Sketchbook / Sketchboard of Joshua Jacobo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
Sketchbook / Sketchboard of Joshua Jacobo

I have decided to start this thread in a dual effort to chart my own progress as well as interact with and share ideas with other artists.

I will be posting my own sketches, studies, and scribbles.

Joshua

Last edited by jjacobo : 04 April 2010 at 10:41 PM.

04 April 2010
After Michelangelo 01

Last edited by jjacobo : 11 November 2010 at 09:44 AM.

04 April 2010
After Pagani 01

04 April 2010
After Correggio 01

04 April 2010
Two Pelvis Studies

This was done several months ago. This is an initial study of the pelvis from a real specimen. I create these sort-of flattened die spreads when I am trying to learn a new bit of anatomy. I tried to make the forms very simple and clear and went out of my way to show depth and to show how the different views relate.

Here, I am tumbling the pelvis into space and trying to draw it from every conceivable angle. Once I do a diagram for an area of anatomy in the topmost image of this post I then try this sort of exercise to help ingrain the shapes into my memory. Again, a real specimen was used and the box-container was imagined.

04 April 2010
Skeletal Proportions

This quick and rather messy sketch shows me trying to apply Hale's proportions to the axial skeleton.

Last edited by jjacobo : 05 May 2010 at 11:56 PM.

04 April 2010
Hi Joshua, great to see these studies; they look very solid to me. Good linework too. Keep going!

04 April 2010
Thanks for the encouragement. I have hundreds of these shots and I'm not quite sure which should make the cut.

04 April 2010
Hi there,

Your work looks great and very polished, to me at least. Looking forward to more.

My Sketchbook

04 April 2010
Thanks, Tasp. I wouldn't call any of this polished but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

What do you think would be interesting for others? Anatomy sketches? Compositional scribbles? Drawings?

04 April 2010
I'm not assuming that these are finished drawings, mostly I'm was trying to say that I think your comments in the first post were un-needed. You're much farther along than myself at least, and there's no need to put your own work down, at least not if you plan to get better.

As for what to post, I think you'll find that you should post whatever you feel like. People will likely take a look no matter what you decide to put up. However the forum seems to work best if you take part in the community.

My Sketchbook

04 April 2010
Well, thanks for the crash course. I look forward to interacting with other users on the threads here.

Last edited by jjacobo : 05 May 2010 at 11:57 PM.

04 April 2010
Here is an ink and wash study of the spine and skull:

Last edited by jjacobo : 05 May 2010 at 11:59 PM.

05 May 2010
Some Ink and Wash Studies

I went to the Getty yesterday to catch the DaVinci exhibit and here are a couple of pages from my small sketchbook done in ink and wash:

I plan to return and do more in-depth studies.

06 June 2010

Last edited by jjacobo : 06 June 2010 at 02:10 AM.

Thread Closed share thread