CGTalk > Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
Agnaldo
Veteran

Agnaldo S. Almeida
Digital Draftsman
So Paulo, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to Agnaldo
Head Worshop #02

First of all, my apologizes for a long time without posting, looking and commenting your artworks. I got a boring week at the job, and that have sucked out all my energy. I didnt had drawing for an entire week. And thats not god when youre focused. :(

Thats below is the second of the drawings for the Head Workshop. This time I didnt make the same mistakes drawing with graffiti over a kraft paper. :-P

As Ive said in my blog, I really enjoy that one because in all the drawing process I felt security and confidence. Ive found the mainly features in one hour or less, did the basic shading and then spend more time blending. Considering I pass an entire week without touching the pencil, well, I guess thats one of the my best.

Hope you like it.

agnaldo(at)fastmail.fm

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
Agnaldo
Veteran

Agnaldo S. Almeida
Digital Draftsman
So Paulo, Brazil

Study #03 - Head Features

The drawings bellow are the continue of the Head studies based in the Hogarth's books. This time I'm going to "attack" the main features of the head (superciliar arch, eye socket, nose brigde, etc...).

The one with the eyes I did today at morning, and I admit, Eyes are one of the most difficult things to draw in the face. They add too much for the character... So, I hope spend more days "understanding" and trying to draw believable eyes .

agnaldo(at)fastmail.fm

Old 08-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
anandpg
Expert

portfolio
Anand PG
Modeler
Dreamworks Animation
Bangalore, India

Send a message via MSN to anandpg Send a message via Yahoo to anandpg
Hi Agnaldo!! Great start! keep up the good work!!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #19
NR43
Student for Life!

portfolio
Johan Derycke
Stedelijke Academie voor Beeldende Kunst Leuven
Meerbeek, Belgium

Send a message via MSN to NR43
Hi

nice job on the head from the anatomy workshop.

Hogarth has some great books. The illustrations in his books are not as important as his words though. Make sure you know what he is talking about and don't feel obliged to copy his style of drawing.

Keep at it!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #20
Trunks
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Thomas Korczok
Essen, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Trunks
WOAH great work, interresting way of drawing ... MORE !

Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
rdsarna
"The Illusionist"

portfolio
Ratul Sarna
Student
New Delhi, India

Send a message via Yahoo to rdsarna
Hey Agnaldo!
Beautiful sketchbook you've got here! Really great drawings...
I especially like your lines and hatching!

Waiting for more........
Ratul

My Blog

Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
Agnaldo
Veteran

Agnaldo S. Almeida
Digital Draftsman
So Paulo, Brazil

Study #03 - Head Features (Eyes)

Hey,

Thanks for all whove replied the last post...When I have time Ill gonna visit your threads to look at your art too.

And NR43, youre absolutely right: when learning anatomy its much more important to try understand the words of Hogarth (and all the other masters). Thats what Im searching for in all that exercises and when I heard that words from other good artists like you I feel Im in the right track.

Just to keep everyone involved with these studies (and maybe, motivated) Ill post that last one I did early today.

ps.: the quotation in the drawing said: "The beatifull of a drawing is in not to drawing it entirely." ... just my 2 minutes of morning philosofy.
agnaldo(at)fastmail.fm

Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #23
SpiritDreamer
"Close Your Eyes and See"

portfolio
GLENN GALLEGOS
Boston, USA

Hi ....Agnaldo ..

I just went through your thread...very impressive, and enjoyable ...
Your line work is very strong where needed, and very subtle and graceful also where needed...VERY STRONG DRAFTSMANSHIP..
I can only pass on to you the way that I learned...maybe it will be of some help to you on your journy..I don't know.Everyone has a different path that they have taken to get to where they are at, but in the end, all of the paths converge at the same destination..a general understanding of how to CREATE .
Anyway, ...Composition/Design is what I was taught first, and is key to making what you create BEAUTIFUL,FLOWING, and COHESIVE. It's like being the director in a film. Without a good director, ...no matter how great your actors are, your film will be lacking direction. ...Get all of the books, and information you can aquire on COMPOSITION/DESIGN,...Study the Old Masters compositions, and the way that they have composed their works..directing the viewers eye to exactly the place that they want them to go, and exactly in the desired sequence that they want the viewer to get there...In a great masterpiece, the viewer will be unaware of the directors pull on their eye and thoughts, but the directors pull will be there guiding the viewer throughout the journy..stopping here, going there ect.
Once you know the ins and outs of GOOD COMPOSITION/DESIGN, you will see it, or the lack of it, in every piece that you SEE and CREATE.

The second thing that was, and is of most importance on this journy that I was and am on, is a complete understanding of the bones, and the muscles that attach to them,..and how they funtion...I took an ANATOMICAL DRAWING CLASS that delt with that aspect of the human figure...Walked away from that class with a totall amazement for the marval that is the human body..

The third thing that was and still is a major factor on my journy, is the teachings of BURNE HOGARTH,..I was fortunate enough to have him as my teacher as I was taking the ANATOMACAL DRAWING CLASS dealing with the bones and muscles and their funtions from another great teacher...made the jounry in BURNE HOGARTHS class that much more enjoyable, and understandable..Those two classes at the same time really complemented each other, because the bones/muscles class meant less without the Burne Hogarth teachings,...and the Burne Hoarth class meant less without the bones/muscles funtion class...GREAT combination and learning experience between those two classes taken at the same time.. ...Get DYNAMIC FIGURE DRAWING by BURNE HOGARTH, and ALL OF HIS OTHER BOOKS WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO...GREAT BOOKS, AND GREAT TEACHER...GET ANY BONES MUSCLES AND THEIR FUNTIONS books that you can find, and take a class even better yet, in ANATOMICAL DRAWING, if you are able to.

The fourth thing was and is the gesture....made alot easier by the previous classes,...because I knew and understood what to look for in the figure, and what were/is the underlying elements in the figure that were and are key to the pose/gesture.

AND THEN THERE WAS COLOR THEORY CLASS... BUT I WON'T GET INTO THAT RIGHT NOW, OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT IT ALMOST MADE ME GO BLIND...LOL..

I hope that the information about my own journy is of some help to you on your journy...can't hurt anyway..

HOPE TO SEE MUCH MORE OF YOUR WORKS, AND THE GREAT PROGRESS THAT WILL COME WITH THEM WITH LOTS OF PRACTICE.
LOOKS LIKE THE PATH YOUR ON, IS A GOOD ONE SO FAR..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 08-11-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #24
Agnaldo
Veteran

Agnaldo S. Almeida
Digital Draftsman
So Paulo, Brazil

Studies - Figures, Faces and Rubens pt1.

Im glad to read such great comments about my studies. Thanks to everybody whos spending precious minutes to stay in my smallest universe. Thanks a lot.

Spirit Dreamer: Man, thanks a lot for your advices and words. Thats the kind of information/knowledge I judge valuable in your enviroment. Im very glad that you read and answer an old question of mine. Your advices (and the advices of all the people here) act as a fuel, giving me power to keep trying to draw even better and be focused in that task.

Gonna try that figure classes fast I can. But actually its kind hard to find $ and time to do this.

I dont have words (maybe in portuguese, hehe) to thanks your time. But I promisse show my gratitude in even better studies.

Talking about studies Id like to post new ones.

Look. That isnt one of my best drawings, but to post this can help others whos starting to keep motivated. I really believe that we learned from our mistakes, so... theres a lot in the following images to look at.

Seriously.Ive learned a lot the last days. The drawings are not perfect but Im actually "feeling" the anatomy and the figure when drawing. And thats a huge upgrade in my artistic brain.

That first series is my first attempt at a Live Figure Drawing (finally I got it, Rebecak).
It was harder and faster than I though, but I can sketch all the poses.

agnaldo(at)fastmail.fm

Last edited by Agnaldo : 08-12-2007 at 05:04 AM.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #25
Agnaldo
Veteran

Agnaldo S. Almeida
Digital Draftsman
So Paulo, Brazil

Studies - Figures, Faces and Rubens pt.2

The following ones are studies of figures (mainly faces) of Peter Paul Rubens. Ive discovered a huge library with tons of art books. A really nice find in these days of self-study.

Thats it. Now I need to go back to my "eyes". Im doing some mistakes when drawing that feature in all of my faces. Gonna try fix this.

See ya,
agnaldo(at)fastmail.fm

Last edited by Agnaldo : 08-12-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #26
vincent1
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Vincent Wan
Digital Artist
Shah Alam, Malaysia

Very studious portrait drawings and I think this is the right way to go.

Once you understand the structure behind the forms, very soon you will be able to do away with references and create similiar quality drawings from your own mind.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #27
SpiritDreamer
"Close Your Eyes and See"

portfolio
GLENN GALLEGOS
Boston, USA

Hi...Agnaldo ...

BEAUTIFUL STUDIES ... ......And hey...glad that I could be of some help to you....after all, that is what this forum was created for, and is all about ..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #28
Agnaldo
Veteran

Agnaldo S. Almeida
Digital Draftsman
So Paulo, Brazil

Studies - Faces

Hi,

Im ashamed. :(

Long time without posting and more time without drawing. Like Ive writed in my blog: 24 hours isnt enough for my day.

Anyway thats the last drawings I did. Theyre few but Id like to share with you:

The first ones are studies of great artist Ive copied from a book. In fact I can see a giant lack in the shading of the figures. I did it fast and noticed the problem later. But Id like trace work in the first one (the Raphaels copy).

The last is a face Ive drawing today, tottaly from mind. I watched a movie the last weekend that had a curious character. I need to develop more of his before comment about, but the big idea for his face Is to keep a russian or european look.

Thats it. Hope I get time to comment your works more this night.

See ya.
agnaldo(at)fastmail.fm

Last edited by Agnaldo : 08-21-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #29
NR43
Student for Life!

portfolio
Johan Derycke
Stedelijke Academie voor Beeldende Kunst Leuven
Meerbeek, Belgium

Send a message via MSN to NR43
It's good that you feel bad about not drawing

But we all have busy lives... there are kids to feed, bills to pay, wives to be pleased, etc.
So don't feel too bad

Sometimes it can be satisfying to draw for just 15min before going to bed, because then you might think "well, at least I did draw something".

The head from imagination looks more Russian than European to me
I think he reminds me of that agent who was killed with radio active poison in the UK a while ago... can't remember his name.

Anywayz,
keep at it!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #30
Trunks
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Thomas Korczok
Essen, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Trunks
Hi Agnaldo,
nice work on the last potraits, I think you should just keep this stuff up

Also a tipp: When you wake up, ask yourself "Have I already painted something today?" If the answer ist "no" (which will always be but don't tell others ) go and paint! This really is a good way to keep yourself at painting Maybe you can just try this for a week or so ... after you wake up sketch something for 10minutes ... just what comes up to your mind ... and later on the day you can make some potraits or other stuff

Try it out
Thomas

Thread Closed share thread