Anatomy Thread of Mister3d

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2009   #16
Hey Alexander! Great progress so far on the ecorche! I'll just say keep going, since I don't have too many critiques to offer at this point. Just keep a watch on the cross-sections, and make sure your cylindrical forms don't flatten out in places. You are doing a good job, so far!
You should consider buying the "Muscles of the Body" tutorial by Zack Petroc if you haven't already. http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/350

Old 04 April 2009   #17
Thank you for the feedback Anand. Good point on the form of muscles, as I work from books (and I only have a 360 degrees ecorche.mov, I think you know it), so the 3d form is a problem. I will look into the tutorial you suggested, thank you. Yep, some more progress as I work now with "claytubes" brush rather than with "standard", and it's more manageable to sculpt.
But actually I have no idea how I could control the crossections in zbrush. I have 2d crossections in an anatomy book to compare but how I can apply this I'm not sure.

Last edited by mister3d : 04 April 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Old 04 April 2009   #18
well, if you can take the mesh back to Maya(maybe at a slightly lower subdivision level) you can view the cross sections using this method:
Select the "top" camera and set the "near clip plane" at 0.001 and "far clip plane" at 1.
Keep the top and front views side-by-side and move the top camera up and down in the front view to see cross sections at different heights. You can even see the cross-sections of arms and such if you rotate the top camera and move it to the appropriate position.
Even if you are not using Maya, there must be some way of doing this in other software.. I am not really sure, because I haven't used anything other than Maya and ZBrush in a long while.

Old 04 April 2009   #19
Anandpg, thank you, great idea, I will check this out.

Old 05 May 2009   #20
Some update. It seems to me there's something wrong with the lower part of the arm (at least what I can see so far), but I can't figure out what exactly

Last edited by mister3d : 05 May 2009 at 02:07 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #21
Hi Alexander!
Lookin good mate.
The head could be reduced to about 80 percent of the size it is now. Might be real proportions but it looks very big. The upper part of the forearm in the view with the thumb facing us could move about 3-4 centimeters (model size) to the left.

Maybe try post pics that are no bigger than 800 pixels wide. It is easier to scroll down than across for viewers. Bet you are learning a lot with this study!

Cheerio Chris

Old 05 May 2009   #22
Originally Posted by Kanga: Hi Alexander!
Lookin good mate.
The head could be reduced to about 80 percent of the size it is now. Might be real proportions but it looks very big. The upper part of the forearm in the view with the thumb facing us could move about 3-4 centimeters (model size) to the left.

Maybe try post pics that are no bigger than 800 pixels wide. It is easier to scroll down than across for viewers. Bet you are learning a lot with this study!

Cheerio Chris

Hi Christopher, and thank you for your feedback and visiting.
I agree on the head and size of the pic, I will reduce it.
"The upper part of the forearm in the view with the thumb facing us could move about 3-4 centimeters (model size) to the left." - unfortunately i can't get this, if you will find a minute to make an overpaint I would be grateful (but if not, well, nevermin). It's so hard to understand the visual things with text.
Workflow has changed dramatically, and it is because of you by the way: you told me about retopology so it just another approach for me about character modeling. I will rework some of my characters next week starting from anatomically based sculpting in zbrush... I wish I knew about it a year ago when I started learning characters! I'm very happy about it, and thank you for this once again. I hope in a year I will get a grasp on anatomy, it's a hard nut...

Old 05 May 2009   #23
Hey hey!

Here is a quick-paint over, I hope it helps

Old 05 May 2009   #24
Menthol, great! Thank you!

Old 05 May 2009   #25
Ok
Aint no expert but with anatomy there is a balance between opposing curves. Most of them look pretty good. The red lines are to emphasize the opposition balance, they are not meant to be taken literally.

Cheerio Chris

Old 05 May 2009   #26
Kanga, that's great, exactly what I needed. Thank you for the efforts.

Old 05 May 2009   #27
Modeled some teeth.

Last edited by mister3d : 05 May 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #28
Working on a test eye. I'm gonna refine it and texture tomorrow. I will also test an occlusion pass for the eyeball for a proper shading.

Last edited by mister3d : 05 May 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #29
A little update.

Old 05 May 2009   #30
the eye is looking great.

you picked up zbrush quite quick. good progress so far on the ecorche.

Thread Closed share thread