Sketchbook Thread of Bill Melvin - 2D/3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2010   #46
Thanks, Splinter. Yes, ZB does take a little bit to get used to as an app, but once it clicks it is pretty amazing and artist intuitive, due to how quickly results can be realized.

Thanks for the suggestions and paintover, mister3d. The head does need quite a bit of work yet, though I wont be extending the rear of the skull out as far as you’ve protruded the occipital bone. It’s a bit too exaggerated in the PO. You also added a much too masculine masseter to the mandible in your last po pic. Your depiction of the zygomatic arch terminates too low from the ear canal and is far too thick there in that last po pic. It actually ends just above it. Yes, the cranium tweaks would not take long, as with ZB sculpting in general, but I wont address the head until the body is done at this point. Unless I change my mind--again. I’m still not quite sure where I want to take the face, though I’m leaning towards an Alicia Keys look or likeness—which is far from where the face is now. The nose looks like a snout currently--has a Coati Mundi thing going on. Actually, I kinda like that look
As far as head study, I have plenty of reference of bald women and literally reams of anatomical textbook info. The head is no more difficult than the body to work out, since it is part of it.

Some nice images of bald women, by choice and not:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1183807@N22/pool/page4/

Old 11 November 2010   #47
Originally Posted by Quadart: Thanks, Splinter. Yes, ZB does take a little bit to get used to as an app, but once it clicks it is pretty amazing and artist intuitive, due to how quickly results can be realized.

Thanks for the suggestions and paintover, mister3d. The head does need quite a bit of work yet, though I wont be extending the rear of the skull out as far as you’ve protruded the occipital bone. It’s a bit too exaggerated in the PO. You also added a much too masculine masseter to the mandible in your last po pic. Your depiction of the zygomatic arch terminates too low from the ear canal and is far too thick there in that last po pic. It actually ends just above it. Yes, the cranium tweaks would not take long, as with ZB sculpting in general, but I wont address the head until the body is done at this point. Unless I change my mind--again. I’m still not quite sure where I want to take the face, though I’m leaning towards an Alicia Keys look or likeness—which is far from where the face is now. The nose looks like a snout currently--has a Coati Mundi thing going on. Actually, I kinda like that look
As far as head study, I have plenty of reference of bald women and literally reams of anatomical textbook info. The head is no more difficult than the body to work out, since it is part of it.

Some nice images of bald women, by choice and not:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1183807@N22/pool/page4/

Thank you for your critics. Anatomy is somehow a subjective science, as you can either stick to conventions or move away from them. The occipital bone can or cannot be protruded, depending on your preferences. Our anatomy teacher told us in ancient times if a person had it big, it was considered as a sign of a clever person. Then in asian heads like Chinese etc the rear of the head is pretty flat, whereas African have very long rears of the head. Still, I see most people use a classical proportions where the line where ear ends is the middle of the head. Just for the rear of the head I made, the neck seems too thin.
Women are often shot with diffused lighting, so the form is not shown as pronounced. I agree her line of the cheekbone is now too vertical and looks masculine in my variant. I guess you talk about zygomatic arch in the last paintover, yes, the skull looks a bit too low in that section. I made it correct in the upper variant, but went too far in painting.

Old 11 November 2010   #48
Body is looking much more attractive Bill. Looking forward to see what you do with the face.
Nice stuff man.

Old 11 November 2010   #49
Hi, I looked again at your head and I think the general shape is correct, I really made it too long, but the ear is too far away from the face, just move it closer to the right, and the cheekbone is also too long.

Old 11 November 2010   #50
Thanks for the comments, Chris and Alexander.

Here's an update on hands and feet. The fingers need a little fattening up--maybe.

Last edited by Quadart : 03 March 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Old 11 November 2010   #51
A little change of pace, from mundane realism to the dark and twisted.
This is a monochrome comp of my B-Movie challenge entry, using sketch and finshed elements, adding a texture overlay to give it an old film feel.
I probably wont go any further with it.

Old 12 December 2010   #52
Here’s a last update before finishing.
I worked on the head, with much yet to do there. The body is not there yet, needs global tweaks and final work on arms, neck, toes, all of the back, ….
–Cinema 4d render.

I’m playing around here with the notion of adding headgear/visor (simple warped object shown here as a proxy).

The heads a bit narrow due to focal length used. –Cinema 4d render.

Old 12 December 2010   #53
Hi Bill.
Love the monochrome entry above.

The figure is looking pretty awesome if you ask me. It is attractive as well as being accurate. I particularly like the knee, feet, arms,shoulder areas. If I had to nit pick the hands look a little flat, but that may be due to the pose. Can we have a back view please?

Looking great!

Old 12 December 2010   #54
Yeah man, this looks really neat now. Will watch the progress.

Old 12 December 2010   #55
thanks for posting. these are awesome. why go into zbrush? i no nothing about the program. did you start it to help with your anatomy study? i see a lot of zbrush work here and I was always curious about the program. Your PS arm study is my fav.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 12 December 2010   #56
Hey Chris, thanks. The back view really hasn’t changed much at all from the one shown in the earlier post. I am working on it, and will post some multiviews soon.

mister3d—Thanks.

vicmonty—Thanks for the compliments. I use Zbrush generally to create organic forms for illustrations (support elements). They’re usually just bits and pieces that enhance texture and shading. Most importantly, I use Zbrush, 3d apps in general, to cut illustration work time down enormously.
I’m doing this piece primarily because I’ve never sculpted a complete human, let alone in parts (beside the heads posted in this thread so far). This is really an observation and digital sculpting practice exercise with an emphasis on aesthetics than a purely anatomical study. Trying to capture organic forms accurately and portraying the poetry or aesthetic essence of them individually and as a whole is the goal. The subject could have been an old man, a horse, featherless parrot, hairless cat, etc.

Old 01 January 2011   #57
Well, this it is for the static pose. It still has quite a few things that need work, but I’ll go to the nth after posing the figure for a finished image, where the model will need major pose specific modifications. I abandoned the notion of creating a facial likeness for now. I like her current face, though it still needs fixes done.

I’m going to do a finished image, shooting for photo-realism, in B&W first then maybe moving on to a color image of some sort.
I illustrated the hair, brows and eyelash lines in PS. I wanted to see a hair version. I didn’t model it, since I’m not quite sure of the direction I want to go in with the hair or the figure yet.

*Right click for large versions.

Last edited by Quadart : 03 March 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Old 01 January 2011   #58
Hi, great piece that of B-movie.

And the woman´s model is just perfect.

Cheers.

Old 01 January 2011   #59
JM-art, thanks for the compliments--glad you like the images.

Old 01 January 2011   #60
She looks great Bill, and very attractive I might add.

Wonderful work man!

Thread Closed share thread