Sketchbook Thread of Abu Amir

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2010   #1
Sketchbook Thread of Abu Amir

I hope that posting my sketches will help me improve by the advices and critics of senior members. Cheers!

Old 06 June 2010   #2
my first sketch

Hello everyone!
I post my first sketch in this thread. They are 2 quick studies, one of my own hand and the second of a skull from BoneClones site.
I sketched in pencil the main volumes, then i fixed the detail. After that with an inkball pen i gave more contrast and details. For a volumetric look i used a marker to overdraw the contour in shaded areas. I'll try to make a routine of drawing daily and I count on your support for this. I doodled since childhood but I never took art instruction. Even if I'm very busy I want to make this in one more serious manner so criticism is more than welcome and required. Cheers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.06.10.jpg (81.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by AbuAmir : 06 June 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: i cannot see the image

Old 06 June 2010   #3
Enthusiasm

Being very enthusiastic about this forum I found the time to try some other 2 sketches. They are poor quality, obviously, but i found it normal/ The problem I have when i draw human faces is the hair. I don't know how to do it in a proper way. So please, leave me some advices. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.06.10b.jpg (55.0 KB, 12 views)

Old 06 June 2010   #4
Hi there Abu, I like your skull study it's pretty nice. What's your eventual goal with your drawings?

From what you've posted so far I don't have much critique to offer. Your first sketches looked better than the second batch to me. The mannikin you made shows that you're looking into how to do a quick shorthand pose but you will need some more practice to get it to work. The way it looks right now it is hard to tell which way they are facing and how they are standing exactly. Do you have any drawing books? I will pass on the recommendations that were given to me and I have found extremely helpful-
Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth"
Vilppu's drawing manual
Burne Hogarth's- "Dynamic Figure Drawing"

These books can be very helpful. Also looking through the forums is very educational. I spend some time every day looking through people's posts, they are inspiring and you can learn a lot from studying them.

Keep drawing, practice every day and you will improve!

My Sketchbook

Old 06 June 2010   #5
Hi Tasp! Thank you for your kind reply.
First of all, my goal is to improve just for my pleasure. I love to draw but I don't do it on a regular basis. Often I find myself doodling on little pieces of paper for the simple pleasure of drawing.
Second - i have some books but I didn't try until now to follow a strict study of them. As I said it is a hobby but I want to push it further.
Concerning my 2 posts - for the first one I had references and I spent a little bit more time. The second was intended to improve the capacity to quickly draw without references. Anyway, thank you for the advices that I'll try to follow.
I do the same as you do - I browse the forum and I watch other people works in order to understand how they do some things.
Cheers!

Old 06 June 2010   #6
Hello everyone!
This is an older image for which I used as reference an image from an adult site (these sites are great for anatomy learners).

Old 06 June 2010   #7
This is a quick sketch of my son struggling to reach one of his toys. Done in pencil in about 3-4 minutes. Edited a little bit in Photoshop mainly to increase the visibility of the line.

Old 06 June 2010   #8
The gesture of your son is great! My only advice is to avoid drawing the elbow so 90 degrees like that. And the tricep area of the adjacent arm doesnt need 3 lines to define the form. One line would be just suitable. =) Keep your pencil on the page as long as possible, and keep up the practice!

3D Stuff: Panda's 3D Characters

Blog: http://chuayou.tumblr.com/

Old 06 June 2010   #9
redpandfire: Thank you for the great advices! Cheers!

Old 06 June 2010   #10
Yes, the gesture of your son is really cool! Nice one. My only advice is to start stockpiling reference images that you like, and keep the drawings coming!

Old 06 June 2010   #11
jabuhrer: I already do this. My goal is to achieve speed and skills necessary to draw from life.

Old 06 June 2010   #12
I also like the image of your son, well done. I am curious what the toy is - is it a fish?

Old 06 June 2010   #13
DriftingEmber: Yes. It is a fish. Thanks for your appreciations!

Old 07 July 2010   #14
Since in the last time I was too busy to work, I try to catch up now. A WIP in SAI of a woman's face and chest. No references were used.

Old 07 July 2010   #15
No critics or suggestions for the last one?

Thread Closed share thread