Sketchbook Thread of Heozart

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2008   #1
Sketchbook Thread of Heozart

I used to have an anatomy thread, but it got locked due to inactivity, so I am starting fresh here. I intend to update my thread as often as I can this time. Here are some recent pages from my sketchbook:

Old 06 June 2008   #2
hey, that s a unique style of yours on the first pages!
very interesting and creative stuff here

like to see more

Old 06 June 2008   #3
Yes! very different! Welcome back! looking forward to more of your work!

Old 06 June 2008   #4
BapKe and Anand, thanks! I probably should mention that I usually draw from reference, books, movies, pictures from the internet, etc. I am using a brush pen for a lot of these drawings. It is great for dynamic lines, but I have yet to figure out how to shade with it effectively.

Here's a new page from today. I can't wait till Kung Fu Panda comes out on DVD so I can watch it again.

Old 06 June 2008   #5
Hey! I recognize those lovely Loomis heads. Excellent source of info.
Nice inks! There is a definite confidence to your lines. That's a very ccool way to practice yuor figure work.
Have you tried a watercolor wash for shadows over your ink lines? You can feather the edges out with water. Or even a gradated value with several markers. That would look sweet.

To answer your question on construction: It's exactly that. To draw the muscle over the initial gesture line/lay-in. So, it's a process where you block in a form's space including gesture, than define or carve out the muscle over this.
As in the Loomis heads where you see the lines of placement for eyes, mouth, etc. on a block form, those are construction lines. The eye and mouth, nose shapes are placed over or carved out of this block. That's construction. You're already doing it. You now apply this same process to a life drawing.

Old 06 June 2008   #6
Esmeralda, I can't thank you enough for your suggestion to feather with water! I bought a grey Faber-Castell brushpen to use for that purpose, and I have been rather unimpressed. I went over these new drawings with a damp brush, and I like it! I think I am going to get some watercolor pencils and see what they add. Oh, and thank you for explaining construction, too.

Old 06 June 2008   #7
great stuff. i really like the cartoon characters studies.

cant wait to see more,

itay

My sketchbook thread

Old 06 June 2008   #8
Thanks for the comment itayg. Those cartoon characters help me have some fun. I think Corpse Bride in particular is a great source to learn facial expression from. While they are exaggerated, the puppets' expressions are still bound by physical limits. I should do more focused studies from Corpse Bride when I get a chance. I got lazy today and didn't draw anything, but here are some Sweeney Todd studies I did back in May.

And Lord Barkis from Corpse Bride:

Old 06 June 2008   #9
So I was walking down the street yesterday to get dinner, and saw this art gallery where they have daily life drawing sessions. I knew what I needed to do and bought a monthly pass. Here are my very first life drawings:

1-5 minute poses:

10 minute:

30 minute:

The lighting was confusing because they were coming from different directions. Should I emphasize only the most dominant light source and try to ignore other sources as I have in some of the 30 minute poses, or should I draw what I see and leave most of the figure in light?

Old 06 June 2008   #10
totally agree about Kung-Fu Panda - it was awesome Especially the turtle

and I love Corpse Bride Nice studies all round!

Old 06 June 2008   #11
great stuff!
keep at it

Old 06 June 2008   #12
Magdalena, hehe, yeah I loved the turtle. And Tai Lung was really scary for an animation character. I will be watching Wall-E soon. It will be hard to top Kung Fu Panda with a robot, but Pixar has never disappointed me so hopefully it will be good.

Johan, thanks for visiting.

From today's life drawing session. I was struggling to get the hang of it for some reason, especially with the quicker poses. I am going to tomorrow's gesture drawing session, so hopefully I will learn something.

1-minute:

2-minute:

5-minute:

10-minute:

45-minute:

Old 07 July 2008   #13
I have been to two more life drawing sessions since my last post, but I did not take pictures of my drawings because I was disappointed by them. I will keep going though, and will post decent ones.

Hand #1 from the workshop. 1 hour in photoshop

Kung Fu Panda study, done in Painter Essentials. I don't quite understand this program, but trying to get used to it since I am waiting for Painter X in the mail.

Old 07 July 2008   #14
Nice sketches, I really like the ink and brush ones, you have great linework!

Enjoy your life drawing sessions, I really get a lot out of going to mine, though some days are definitely better than others. Look at it this way, even if you don't get a great drawing, you've learned something - least that's what I tell myself

Looking forward to more!

Old 07 July 2008   #15
Ceruleanvii, thanks. I do enjoy the life drawing sessions. I just hope that when I mess up, I am learning what not to do rather than reinforcing bad habits.

Hands 03. This one took forever at 5 hours. Now that I compare it to the reference, head became too small and the hand looks funny. I am still quite happy with how it turned out. This is probably my best painting yet, although it isn't saying much. Part of the reason this took so long was because I tried using soft brushes. I have avoided using soft brushes in the past because I don't like things looking too.....well, soft. I learned that it is much easier for smooth blending, and I just need to go in after with a hard brush to define edges.

Thread Closed share thread