shape Control sub-op that controls the height of the cylinder.

Grab the speed magnitude-> set its identity equal to the current ticks per frame (160 if using 30fps)-> Shape Control + Height

Much better

Old 05 May 2013   #10
ahh, ok cool. When I get a second I'll try that out. THanks.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread