Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
EBENEZR
portfolio
Jeremy Hunter
EBENEZR
Newbury, United Kingdom

blobs of water combining whilst coming out of pipe

I'm teaching myself 3D Studio Max as I got a license from uni and left, so I have no further official tuition and don't know much terminology, so please forgive me if I ask what certain words mean regarding modifiers and rendering.

I've got a problem with a particle system and simulating water. I've got a pipe that water is travelling through and I want the particles to combine before coming out the other end. I've set metaparticles with tension as low as possible, the idea for which I found on a tutorial somewhere, but still the particles fall out of the pipe, bound a little off the wall (appropriately - besides not combining) then fall on the floor and roll everywhere, unrealistically.

Can someone please help? I haven't bothered to upload as it seems like it is probably a rookie issue, but can do if necessary.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

You have two particles systems? What do you mean by combine?

Are you using blobmesh or well... actually what kind of particle system are you using, if you say metaparticles I and guessing you are using a legacy system like super spray? (which in all honesty is actually fairly quick calculation wise but not very controllable)

Old 11-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
EBENEZR
portfolio
Jeremy Hunter
EBENEZR
Newbury, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom
You have two particles systems? What do you mean by combine?

Are you using blobmesh or well... actually what kind of particle system are you using, if you say metaparticles I and guessing you are using a legacy system like super spray? (which in all honesty is actually fairly quick calculation wise but not very controllable)

It's just one particle system. I don't know, not sure how I'd do that. I'm using a Superspray yes, but it doesn't really matter what particle system is required, or the method to get there, I just want an end product.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

The mesh algorithm and particle system you are trying to use was written almost 20 years ago, it is single threaded and slow, and prone to block or worse crash under very heavy loads. So yes, it kind of does matter.

It really didn't register what you were talking about until now. I thought you had something like two different types of fluid, ie different viscosity. Just over thinking it.

If you need particles to "combine" then use more particles, the metasurface only stretches so far.

So there is no confusion, you are not simulating water, you are trying to make it look like a simulation (Glu3d, realflow, Naiad those are fluid based solvers). In order to fake it you have to understand how spacewarps and deflectors work in max. You will want to apply wind to drive direction with turbulence and gravity to bring the particles down, set frictions and chaos on your surfaces to get something like what water would do.

You will have more control and be better off learning Particle Flow, the legacy systems are good for quick tricks, Pflow is the next step, from there TP.

Attached it a totally 5 minute hash at it to give you a basic understanding (you'll need Frost to mesh it, the demo will do)
Attached Files
File Type: zip max2013_PF_FRST_WaterTube.zip (27.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread