Sketchbook Thread of Jmart

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2008   #31
Hi,

nice sb.

For your digital painting:
I would say keep practicing with painting using hard brushes. It's easier to define form with a hard brush.
Also, try not to make your outlines too thick. They flatten the forms.
Avoiding black is also a thing to remember.

Keep drawing traditionally as well!

Old 09 September 2008   #32
hi NR43, thanks for the advices, i appreciate it and iīll take care of those things.

Here is a sketch that i made while playing with Sketchbook pro (itīs great for sketching).

Itīs not planned and the composition its horrible, but i want to show it because i think that it has more contrast an definition than others of my sketchs.

Cheers.

Old 11 November 2008   #33
Hi there, i would like to hear some opinions obout this draws....objective...subjective.....all C&C are welcome.

Some of this were made from imagination, and others by looking photo references.

so....

Hi there, i would like to hear some opinions obout this draws....objective...subjective.....all C&C are welcome.

Some of this were made from imagination, and others by looking photo references.

so....

By the way, i recently buyed the Wacom Intuos 6x8 , and itīs amazing, i had the grafire 4x5 and it was ok, but this one....a real pleasure. Iīm saying this in part because iīm realy happy with the inversion and because maybe there are some people that, like me, isnt too shure about the upgrade. So my advice will be that for a person who is trying to be professional, this thing gives you all you need for draw digitaly, iīll say itīs a must.
For all the others, the graphire or bamboo(i didnīt use it but has 512 levels, just like the graphire line) are a very good option. If the money isnīt a matter for you and you just like to draw...Intuos.

Cheers!

Last edited by JM-art : 11 November 2008 at 02:25 AM.

Old 11 November 2008   #34
This ones are from a year ago, based on photographs of statues, with some changes for fun(the first one).

And a few of abstract style:

Old 11 November 2008   #35
Quote:

Great stuff, I think you're doing great. The hardest part I've found is sticking with it when you really think it's hopeless. Just my amateur opinion...

-L

Old 11 November 2008   #36
Thanks Lex, i appreciate your words .

Here is a quick and improvised concept of a feminine robot:

Old 11 November 2008   #37
Hey Juan, glad to see you posting new stuff again! I like that you are experimenting with your new tablet and trying out different brushes/compositions. I can see improvments too, in the line quality and confidence of the strokes.

For crits i have this- it looks like you are breaking out of a strictly linear style of drawing and stepping into the realm of painting. The fish piece is your most developed one from the last group, it has 90% completion- all that is missing is a finished background! As you once advised me.... it might be a good time to really focus on ONE piece, giving it your all, tackling composition, color, value, texture, and lighitng.... really try to accomplish a goal of some type. Maybe try mixing elements from your imagination and from ref in one seemless work of art.

Color- focus on studying color theory and lighting!! I don't know if you decide the colors before you work, but maybe figure out a palette before hand, and see what happens?

KEEP IT UP MAN!

Old 11 November 2008   #38
Hi there Zach, thanks for the nice comments and thanks for the critics, thatīs what iīm looking for.

About finishing some pieces and the colours procedures, those are two things that i actualy want to change....but ... In the case of finishing a draw, i have a problem, and is that i get bored pretty easy with one piece and just begin a new one...all of this without any planning, i just open Ps or sketchbook pro and begin to draw. Other thing about this is that i spend a lot of time practicing and learning about Maya and Zbrush, and finishing a 2d piece would take some time.
In the case of the colours, i need to learn more realy.....teory and techniques. The other day i made 3 palettes in Ps, but never used them .

I have in mind 2 or 3 concepts to work on, i mean, not just sketches, but finished draws, (thatīs easy to say), so, time will tell.

Thanks again, i take note of the advices.

Cheers .

Last edited by JM-art : 11 November 2008 at 12:03 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #39
Hi there, I like how this one is going, the idea is finish it and maybe show it in the 2d showcase forum, but before that i realy want to hear some opinions about it, so please let me know how you think

Old 02 February 2009   #40
You're really makking progress. You don't need to bother with colors when sketching, until you're really confident (my opinion). And it's always good way not to start anything from black or white canvas. And the last thing, don't fear of hard brush and leave airbrush to where really needed soft gradients. I see really great progress here, much bigger than mine
Keep up >

Old 02 February 2009   #41
nice work all around I like those creature work specially and the lion study is also beautiful.

Old 02 February 2009   #42
Nice work Juan

Concerning your last piece, I think it needs highlights.
It basically needs a strong light source.
I would experiment with adding highlights on the face. This will also increase contrast and point the viewer to the focal point(s)

Old 02 February 2009   #43
Hi!

@siiilon:Thanks, and youīre right about not to start anything from black or white canvas, i know it but often i forget it .

@Deepam:Thank you!

@NR43:Thank you , and yes, what you say is true. That piece...well, i just never finished, maybe iīll give it a try later.

i made this one for a web competition, subject:"winter". I called it "pescando frio"...means: "cold fishing"(or fishing cold maybe..iīm not shure). I hope you get the point.

Cheers!

Old 02 February 2009   #44
Originally Posted by JMART: Hi there, I like how this one is going, the idea is finish it and maybe show it in the 2d showcase forum, but before that i realy want to hear some opinions about it, so please let me know how you think

Hey there, some really cool stuff happening in here, I wish this were for the IFW.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 02 February 2009   #45
Very cool stuff! I really like the fish. You handle your lines very well.

Keep playing around with ZBrush, you have a good start on that head, and with some massaging it could turn out really cool Just a suggestion, I use a lot of the 'Clay Brush', I always seem to be able to get decent looking natural shapes with it, especially when it comes to sculpting muscles and larger features.
Keep up the good work!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Thread Closed share thread