Aggie93 - Starting Anew!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2010
Here is where I first introduced Allu. I was not even thinking of a graphic novel at this time. It was my interpretation of the Satyr et Nymphs painting. I decided to make it a Incubus et Succubi rendition. Each Succubi is an actual succubus character which I researched to make them more realistic... from mythical creatures.

This was a 24" x 36" color pencil work! My allu character took all aspects of the three lower succubi; see the tale of the bottom one and the horns of the one on the left. The upper one with the crown would be Lillith.

and here is a close up that I started digitally painting.

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

02 February 2010
Hey Aggie, I hope you don't mind but I've merged your threads, I think one or two is enough and you'll get more responses that way anyway. Thanks!

-R

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

02 February 2010
Hey!

I was recently told to read the book "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis.
So as I am more than halfway the book now, I can tell you that your graphic novel would benefit a lot if you put what Mr Loomis describes in his book in practice.

I like your Allu character.
She seems to have spirit.
The realistic Allu looks a lot more appealing to me, but I guess I just don't like manga that much. (You gave her brown hair though in the realistic sketch?)

What about the story?
Did you write a complete script beforehand or will you let the story develop as you go?

Congratz with the newborn btw.

02 February 2010
That is fine Reb. I should have used it anyway.

NR - I have a hard time breaking from the realistic style. I would like manga to be more simplistic but I do not draw that way. Allu was an evolving character when I learned more about her and the direction I wanted to take the story. As far as the story goes, I have an outline of what I want to have in the story but as I read more stories and watch more movies I change some of the details of the story. I am really having a hard time as to the format I want to make the story. Should I follow regular comic style or make it more like an illustrated book? I was thinking of a combination of both.

I am working on the Cerberus creature right now since I am snowed in at the house. I am mixing species; dragon, shark, snake, etc. I am putting the sketal features together to see if the animal works. Cerberus will be an ectosymbiotic species with Allu but it will be able to survive without her for a certain time, and visa versa.

Thanks for the input and advise. I will check into the Loomis book. Is there a PDF copy somehwere online?

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
Found the PDF copy of that Loomis book. You have to register for free and then download it. Here is the link. I will be working with this book as well as many others to refine my characters. I am still working on the skeletal structure of Cerebus. It is like playing... I hate to say it... god. I am putting together anatomy from different species. It is coming together quite well. I will post it later on today.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
You can also find them here
Best to right click and "save as"...

02 February 2010
Just a face study (manga style). No reference. Pencil... in a car!

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
Cerebus

Okay, well here it is. Without further addu...

CEREBUS

This is a concept sketch (my sketch book and son's school pencil that has not been sharpened). Being a symbiotic creature, I had to be creative with its design. That is exactly what this creature is... an it. It is a created being and is not reproductive in anyway. However, it is fully dependent upon its host but can survive for limited periods of time without being attached. My wife says it looks like a uterus.

This is its anatomy sketch (at home with a scrap paper and HB pencil). The resources used was not only the internet but also Angels and Demons in Art by Rosa Giorgi, How to Draw the Human Figure - An Anatomical Approach by Louise Gordon, and my son's Dragon Art - How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures by J "NeonDragon" Peffer. Now that I have the anatomy drawn out and scanned in, I will annotate the parts of its body that play an important role. It is headless but I had no idea what to do with it anatomically there. Then my 11 yo son had a great idea. He said have tenticles that would reach up into its host head or neck and attach itself to be controlled by the host. I am glad he reads a lot. He can help me with the story. Therefore I was looking at the head of a manta ray and came up with the idea to have one tenticle that would attach to the spine of its host. I will repost this later with parts listed. I wanted to get it up today so I can get feedback and possibly refine Cerebus better.
Okay, tear it up guys!

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
Hey Aggie,

about the character concept:

The decision to make her faceless is a tough and questionable one. How will you be able to express emotions, doubt, any kind of reactions and evoke reactions from your readers? Any illustrator will tell you to focus on head and hands to characterize the emotions of a given figure.
But even if you say "faceless!", then you need to make up a concept of "how faceless is faceless?" Is the face covered with skin, maybe you can imply facial features underneath? Work out a concept of how to put a faceless head to use!

Her nakedness makes me feel awkward. I am not too shy about nakedness in comic stories (i read japanese comics - yay for unmotivated glimpses on female anatomy!). I think it's because this fleshy thing snuggling up at her vagina.
I do think, though, that the symbiotic nature of her partner creature and the close connection is a great idea! Really original concept! Maybe you could try a minimalist clothing or equipment which integrates into both creatures?

I like the realist Allu painting the most. Your manga concepts are not too striking. I would say do a few versions of her. Different anatomy, different sizes and proportions. Explore her! And when you do concepts, leave out colour and cel shading, even value. For your comic concepts, forget all but two values: black and white. Use fat ink and linework. Dunk all the shades into solid black. Vary your line weight (thickness of line): outline contours heavier than inner contours, lower contours thicker than upper ones, thickest part of any curve on its saddle point.
BTW, you can go for full comic style and be realistic as hell. Check out this guy (the luke cage work in the galleries is awesome!):
http://www.shawnmartinbrough.com/galleries/#

http://www.publishersweekly.com/art...&rid=1375906730

Most important: For the sake of your comic as a whole, for the project as such - lay down your pencil/ink+pen and take your your word processor or typewriter and work on your story. Because - and I put it that bluntly to you, because I care - you do not have one. You have a setting or a starting point. But that's it. And that's not enough to start! Don't put all this energy (drawing energy) into something which still needs a story.
What is the scope of the story? How far back in time and ahead is your storytelling about to go? What are your main characters? Their biographies? What are their goals, what are their obstacles and resulting from this, their conflicts? What is the solution? Do a treatment for all the scenes you need and then distribute this into pages.

Then you have a very good situation to do some proper concept sketches and you will know your characters much better!

A few ressources:

a blog about doing a comic while we all watch... This blog post talks about starting without a story:
http://projectwaldo.blogspot.com/20...s-her-oats.html

Scott McCloud
http://scottmccloud.com/2010/02/12/...le-edged-sword/

Really looking forward to more concepts and all!

Last edited by Mu : 02 February 2010 at 08:57 PM.

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by Mu: Hey Aggie,

about the character concept:

The decision to make her faceless is a tough and questionable one. How will you be able to express emotions, doubt, any kind of reactions and evoke reactions from your readers? Any illustrator will tell you to focus on head and hands to characterize the emotions of a given figure.
But even if you say "faceless!", then you need to make up a concept of "how faceless is faceless?" Is the face covered with skin, maybe you can imply facial features underneath? Work out a concept of how to put a faceless head to use!

The skull would still be anatomically correct, just covered in a solid piece of skin. There is an Iraq war vet here in Texas that is having facial reconstruction from a bomb that went off. Right now he has no face, litterally. I am going to take information from that. I tried to find the story on the internet but I could not. I think that would get me to the facial expressions with shadows and eventually Allu will have a face towards the end of the story.

Originally Posted by Mu: Her nakedness makes me feel awkward. I am not too shy about nakedness in comic stories (i read japanese comics - yay for unmotivated glimpses on female anatomy!). I think it's because this fleshy thing snuggling up at her vagina.
I do think, though, that the symbiotic nature of her partner creature and the close connection is a great idea! Really original concept! Maybe you could try a minimalist clothing or equipment which integrates into both creatures?

So do you think I should do something else here. I have thought about other ways of covering her vagina, but I am not sure how to do that and still relate to the fallen angel concept. Angels are not male of female but in stories they typically are. Then, the concept of angels have no clothes. Maybe I could use the idea of a weapon belt to cover that area. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mu: I like the realist Allu painting the most. Your manga concepts are not too striking. I would say do a few versions of her. Different anatomy, different sizes and proportions. Explore her! And when you do concepts, leave out colour and cel shading, even value. For your comic concepts, forget all but two values: black and white. Use fat ink and linework. Dunk all the shades into solid black. Vary your line weight (thickness of line): outline contours heavier than inner contours, lower contours thicker than upper ones, thickest part of any curve on its saddle point.
BTW, you can go for full comic style and be realistic as hell. Check out this guy (the luke cage work in the galleries is awesome!):
http://www.shawnmartinbrough.com/galleries/#

http://www.publishersweekly.com/art...&rid=1375906730

Most important: For the sake of your comic as a whole, for the project as such - lay down your pencil/ink+pen and take your your word processor or typewriter and work on your story. Because - and I put it that bluntly to you, because I care - you do not have one. You have a setting or a starting point. But that's it. And that's not enough to start! Don't put all this energy (drawing energy) into something which still needs a story.
What is the scope of the story? How far back in time and ahead is your storytelling about to go? What are your main characters? Their biographies? What are their goals, what are their obstacles and resulting from this, their conflicts? What is the solution? Do a treatment for all the scenes you need and then distribute this into pages.

Then you have a very good situation to do some proper concept sketches and you will know your characters much better!

A few ressources:

a blog about doing a comic while we all watch... This blog post talks about starting without a story:
http://projectwaldo.blogspot.com/20...s-her-oats.html

Scott McCloud
http://scottmccloud.com/2010/02/12/...le-edged-sword/

Really looking forward to more concepts and all!

Lastly, The story is mostly in my head. I tried putting things on paper both in story format and storyboard format. I will check these links out and see if I can come up with something. Thanks Mr. Mu. You have been more help with this response than in the last few years of me toodling around with this. Let's see where this goes.

Thanks!

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
Okay, I began a Blog to post my ideas of the Allu story and possibly get feedback that way on the story. I have some many ideas going I need to settle on just a few. I really like Mr. Mu's post on Waldo (see above link). That is what gave me the idea. Anyhow, I will post here when I get some ideas on the Blog. Please click over there and keep giving feedback. Thanks!

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
Okay I finally posted something on the blog. I am writing it like a what does the writer want to see in the graphics. I hope this is the way to do it. I am encouraging feedback. Thanks!

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

02 February 2010
I added to my story on the Allu Blog site. It appears that many people are starting character models. I would like to get at least my character sheet started. I know of a few characters within my story. Again, visit Allu's Blog and give feed back to her story.

Thanks!

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

03 March 2010
I started working on my middle eastern woman for my story, which I think will be my other female character too. I went to a middle eastern clothing online store for a look at a good top. I hope this works. I am not too happy with the style of my work. I think I will redraw it.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

03 March 2010
Always good to support a fellow Aggie. Interesting stuff. I'm envious of the Cintiq.

Thanks and Gig'em. Also, no Aggie artwork? I'd love to see a good sketch of Mrs. Reveille.

Deviantart | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by The4thAggie : 03 March 2010 at 04:32 AM.

Thread Closed share thread