CGTalk > Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #61
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Wow Alexander! I really like the last one,... very nice approach. I think you bought out the planes in the face of the old guy really well. No crits except a taste thing, the skull and neck might be a bit shallow in the z axis

Cheers man.

Oh yes, you're right. Thank you a lot for constructive feedback.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #62
dscavenger
Frequenter

portfolio
Jaisan V
Takshaa
Trivandrum, India

the last sculpt looks cool buddy..good work..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #63
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Thanks man.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #64
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

As Spiritdeamer suggested, I read the book about wrinkles and trying to improve them.

Last edited by mister3d : 04-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #65
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 AM   #66
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
looking good Alexander!

Keep em comin

Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #67
Jimtuv
Veteran

portfolio
James Tuvell
Sylvania, USA

Send a message via AIM to Jimtuv Send a message via MSN to Jimtuv
Isn't amazing what a few wrinkles can do? Kinda like adding a dirt map to a mechanical model. It's the imperfections that bring life to a subject. I love your sculpts they are quite good. I too have found it easier to model some things then draw them. I wonder if the 3d aspect of modeling helps to map out the surface better in the mind then 2d does. I find when I am drawing a strong desire to be able to rotate the picture as I do when I model.

My Gallery

Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #68
bhaskar
Bash

portfolio
Bhaskar Rac
3d and Concept artist
Lakshya Digital
New Delhi, India

Nice works on wrinkles.....they look very much improved!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #69
SpiritDreamer
"Close Your Eyes and See"

portfolio
GLENN GALLEGOS
Boston, USA

Hi Alexander..
GREAT and study progress happening in your thread..
The Vietamese elder man with the facial hair on the previous page...Can really get a good sense of the underlying bone and volume structure in the face and hair..OUTSTANDING...
I read that you were having trouble with the dog sculpture..A GREAT little book on how to do animals is...HOW TO DRAW ANIMALS by Jack Hamm....and it's also very inexpensive...
You can find it on the internet....ALIBRIS .COM has good prices, and used books also which are even better priced..
In that book, he not only has about every animal..cats, lions,horses,dogs ect., but also shows their bone and muscle structure, and even more importanly, how they work while in motion/action..More than a thousand step by step illustrations..Really useful book,..I'm always reaching for it when doing animals..
Anyway, keep up the steady and great progress..always a pleasure seeing both..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 04-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #70
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimtuv
Isn't amazing what a few wrinkles can do? Kinda like adding a dirt map to a mechanical model. It's the imperfections that bring life to a subject. I love your sculpts they are quite good. I too have found it easier to model some things then draw them. I wonder if the 3d aspect of modeling helps to map out the surface better in the mind then 2d does. I find when I am drawing a strong desire to be able to rotate the picture as I do when I model.

You're right, with anatomy I feel it's easier to study the form when sculpting, especially in zbrush.
SpiritDreamer, thank you again for suggesting some useful stuff. I will definitely purchase this book. I'm planning finishing ecorche and then move to improving the dog.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #71
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Some more bastards. Critics are welcome.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #72
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Some fun for several hours. What's cool about it I didn't use any references, so I can see improvement in my feeling of form.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #73
jtvergarav
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chile

A lot of great stuff you got here man, specially all the cloth wrinkles and the character anatomies.

I usually just see male/female hero anatomy studies, not much of real human, like kind of fat, but not that fat, etc.
And I think making things without looking at references is silly if we have the opportunity to look at them ... buuuuuut, I also think that making things without reference is the ultimate approach of any artist.

I've met some people that work without reference. The vast majority of them doesn't do very good stuff, maybe because they aren't used to use references. The other part doesn't use references on purpose, and some of them even scare me. damn talented and disciplined fother muckers.

glad to see you sketch too man, you seem to manage very well on many areas.

Do you animate too?

looking forward to see more stuff!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #74
jtvergarav
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chile

btw, what book about wrinkles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
As Spiritdeamer suggested, I read the book about wrinkles and trying to improve them.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #75
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeminius
A lot of great stuff you got here man, specially all the cloth wrinkles and the character anatomies.

I usually just see male/female hero anatomy studies, not much of real human, like kind of fat, but not that fat, etc.
And I think making things without looking at references is silly if we have the opportunity to look at them ... buuuuuut, I also think that making things without reference is the ultimate approach of any artist.

I've met some people that work without reference. The vast majority of them doesn't do very good stuff, maybe because they aren't used to use references. The other part doesn't use references on purpose, and some of them even scare me. damn talented and disciplined fother muckers.

glad to see you sketch too man, you seem to manage very well on many areas.

Do you animate too?

looking forward to see more stuff!

Thank you Yeminius! Yes, you're right about references, it makes sense using them. It's just was a fun test. Sure I use references all the time.
It's a huge problem for me learning many things at once. Sometimes I feel I'm making a huge mistake learning alltogether compositing, lighting, characters... especially as I'm getting older and not yet a master at any of those areas. I learn several months this, then that... though, I get some progress in each area after spending time. I don't animate for now (I can animate, but not in a sense of a good animation), but I'm planning learning it... I know you have to spend 1,5 years to become a good animator, and those are only basics. That's a huge investment. But, from another point, if I learn animation, I will be able to start thinking about making my own videos like simple ads etc. Frankly speaking, I'm lost and don't know if I do any right thing or insane with all this learning. It takes much time. But, from another point, anything you learn becomes at your disposal as tools you use even without noticing it. Those things bug me all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeminius
btw, what book about wrinkles?

Burne Hogarth "Dynamic wrinkles and drapery". Check it out, it's a cool thing.

Thread Closed share thread