Sketchbook Thread of Vicmonty

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2009
Sketchbook Thread of Vicmonty

trying to grow as an artist. please help.

Last edited by vicmonty : 02 February 2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: fixed title

03 March 2009
Finally moving in

here's a 2, 5, 15 min gesture. Should I post the pics I used for ref? I use a victoria secret catalog. I thought they're nice for gestures. Oh, pardon the quality. I don't have a scanner at this time. I have a wacom, but no scanner yet. will have one soon though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gesta2min.jpg (25.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg gesta5min.jpg (21.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg gesta15min.jpg (35.3 KB, 58 views)

03 March 2009
15min sketch. oh, what do I do when my file attachment meter is maxed out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gestb15min.jpg (68.9 KB, 72 views)

03 March 2009
vicmonty, welcome! Check out this thread about image hosting:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=177&t=267088

-R

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2009
from this weekend

so tonights sketches are a bit weak. not too much difference between the 2, 5 or 10 min sketch. i think my 5 min sketch looked better than my 10 min sketch.

please be patient with quality. i will have a scanner soon. Thanks for stopping by. oh i'm drawing these to get out of the blank stare i get when i open my book. any suggestions on other things i can be doing?

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

03 March 2009
not so much today, but this daily speed painting. 2nd try at it. i thought there was a green hue to the pic so i tried to build on that in her hair.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

03 March 2009
Hi! Nice sketchbook start

Quote: My drawing time usually comes after work late at night, after the kids are asleep and my homework is done. My wife is patient with the computer or desk lamp on at night while she sleeps.

I can relate to your private situation very well, having 3 kids myself, a daytime job, and a huge to-do list. However, if I can do it, so can you!

Here's a few thoughts that pop up:
  • organising your day is imperative to achieve your goals. If you are truly honest to yourself, and you analize your average daily activities, you will find that there are plenty of "dead moments" which can be filled with sketching.
  • speaking of goals, set yourself some realistic longterm goals. Check out Bobby Chiu's video podcasts to learn about motivation and working towards goals. You'll find them at the tutorials forum or on youtube. (watch the oldest vid's first)
  • drop the color for a few months/years and study in grayscale to learn the basics. Not saying to completely ignore color, it is a lot of fun to paint in color, regardless the result. But color makes everything 10 times harder. (It's only after 3 years of grayscale studies that I am now gradually building in color)
  • some important basics most aspirants tend to skip or underestimate the importance of: perspective, contour, distances and proportions, linework economy and lineweight. Studying each of these for at least a couple of weeks will make an enormous difference in the end.
  • if you can, enrole at your local academy or do some life drawing sessions (it's possible, believe me... I spend 2/3 nights per week at school)
  • My 6y old son tells me "Giving up is no option"
Anyway, these are just some random thoughts that will hopefully encourage you on your path of becoming a skilled draughtsman.
Best of luck and most importantly: HAVE FUN CREATING!

06 June 2009
NR43,

Well this weekend, my wife delivered our 3rd child. Now I'm a father of 2 boys and 1 girl who is too old at 3 then she knows. Thanks for sharing man. It's good to hear these things. My wife is very encouraging also. Please give any more advice you got. I love to hear from those that been you know?

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

06 June 2009
Hi Vicmonty,

Well, I can't be more helpful than Johan, he's an amazing person, I'm not What I can say about your last drawing is that you're using too much line. In my opinion, anyway. When it comes to linework I find great inspiration in Bumskee's pieces. Doing some studies and taking from those what suits you might be helpful. There are others, of course, that you might find inspiring, like Glenn Vilppu or Marko Djurdjevic.

Take care ;]

06 June 2009
hey, congratulations man!

i cant give you any advice about managing a family, but regarding your sketches i have to second razz.
imo, you redraw the same line way too many times. concentrate on drawing with as few lines as possible. that way, you can expand the range of expression of your lines.

06 June 2009
Ah, I see now. Thanks. You mean to tell me there's no thread on here called "painting with children"? lol. I do throw too many lines on there. I always did. Not sure why though. My ink gesture drawings seem cleaner than my pencil work. Thanks again razz and shapemaster.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

06 June 2009
I agree with the others. Line economy is what you should focus on right now... and getting a daily routine (somehow, even if it is just 15min per day)

Oh and btw razz... don't be silly my friend, you truly are amazing! Don't you ever stop believing that! On top of that, you are incredibly skilled. There's a great path laying ahead for you and nothing's gonna stop you!
Everyone around here will confirm that!

Last edited by NR43 : 06 June 2009 at 03:30 PM.

06 June 2009
still on the early pictures here. I'll try to do one of these every day. I did this one and I'm thinking if it's worth placing it next to the photo. Now I'm just focusing satisfying the pixel parameters rather than the drawing itself. I guess with or without a photo you guys will be able to see if I did a good gesture or sketch right? So with that said, here's the side by side pic, but from now on I'll just post the sketch. I tried to keep my lines clean this time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

06 June 2009
try to find a dominant lines in the pose, when you found it (eg, from her underbelly over the left edge of her torso on to the bottom side of her left arm to end at the left hand). Think about the direction of these lines before you draw them. Observe carefully, then draw a line (a good trick is 3seconds looking, 1 second drawing, and so on)

another example is the outer edges of her right arm, the legs,...
again, observe (what direction should I draw this line I want to depict the outer edge of her forearm with? from where to where should I draw it? what about that negative space between her arm and torso? what's the angle of the upper arm in relation to the torso? and in relation to the forearm?

questions like that are can be asked continuously and extremely fast when drawing
(in the blink of an eye you ask one or even more questions once you get routine)
Like this, you will develop your own drawing language

good work!

06 June 2009
Thanks NR43. One thing we don't really consider is that drawing isn't really a mindless activity. We draw what we see so there is some thought. Explained in a manner like the way you did is not what is usually mentioned. People are always saying "just draw". Well, if we just drew instead of thinking in certain ways, we wouldn't show progress. Thanks again.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Thread Closed share thread