Text as particles?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Text as particles?

Hi everyone, I'm a Pflow noob so bear with me.

I've been trying to create some simple text effects with pflow. One effect is text being blown out towards the camera, as if an explosion were set off behind the text.

I've tried a couple of approaches, but none give the desired effect. Perhaps someone could give me some advice.

First I tried creating a PF source for each letter in the text, using object instance with amount and emit stop set to 1. This made each letter shoot toward the desired direction. The problem came when trying to apply a spin to each event. I have to make sure the text is aligned with an animated text geometry from the previous shot, after creating the PF source the spawned particle wasn't in position, so I had to move the PF source so the starting position of the particle was aligned with the original text. This causes the pivot of the PF source to not be centered on each letter (it's closer to the scene origin), so the letters aren't spinning correctly.

I also tried the MassFX modifier on each letter, however I'm using Max 2012, and apparently forces do not work on rigid bodies

Ideally, I'd like to have each letter connected to a particle so I can use forces for other effects down the line, like a tornado(vortex force) sweeping the letters away, etc.

Can anyone shed light on what I'm doing wrong or suggest an alternative method?

Thanks

Old 11 November 2012   #2
can you attach a scene expressing the issue?

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Well it looks like I solved my problem, I simply went back to using massFX and looked up some brick wall tutorials, many of which deal with creating a similar effect. I just created a kinematic body (giant sphere) and animated it moving through the text, then I hid the sphere.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
glad you found the solution

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread