Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
jlmakes
Expert

portfolio
Julian Lloyd
Independent
Oakland, USA

What's your general approach to organic modeling (and your latest WIP)

I figured since this portion of the forum could use some love I'd make a thread to get some insight on other people's methods of organic modeling.

Well I'll start it off with my technique; I've found works best for me is poly by poly modeling--but more specifically, modeling the initial flow and details and making everything work around it. For example: I'll model the jaw line and make the face fit to it, instead of modeling the face and trying to model the jaw line off of the face. I put what I want, and make the unimportant/undetailed parts work around it.

Also, for me--looking in the mirror at pictures (if I can find ones at decent angles) and visualizing the topology on my own body (or the pictures) helps me get a sort of idea of what I need to aim for; the depth of field helps me as opposed to pictures which are so flat it's hard for me to visualize.

Last edited by jlmakes : 10-02-2006 at 05:25 AM.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
rasmusW
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rasmus Warming
3d artist
Ghost
Copenhagen, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to rasmusW
hey julian!

great thread. sadly no one replied... -exept me
it sounds like were using a very similare approch. i've posted a small tutorial/explenation of my workflow, in the silo tutorials thread. but you can also see it here. he is also one of my last wip's.

-r

Old 06-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Sandr0
as seen on tv

portfolio
Sandro Tatinashvili
tbilisi, Georgia

Hmmm quite interesting topic, but only one reply? strange

I also use similar technique... Erm, to be honest it's not pure edge-extrude - first I extrude large polys and subdivide them later. It is suitable for me as I add polys where needed and don't really need precise planning

It has distadvantages of course.. Result is lots of n'gons and have to refine topology from time to time

This is my "current" WIP (no time to work on it, exams )

[

Last edited by Sandr0 : 01-08-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
rastko
My little little axe

portfolio
Rastko Stanojevic
Modeler/Generalist
Serbia

Send a message via MSN to rastko
At beginning I model poly by poly, but now I model from box or sphere etc... I found I have better control when modeling like that, but still use poly by poly for some things, but really rarely for head or body... or better to say never

I think it's not so matter some people found it easer to model poly by poly while somebody else found it easer to model from box etc. subd

btw. sorry for my english

example (I start by some picture from subdivisionmodeling forum, but right now it's an orc I added nose etc... it's not here on this picture)

Last edited by rastko : 06-19-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
ThalesA7X
portfolio
Joshua Schmille Josh Schmille
Student
CTC
Copperas Cove, USA

Send a message via AIM to ThalesA7X Send a message via MSN to ThalesA7X
I started to learn the 'extrude edge' approach but decided to do my own thing. I use cinema4d for right now because it is much easier for me to model with that Maya. I use Maya for animation but I find it to be too 'professional' to model with for some reason.

I take the add points tool and make points where I think they should be, then use the bridge tool to connect them. Also, when I do that I have it inside a hypernurbs object so I can see exactly what I am getting.

What I want to know is if there are any MAJOR drawbacks to this other than taking more time. It isn't giving me any problems just yet though

Old 06-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
rasmusW
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rasmus Warming
3d artist
Ghost
Copenhagen, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to rasmusW
nice to see this thread, up and running. very intresting to hear about your approaches.
very nice character, julian.

-r

Old 06-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #7
ares623
Frequenter

portfolio
John Louis del Rosario
Cebu, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to ares623
interesting thread. i hope this gets more replies... i use box modeling method.. i block out the basic shape first and some primary loops and just keep on adding edges where i need them and redirect them for better edgeflow later on.. edgeflow comes last..

and my latest WIP.. i'm not working on it at the moment though.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
juzMe
juzMe
nil, Singapore

-

omg!! how do u all do that??!!! that's awsome!!

i'm juz a beginner in 3D.. currently learning modelling with maya for a mth now...
my maya sucks!! T.T

how do u guys manage to get it shaped so real??
i just move the vertex... very hard to shape it.
n inserting spheres to make the eye for my character...
looks totally sucks... =(

pardon me, what is poly by poly btw?

Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
rastko
My little little axe

portfolio
Rastko Stanojevic
Modeler/Generalist
Serbia

Send a message via MSN to rastko
Work, work and work . Practice and you will learn, take a look at some good tutorial etc...

Here's one example, @juzMe this is poly by poly

Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
jonnypolez
braw
jonny blackford
student
cleveland, United Kingdom

hi guys, good to see this thread potentially start going somewhere.

I like to plan out the topology of my character model first in photoshop on the front and side references before I begin modelling. It does take a bit of time but once you learn a good method it can become quicker. I find this method helpful because it allows you to study your character more and learn more about their bone and muscle structure.

Besides, once you get to modelling your character its just a case of joining the dots, however with the model shown below, i used the box method and created lines using the connect tool mostly. Its also very easy and simple to adjust the topology if its not looking quite right because the topology loops are already set up.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:24 AM   #11
LDSTrooper
Shawn Evans
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to LDSTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to LDSTrooper
I am still new to the 3D realm of things.. I've played around in Bryce and Poser in the past. But since I moved over to Linux I use Blender. Been working in Blender for less than a month and learning the edge extrude method. this is a current W.I.P

Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #12
Squash-n-Stretch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andreas Antoniades
Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology
Ireland

Send a message via MSN to Squash-n-Stretch
I've always found extruding edges to be a huge mistake. You get too many polygons, it's more difficult to get a nice 3D shape than if you started from a box, which has the three planes already defined for you. Human faces that have been modelled this way always look sooooo flat. I mean...you wouldn't start a life drawing with the details, right?You would work general to specific. Boxing out a figure into it's general shape first then refining is the same theory. Plus...it helps so much with proportions.

The wolf's head was edge extruded, and the rest of the body was box modelled. Same with the Stegosaurus.

[IMG]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7506/renders1nm3.jpg[/IMG]

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2104/wires1qb9.jpg

Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
Diependaal
Frequenter

portfolio
Ivo Diependaal
Freelance CG - Character Artist
Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to Diependaal
My way of workking ise going from eyes, to nose to forhead to mouth, to jaw, fill in + neck

than body, chest, belly shoulders, back, spine, shoulder muscles, connect front to back, making armpit, butt, than legs, from knee to lower to upper leg, than feet, from tow

allmost all poly modeld, accept for fingers and tows, and sometimes part of leg or arm.

my latest wip is the link below in sig

and a wire from that model:

Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #14
Neox
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Unger Unger
Freelance-3d-Artist, Character Modeller
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Neox

I started with boxmodelling because it was easier to work on proportions and getting a vision of what it will look like already in early stages, later i switched to poly by poly, because it's easier to create clean topology with it, then i brought both techniques together and started working with what i'd call silhouette modelling, i still do human faces poly by poly when i have to create new heads, but besicly i stopped doing it all over again on any model and developed one topology thats flexible enough to create many different heads with it without having them to look all the same.
Then i'm building the Body top down, head, torso, legs, arms, hands, feet, if i don't have a proportionssketch in the back i model a rough silhouette and use it as my guide.

and this is my latest wip shot

some timelapsed videos

Old 10-26-2006, 02:32 AM   #15
mcgow
Veteran
portfolio
Erik McGowan
Full Sail University Graduate
Winter Park, USA

Send a message via AIM to mcgow Send a message via Yahoo to mcgow
Do any of ya'll know of any good character model tutorials out there? I've been searching but mainly just head, ear and hand tutorials pop up.

Thread Closed share thread