How to improve PFlow performance?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
How to improve PFlow performance?

I imported a BIN file sequence from Realflow into PFlow, about 1Million particles. Unforunately, I cannot do anything with that scene, because action I make causes PFlow to update and an update takes longer than it took to simulate the BIN in Realflow. My computer is fast and has 32GB RAM, so PFlow should be working fine.I changed the particle Display from 100% to some 5 %, but this doesn't help.

Do you have any suggestions on how one can improve the performance of PFlow in the Max viewport?

EDIT:

1. After loading the Particles from my local HDD (instead of loading em via the Network (1GB LAN)), it works a lot smoother. I didn't think the difference was that much. Still, I am open for any ideas on handling lots of particles in PFlow.

Last edited by Phlok : 06 June 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
I have a SataIII SSD for disk caches, it is only 128gb, I wish it were bigger but helps a lot.

When loading caches, that is really the only way I know of to get pflow to perform better.

It is all about cache, cache, cache, sadly enough. Get them out of pflow and into PRT as soon as you can.

Old 07 July 2012   #3
PFlow seems pretty slow when it is reading in 3rd party data. Not sure why. I have generated some pretty interesting scenes with Box3 operators where I can cache out around 10 million particles in 10-20 mins depending on what is going on. First off realize that max cannot display particles near as fast as it PFlow can generate them, that is why prts can cache faster than a preview animation takes if you have LOTs of particles. 2013 seems a lot better than previous versions for this.
All that being said there are some REALLY slow operators in PFlow. If you have to use these on large amounts of particles, you are pretty much screwed. Optimizing the Flow to the most basic needed operators helps and in some cases Box3 will allow you to recreate some of the slower operators in a faster operator by excluding some of the necessary steps. Otherwise we have to wait for someone to speed things up on the other end for us
Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread