Vertexes becoming non planar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Vertexes becoming non planar

I'm sure the same applies for other poly modeling applications but I'm using Maya. Lets have a go at a simple scenario and then look at my slightly more complicated mesh that needs attention.

Ok, you have a surface comprised of ...16 faces and 25 verts, just a plane. When the surface is created it's planar with all it's parts existing on the same plane, in harmony. Yay! You rotate the surface on all 3 axes, blah blah still planar, awesome
Now, here comes the issue. (Oh no!) Several of the verts on the surface have somehow managed to stray from their planar neighbors and are now making a surface defective, not flat.(by no fault of your own, ofc)

Whats the best way to fix this?
The only thing I've come up with is deleting all the affected surfaces, use a fill, and then shunt over the edges with the split tool. But that may not always be a solution like in my case.

I don't have four border edges that are viable for using as a reference.

I've tried using the scale tool, selecting the faces that need to be leveled accordingly and using the good face (green) as the reference,( Set To Face/Edge/Point) but that makes the (red) surfaces move a lot more than what is tolerable, because it causes bigger issues. I run into this problem a lot.
Any insight on how to avoid this, or fix it would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

05 May 2013
This might be a bit tedious, but if you set the move axis to that "good" green face, you could then use vertex snap to manually snap the non-planar verts along their y axis to the same level as the verts of the green face. Hopefully that makes sense

05 May 2013
Thanks Pollos, that makes sense and I believe it will work. Thanks for your reply!

05 May 2013
Cool, glad I could help!

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread