Need tips for modeling a rifle stock...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Red face Need tips for modeling a rifle stock...

First - if this post is in the wrong place - I apologize - I've never used this forum before. I looked for Maya modeling, but could not locate it, so again - sorry if its in the wrong place.

Goal - I want to model a M14 rifle stock.

Current experience - I've been using Maya since 2008. I'm not completely new to Maya, but I also suck at modeling anything organic - such as a rifle stock.
I am currently using Maya 2013 on a Mac Pro workstation.

Tried - So far I placed an image of a M14 rifle stock - as an image plane - within Maya and have attempted both a poly cube and a poly sphere extruding faces and moving points to get the overall shape, but it is just not looking right. I am getting wrinkles and all sorts of bumps.

Problem - I lack good references (pics) of the M14 (e.g., top, side, front, etc.) and I know it would help if I could find some. I've looked. Most are very low res.

Help - Does anyone have any good tips on how to start a model like this, or can point me in the direction of a tutorial that does something like this?

Thanks in advance - theMajor

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Thumbs up An answer... my own

After playing around and finally finding some good references, I decided to use a poly cylinder instead of a cube. This allowed me to block out the general shape and after some refining, I finally got a good rifle stock. It's too bad there aren't any good tutorials on modeling rifle stocks. Maybe I'll post one!

Thanks for viewing. I anyone has a better method, please let me know.

- theMajor

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread