Head displacement map (Mudbox to 3ds Max w/ V-Ray)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Head displacement map (Mudbox to 3ds Max w/ V-Ray)

Hi there,

I've been trying for too long now, it's like I don't know what I'm doing anymore. What I want to achieve is to displace the head model in a V-Ray render using 3ds Max. I have sculpted the head in Mudbox, and exported it as an OpenEXR 32-bit RGBA file (.exr). I tried both 2k and 4k maps, and I could not get things to look right in the render. It basically creates artifacts and distortions in the model, no matter my settings with VrayDisplacementMod.

Here's two images displaying my Mudbox work, and the render that fails on me. Displacement settings are shown as well:

If anyone can see the problem already by looking at the images, I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance

Old 05 May 2013   #2
As you can see, there is nothing wrong with the UV mapping. Here, take a look with this hi-res render:

It's the eyes and mouth in particular that look weird :S

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Nevermind. I got it! Perhaps I shouldn't use a displacement map on such a low subdivision level... I exported the Mudbox model at 3 subdivision levels, and it finally looked like it should!

Thanks anyways...

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread