CGTalk > General Techniques > Modeling
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
FarshadRoknipour
Veteran
farshad roknipour
Geineva, France

Please help me with a simple issue...I think...

O.K. I have modeled a low poly Saguaro for a static object within a game...Now my geometry at the moment looks fine, but when I try to either weld vertices or boolean union the branch to the trunk of the Saguaro, it makes my geometry really ugly. Also when I look at it with Soft Edges on, or triangulate on, it looks pretty ugly for some reason. What is the best way to attach the branch of the Saguaro, to the trunk? I have a 3 screenshots attached. One is of the branch I want to attach, the other is the trunk I am trying to attach the branch too. The third screenshot is just both parts of the Saguaro...Please give me some advice, I really would appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot1.JPG (96.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot2.JPG (47.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot3.JPG (49.3 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Gephoria
Intermediate Modeller

portfolio
Brent Jorgenson
Information Technology Services
Robert Half Technology International
Saint Paul, USA

Send a message via AIM to Gephoria Send a message via MSN to Gephoria Send a message via Yahoo to Gephoria
booleans are evil, nightmare to texture, i suggest cut out a face and weld the attatchments on as to boolean. i hope this helps you

Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
FarshadRoknipour
Veteran
farshad roknipour
Geineva, France

Well, I tried cutting into the corresponding rectangle on the trunk of the Saguaro, to match the shape of the branch. Then I weld the vertices together and it still makes my geometry ugly...I want to stay away from booleaning.

P.S. Do you mean cutout a face and then boolean the branch to it? Or weld the vertices to the face i cut out?

Can you please be a little more specific on your technique to do it? Do you by any chance have aim, msn etc?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread