Sketchbook Thread of Jmart

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
Hi...Juan...
I did a really quick paintover of your piece...just alot easier to show than to say, and to see rather than to read/hear sometimes,makes it alot easier to understand..for me anyway.
DRAMATIC LIGHTING, AND COLORS, along with alot of wavey curves,and diaginals in the composition can really enhance the motion/action.
Spotlight the center of interest..subordonate all else,...or else the viewer will be torn between elements, confused in direction, and will quickly loose interest.
Make the land itself have a wavey/not level feel to it...adds to motion, depth, and creates an imballance,that is ballanced,.. which is what you want in an action battle scene..controlled chaos...
Hope this helps some..
I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF YOUR WORKS, STUDIES,..and the PROGRESS that will come with them.
REALLY ENJOYING YOUR THREAD SO FAR....KEEP GOING..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 02 February 2008 at 03:52 AM.

02 February 2008
Hi Glenn and thank you a lot for the paintover and the advices about composition, colours, etc.
I learned a lot from your post, and ill definitively keep in mind what you said for the next time.

And thank you for the encourage, thats a big help too.

see you soon.

03 March 2008
master copie

Hi, another master copie(an angel from Rubens), took about 2 hours and this time done in photoshop.

Cheers.

05 May 2008
Hi there, id like some feedback about this heads please, Im practicing with the book " Drawing Heads And Hands" (Loomis), as guide. First is with Sandra Bullocks picture as reference, second is from imagination, third is Walken, and the big one is a caricature of Enrique Bunbury, a spanish singer(from the band "heroes del silencio"). The rest are simple sketches and the draw of the eagle is an old one.

See you.

08 August 2008
Hi, some draws ive been doing, some sketches and some more detailed but i cant consider any of these like finished and i dont care too much becouse im practicing and triyng to understand about anatomy and workflows and i dont want to pressure myself to do things perfect or whatever.

Please tell me your opinion....objective, subjective..any comment will be realy apreciated.

so here we go

08 August 2008
Good Going! All the sketches in the last two posts are awesome! also liked the medieval battle scene painting and the paintover done by Glenn.. both are superb! Great Progress in your works! Keep updating.. love to see more of such works

SKETCH THREAD

08 August 2008
Wow, namnocilis, your words are gold to me, thank you a lot.... ill keep posting.

Cheers .

08 August 2008
hi jmart,
your paintings could use a little more highlights and less smoothening, atm theyre looking a bit dull, beside that youre doing a great job!
the portrait of the lady could be a great one, but the hair kinda drags the rest down. this site has a great hair tutorial which explains the principles really nicely. if youre interested you can check it out.

bye

08 August 2008
Yes, the hair on that portrait its terrible, and i agree about the need of highlights and the smooth feeling....in fact, ill keep that in mind for the next drawings. I use to set the brush hardness to zero, but ill give it a try at 50% and more and see what happens.

I realy apreciate your advices and the link(im seeing some nice stuff here).

Cheers.

08 August 2008
some concepts

Hi, another improvised concept, is some kind of female atletic alien. I used hard brushes to avoid the smooth look in this case.

an updated with changed proportions(liquify filter) to make the character looks more like a female:

and the male version, but in this case a warrior; i aplied the liquify filter to the previous image and change the proportions, then i painted on top to achive what i wanted.

Last edited by JM-art : 08 August 2008 at 03:24 AM.

09 September 2008
Hello again...a Zbrush experiment that ive made from a sphere...Zbrush is realy fun .

Its some kind of indian totem.

09 September 2008
Hey man, nice stuff so far. I can see an improvment in anatomy and technique from the beginning. As far as suggestions, i would agree with Shapemaster, that you could probably use more strong and directed highlights/shadows. This doesn't mean go putting tons of shiny white spots everywhere, but rather pin-pointing your values early on. What many of the good artists here do is, first sketch out their subject in black and white, or at least monotone because this is much easier than trying to tackle lights/darks AND color at the same time. Then afterward, go in and add colors on separate layers (in photoshop), and continuing in this process. Of course, whatever way you can achieve the results you want is the best method for you.

Also, I really like the celebrity head studies you did, the Sandra Bullock one was especially good, and you did great with her hair. I think the more of those finished studies and master copies you do, the better your personal stuff with be.

The more you learn, the more power you have to control your own ideas and get the images out of your head and onto a picture. Keep it up, and thanks for motivating me!

09 September 2008
Thanks for posting Rabid1, thanks to shapemaster and you i realized of this issue of lack of highlights and shadows in my drawings...ill have this in mind for future draws. I always had problems with shading and colorize at the same time, so that thing of make the values first and the colors on top should be a good solution.

Cheers!

09 September 2008
an experiment with hard brushes:

09 September 2008
Playing with Zbrush, this is what came up, any C&C on this one will be apreciated.

Cheers!

and a version based on that head

Last edited by JM-art : 09 September 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Thread Closed share thread