Sketchbook Thread of Maladie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
Sketchbook Thread of Maladie

Hello everybody!

I once was sort of a regular on CGtalk (the WIP-forum), but setting up my own company as a copywriter has used up all my time and energy these last 2 years, forcing me to set my more 'artistic' (or rather autistic) creativity aside.

Now that things have sorted themselves out a bit, I'm giving myself a big present by returning to drawing. I think this forum is a good place for me. Lately I've been documenting my life by keeping a 'journal' of superquick (gesture) drawings, along with short bits of text, which you will be spared. A big revelation happened when I bought this journal/sketchbook and a 2 euro ink pen. I've discovered it gives me a lot of flow and I love to capture the 'mood' of a day in some loose drawings & thoughts.

I just spent a rare, lovely weekend in Paris with my parents and sister. This is my mum lying in the garden of the Louvre, 5 min. Underneath two gestures of appr. 1 minute each. The old lady worked out, the other not so much...

A cop lays down the law on the square of Centre Pompidou, 2-3 min.:

Back in Holland on the train I see nothing interesting, so I draw my own leg, in app. 10 min. - ignore the text:

In a cafe with my boyfriend on my left (it took like 3 times to 'capture' him! I guess people closest to you are the hardest (and he still looks a bit like a deranged clown here)), 10 min...

...and our very good friend Anna on my right (with the light behind her), app. 5-10 min.

Last but not least, if you happen to go to Paris soon, check out the Kandinsky-expo in the Centre Pompidou! It's simply amazing.

Good night to all!

05 May 2009
maladie,
do you always work with ink? great drawings. i don't always have the nerve to commit to ink. it probably wouldn't hurt me because i erase too much. I started doing 5min and 10 min sketches for my anatomy sketchbook. i'm getting comfortable. Glad you found time to draw on vacation.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

05 May 2009
pretty cool ink work!
I like the drawing of your boyfriend

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

05 May 2009
Thumbs up

Good works, keep it up!

05 May 2009
I like the drawing of your boyfriend, too!

Also, yay! for your return to the forums. If you keep documenting your daily routine that way I will get to know how you are on a regular basis. How cool...

05 May 2009
Hi guys,

thanks for the warm welcome!

I never worked with ink before, I only bought the pen like 2 weeks ago. So all of this is pretty new to me. What I find particularly hard is indicating the difference between naturally dark and shaded planes. All is pretty sloppy. However I still like the vibrant quality of the lines. It seems to go with my personality or something.

If everything goes well I might participate in a neighbourhood project the last weekend of May, drawing portraits of the people who live there, who are from very different origins and walks of life. It's a voluntary thing.

What do you guys think: should I do it?
Ofcourse I could always add that I'm a beginner and might f up their portrait royally.

Okay here goes:

This week was packed with festivities for my dads 60th and work, so I didn't get many opportunities to draw. When I was home I only sketched homely things, like my boyfriend cooking for me (yes, he entertains and cooks, what a guy), 15 min. app:

Also in the living room: testimony to my boyfriends weird habit of drying underwear on the heater (5-10 min), and our beautiful big cat Mina giving me her best bad**s look (10 m). In the last one I tried hard on the shading:

Due to the busy week I spent a lot of time at the station and on trains. Three gestures above (+/- 2 min. each) are all of people looking at the train information. The lower portrait is of a guy on the train (5 scattered minutes) who kept looking skittishly at me. From his crisscross moustache (which wasn't there in real life) you can tell my difficulties with shading:

That's all folks! Have a good night (or day).

05 May 2009
Hi!

Nederlandsdtalig volk, leuk zeg

Nice inking!
You seem to sketch without thinking all too much, which is actually the best way to draw.
The drawing of your cat is really beautiful!

Oh and btw...

Quote:
If everything goes well I might participate in a neighbourhood project the last weekend of May, drawing portraits of the people who live there, who are from very different origins and walks of life. It's a voluntary thing.

Sounds like a great opportunity to draw!
I hope you'll go and post up some of the results (I know I would)

I'm inspired to do some drawing with ink now...
Cheers!

05 May 2009
Two sketches using ref material from the 15 Minute Sketchathon-thread. I know, these don't reflect my life...but they do actually. I have this health problem that forces me to spend half my days in bed - okay, 1/3. So this reflects the boredom of today when I have no opportunity to draw from real life - no whining intended.

20 mins just to complete the picture..:

Struggling with the planes: how to use shading in a less 'random' way and how to indicate big shaded planes without 'locking them in' like I did on the cheeck?

And, below (15 min. Jay!): how can I be more precise in the shapes and shading without losing the vibrancy and fluidity of the lines? Hmmm, I could spend years in bed figuring all this out...so it's all good!

PS. Johan: ja, leuk he, stiekem Nederlands praten

Last edited by Maladie : 05 May 2009 at 05:17 PM.

05 May 2009
Quote: Struggling with the planes: how to use shading in a less 'random' way and how to indicate big shaded planes without 'locking them in' like I did on the cheeck?

Pretty tough question, that one.
Well, at least one that can't be achieved in a short time, I think.
My guess is it's about finding the best way by trial and error, no shortcuts.
Perhaps next sketches you will find yourself going the other way with your shading and you'll find it too stiff. Then the next phase might be a bunch of sketches that will be too loosely/randomly shaded for your likings, etc
Like a fading soundwave...

I am not that much bothered with the randomness of the shading in fact, but I'm not fond of the fact that you don't lift your pen from the paper when making the next stroke during shading (the sitting woman with the drapery). Perhaps it was intentional? Maybe it was because you were feeling bored as hell. Personally, I think it looks a bit sloppy this way (no pun intended).

However, I do understand that perhaps you are not into having your drawings looking too clinical.

05 May 2009
Hmmm...lifting the pen...there's a thought. Thanks Johan that's actually an eye-opener!

05 May 2009
hey maladie. .
nice SB . . i really like the way you captured the feeling in first sketch of the sketchathon thread , ,
keep posting

05 May 2009
Hi sanpaiya - thanks! I like your work a lot, so yay!

I did a very interesting - if confronting - excercise today. I set a cooking alarm to 30 minutes and drew myself in exactly that time. Sorry guys, I didn't bother to comb my hair:

Positive: even if it's not very flattering, it does look like me. Plus I didn't erase anything, except for one shadow over the left (your right) eye.

Negative: shading! Aargh! I have two drawing moods: fussy or sloppy. This is a nice combo.

Actually this happens all the time with me. I start out really intuitively - come across my mistakes - tighten up - become really rational - start hating my work...This time I really want to keep the fun and flow going. I might not progress fast that way. But at least I'll keep trusting my instincts!

Thanks everyone - good pointer Johan - and goodnight!

Last edited by Maladie : 05 May 2009 at 08:04 PM.

05 May 2009
Added bonus: some old PS work from Sketchathon, practice and OFDW's. Just nice to have it all in one thread.

All these are from somewhere in 2006/7.

05 May 2009
You have a good work with ink and lineart, I like the post #8 and the last one paint of the man, keep posting.

05 May 2009
Really nice SP Rinske!

Quote: Actually this happens all the time with me. I start out really intuitively - come across my mistakes - tighten up - become really rational - start hating my work...This time I really want to keep the fun and flow going. I might not progress fast that way. But at least I'll keep trusting my instincts!

Coincidentially, I was just thinking about this as I am having a bit of a similar phase with my recent life drawing sessions. These phases tend to come and go with me but it can be pretty ennoying sometimes. I guess the only solution is to keep drawing and we shall overcome! LOL

Nice color studies too!

Thread Closed share thread