Color by velocity, without rendering PRT

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Color by velocity, without rendering PRT

I'm working on a big project that has been saving out particle sequences as PRT files, in order to save the Velocity channel and render in Krakatoa. I am using the velocity channel to apply a gradient ramp and color the particles based on their velocity/speed.

It would be incredibly beneficial if this was possible to do - color particles based on velocity or speed - without having to render a PRT sequence for every scene, as it is quite time consuming.

Is there a way to apply a gradient ramp of colors to particles, using the velocity channel, and then render with krakatoa, without first rendering out a PRT sequence?

06 June 2012
You can apply a global kcm that would do the job. Look it up in the documentation

And, we should start having FX meetups in Stanley park

06 June 2012
Will take a look at that Glacier, thanks!

And absolutely we should! I know Bobo, from Thinkbox, lives here in Vancouver as well.

06 June 2012
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right - but I've managed to get my particles, from what I can tell, to take on my gradient ramp based on what I hope is their velocity, using a KCM Global Color override with my gradient ramp fed as the map channel.

Edit: I used the same Magma Editor flow as with my PRT Sequences, basically Velocity > Magnitude > Divide > Curve > Vector > Mapping Channel (Gradient). Not sure if this is necessary, but it seems to be working so I don't want to change anything.

As far as I can tell - complete success.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Eucalyptus : 06 June 2012 at 08:16 PM.

06 June 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread