Sketchbook Thread of Gregoo23 2D/3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2008
Sketchbook Thread of Gregoo23 (2D/3D)

Hi all,

I finally decided to create my sketchbook thread. I never went to art school but lately I decided to spend my spare time learning the basics of Art. I'm currently a 3d animator which I enjoy a lot, but i'm also really interested in drawing, paiting, sculpting, and so on. That's why I think this thread will help to me to learn from the others and get good feedback on my works.

Here are some studies I did from photographs of this really cool website : http://characterdesigns.com/index.p...epage=photosets

Another one:

My first attempt at portrait digital paiting. I started this one in monochromatic to work more on values.

This original sketch which i realize now looks better than the painting :d but again it's my first try so i promise i'll do better next time

This one is a recent head study in Mudbox. I used separate references for features but global head shape is from imagination.

I'd appreciate any comments and critics on my work. All I want is to improve so I'll try to post new artwork as much as i can here.

Thanks

Greg

Last edited by gregoo23 : 03 March 2008 at 08:32 AM.

03 March 2008
Quick master copy from David D'anger "Chateaubriand". I used a method I found on a great tutorial by zhuzhu, using big shapes to block shadows and highlights:

Comments welcome

03 March 2008
Hi Gregory!!... Welcome!... great start!. Always glad to see 3d artists in this section!

03 March 2008
Thanks Anand! Comments always refuel motivation . Your anatomy thread is really inspiring, great job!

03 March 2008
Hi Gregory
Nice stuff! Like the mudbox thing alot.
Welcome.

Cheerio Chris

03 March 2008
Welcome aboard, looks like you have a good start here. It's good to see the grayscale digital pieces, I think that should really be anyone's focus who's starting out in painting. Looking forward to more.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2008
Thanks Rebecca and Kanga

I indeed try to learn step by step, and before moving to colors I prefer to work with values. This forum contains lots of useful materials to start with.
I'm still at the beginning but I enjoy learning a lot.
I'll try to put some gesture drawings as well soon.

03 March 2008
well I say you've got quite a lot of skills with painting already even though you haven't studied any of it Great job and I do like the head sculpt too! Keep going

03 March 2008
Thanks for the support Magdalena
Well I know it will take more time to learn by reading books and studying on my spare time but I'm patient and i really want to become a better artist!
Here are some figure studies I did from G. Vilppu examples and others from posemaniacs web site (great reference material!). Head is from imagination.

03 March 2008
Hi,

Tonight's study was an eye. I recently bought W. Maughan "Drawing the head" which deals with replicating shadow shapes and negative spaces to acheive likeness. Great subject to study. Here's my attempt in painter. I'll try to make a full portrait soon

Cheers

03 March 2008
That's a great book, I have my students draw from that in order to learn the structure of the head. Looking forward to more studies!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2008
Hey,

Here's an attempt to acheive likeness using principles of Maughan's book on a digital paiting from photograph. 2h of work in photoshop. I know the hair and clothes need a bit more work but my main concern was to acheive some likeness.

Hope you like it

03 March 2008
Nice work! Maybe push the values a little further, get some stronger lights and some stronger darks? Good stuff.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2008
Thanks Rebecca.

Here's an update and I think you were right with pushing the values. I hope it's what you meant

03 March 2008
Hey, I think that's better, the only thing that I might recommend is toning down the highlight on her forehead so that it is not the exact same value (and size) as the highlights on her cheeks. I might suggest darkening the tone of the left side of the forehead (our left) because that edge against the dark area of the hair makes the forehead really stick out.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread