CGTalk > General Techniques > Modeling
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
pjz99
Frequenter
Paul Zanca
USA

The big fold on the pad of the palm needs some curve imo, it's very straight. A little more fatness on the pad of the palm at the base pinky would be good too. Of course your current model may be exactly how your hand looks, I dunno.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
Sagadur
Frequenter

portfolio
Uwe Gleiß
Teacher
Bamberg, Germany

Thank you for your sugestions - I allready thickend the palm a bit since the last picture (I will update here later) but it's still a bit skinny as you observed.

About the central line: The reference (my own left hand) realy got that kind of straight line (as may be seen in the picture at the beginning of the thread). But I see what you meen: looking closely at other hands I nearly never found that main fold without curvation. Maybe I'll give it a kick to svere from the straight path (but theres allredy a heap of polys around there ;-) ).

Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #18
Sagadur
Frequenter

portfolio
Uwe Gleiß
Teacher
Bamberg, Germany

I finally put some more work in this, but I think it's the last time this little study is correctly placed in the modelling forum.

I corrected the horizontal fold a bit (even if the origiginal one in my own hand corresponds more to the picture from Aug 29).
Worked a bit on lighting and painted the simple bumpmap. Last I changed the diffuse and luminance channels a bit to give it a bit more life.

Allways interested in your opinions but thinking I'll move on to a new study or to long overdue ideas - thanks for flying by.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
JoerdenLeigh
portfolio
Joerden Leigh
Canada

Thumbs up Current and similair Project

First off nice hand!. I read through and saw the changes. Ive never used the app your using but im curious about any other tutorials, reference or anything you were looking at at the time of the making. At least anything that wasnt on here. Ill post my hand WIP and link in via reply soon.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
TLoV

portfolio
David
Stockton, USA

Hello, everyone!

I, too have modeled a hand, though it pails in comparison. I use maya, BTW.

Last edited by TLoV : 09-08-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #21
x-GLYTCH-x

portfolio
Richard Palmer
LaVergne, USA

Send a message via MSN to x-GLYTCH-x
Is that from a gorilla or something?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Sagadur
Frequenter

portfolio
Uwe Gleiß
Teacher
Bamberg, Germany

Whooops - sorry, I didn't think that ther would be more activity here. So I hope this will still be read.

To JoerdenLeigh:
Since I wanted to get away from my tutorialaddiction, the only realy significant reference was my own hand and the pictures of it, that I posted at the beginning of the thread. I wanted to find my own way of managing topology to get the chance to understand the why and not only the how of modeling.
But I had some peeks at a simple book "Anatomie für Künstler leicht gemacht" (german: anatomy for artists, the easy way) and I already used sites with anatomical pictures (but not much in this project, which you can see in that quite unusual fold my own left hand possesses and which I modeled there first ): Gray's Anatomy and Atlas of Human Anatomy

To TLoV:
Your hand looks like you used quite a "cubic" approach, but a wireframe-view could clarify things here. What works considerably well on the fingers, doesn't work for the palm. Your edges there should better follow the flow of creases and folds which the hand produces there (as I mentioned above - I constructed them wrong on my first try too). But I could be wrong here.
Another mistake I made was, that I designed the edgeflow in the palm similar to that on the back of the hand. While the latter follows the direction of the sinews there, the edges in the palm are more dictated by the padding there. The sinew there lie deeper below the surface and thus don't form the topology on the surface.
I also have to agree with the remark above, the hand does seem quite mokeyish - but maybe that was what you where heading for.
And one more thing: the thumb seems to be turned, so that it's nail faces the same direction as those of the fingers - if that is so, that might cause severe pain.
In a relaxed human hand, the thumb has it's nail turned almost 90° to the side of the hand.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Sagadur : 04-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread