Sketchbook Thread of Jmart

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2009
I really like the image with the maze underwater!

03 March 2009
Love the concept on the maze underwater image...A bit more photorealism on the image might make it really stand out

03 March 2009
Zunpin, magdalena, and vikramvr....thank you very much for your comments...i thought nobody liked the image, so they are a relief to me.

So here is the last entry, i was confused about the deadline, so this one was made in the extra day we had...low resolution.

full resolution

an sketch of Santa trainning for the christmas.

04 April 2009
Hi there people, i want to show this Lennox Lewis caricature, and my final entry for the harcore mini challenge 80's Cartoons, its a version of Hordak if you remember him.

Here are the other renders if you want to see:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...40&page=4&pp=15, is the last one ..post 59.

Feedback requiered.

Ive learned a lot doing this one, i experimented with the base mesh modeling in Silo, and the rest was done in Maya and Zbrush. Now i have more control about this workflow, which i
want to learn since...ever.

I found that this challenges and competitions like the Jacek Yerka for instance are a very good way of learning, its fun, you do what you want (between the topic of course), and makes you work harder and better because a lot of people will watch your work and you want to show your best.

The next challenge is in discussion yet but will probably be "human anatomy cutaway", so be aware.

Cheers.

Last edited by JM-art : 04 April 2009 at 01:48 AM.

04 April 2009
Great job doing the dwarf, this kind of drawing forces you to really focus on form and that's the most important at this stage. Keep up mate, looking forward to see more.

10 October 2009
Hi there, here is a sketch i did today (inspired by frazettas work -but without reference-), maybe ill finish it, maybe not .

Critics are cool.

10 October 2009
Some colour experiment, this is not a finished work, but wanted to share in case some of you wants to comment. The head of the "lizart wizard" needs a lot of refining.

11 November 2009
Hey JMART! I went through your thread this morning and realized you have made HUGE growth buddy. From your sketching, to the color application, and your overall ability and comfort level using digital media you have made great progress! I think your last finished piece (underwater- overwater abstract) turned out very well...it was nice to see how you developed that from beginning to end. I love the idea of the whale carrying the island...although he is somewhat hidden in the final version. That Lennox Lewis caricature and the mushroom enviro are great too. I understand finishing a 2D work does take a bit of time...and your other art mediums (3D for example) are great to do as well. I think most artists are lazy by nature...and its hard to stay focused and motivated on a single piece when new ideas are always coming. Patience is a great tool for artists, and using digital media allows us to save a file...and return to it whenever we can. Anyway i hope you continue to put your ideas into images and keep pursuing your ultimate potential....and keep drawing on paper!!

For this last color study creature i would say this- The background is very bold and bright... which takes some of the focus off the subject. As far as the creature, its a good start...but you might consider where his light source is coming from...and shade him based on that. I think you could still use the background colors as "side lighting filters" that reflect various colors off his skin. I think the values still need some work...but he's a cool lizard guy!

11 November 2009
Rabid, thanks a lot for the compiments and for taking the time to tell me what you like and what you think that can be improved, your feedback is a great value. About the last piece, get bored of that one, it was just a random sketch with some colour experimentation mixed.

About drawing on paper...absolutly, in fact a week ago from your post i purchased a sketchbook with toons of shields (cheap ones but for sketches i want to do a lot and not preocupate for the costs of that)...i did some sketches, when scaned ill post.

So, here is a new 30 min sketch from a Nat Geo picture. Im in a fase where i want to copy more and imagine less, because i feel i need to understand better the facts, forms, colors, and light from real world before inventing my own things.

Thanks, cheers!!

11 November 2009
another one...this one take an hour aprox.

11 November 2009
The last one for the day.

11 November 2009
Wonderfull updates dude, keep up this route and you'll be rewarded. For the sake of study, hard round brush with opacity-pressure settings is a powerfull tool to explore things. Yes, you can do it in colors, but in grayscale you do at least 3-times more(if not more) and more focused ofcourse. If you use custom brushes, colors, it's not a study anymore - it's a speedpaint, and a speedpaint is evil if you are not quite sure what you are doing. When I do a study, I often limit myself to a pencil and paper, because Photoshop itself keeps me away of the right intention of the study. And on a paper, you are more willing to leave a bad sketch and start another one and you end up with like 10 different sketches on the same subject, and the last ones are really far better than the first ones. While in PS, I have the tendency of not leaving a bad sketch but fudge around the mess and tweak and tweak and, it's all gonna be flatter, muddy, and simply terrible. On paper, without the undo ability, I try to focus on not repeating the evident mistakes and progress with the sketches, not mess with them.
That Nat Geo river image look great and is simple and readable. Try to keep this simplistic approach in mind. Cu buddy

11 November 2009
Siiilon, thank you for the reply you have a very good point about using one brush with grayscale and about drawing on paper. Just in a previos reply (#69 ) to Rabi1d i sayd im doing sketches on paper (but not scanned yet), wich is a thing that cant be replaced with PS for me either. Your post and the Rabid1 one help me to reinforce the importance of that approach.

keep in mind that the studies can be about lots of things, for example in the previos 3 speed paints (like you say) i wanted to loosen up and play with colours and light a little and understand better the scale aspect of the subject. About undoing, i think the same so i realy not use it very much...90% of what you see in the 3 previous paints is without undo, and the rest is just a little adjustment. I think Is better to do more (and maybe with evident errors) and without going back, that overdoing things(wich realy like you say the result is probably..aghhh).

So, for future updates ill try to do that thing you suggest of the hard round brush with opacity-pressure settings, to see what i get.

Thanks again.....cheers.

11 November 2009
Hey there, please let me react on this so that we can prevent any misunderstandings.
Yes, there are many types of studies and there is nothing wrong with playing with PS and do these kinds of speedpaints for the sake of getting used to some tools and and just to relax by painting freely. It all depends what you want to learn. If you want to study bear anatomy, it's not good way to play so much with the fur and forget all the forms and structure beneath.
You can do whatever you want and you shouldn't force yourself doing something, because you most probably won't enjoy it and without enthusiasm there is no learning. Find something you like and stick with it. Just always check you are not going in a circle without a real intention, if you wanna learn, if you wanna be better. And undo is not a bad habbit, but excessive use of undo could lead into many different bad habits. Undo is as good as eraser or overpaint, it all depends. If you want to paint a beautiful splash of water, full of dynamic and life, you may want to achieve that in few perfect strokes. In that case, undo is a good way.
So, please do these speedpaints if you enjoy them, but if you want to learn something particular, try to focus on it and leave all other things for that moment. Your learning will be less painful and quicker.
CU

11 November 2009
Originally Posted by siiilon: but if you want to learn something particular, try to focus on it and leave all other things for that moment. Your learning will be less painful and quicker.
CU

Thats very true, is too easy to lost the focus on a determined goal.
As well of the others things exposed i think exactly the same.

My goal with these speed paintings is just to experiment a little to see what i get and do it quickly because one of my interests is to achive a more spontaneous feelings in my draws, with more life and energy, but manteining the basic structure of things. Im saying all of this because probably i wasnt clear enough before about what im looking for right now.
Here is another one:

Thread Closed share thread