Sketchbook Thread of Sirielle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2007   #16

A test from last night. [Painter]

Old 04 April 2007   #17
Nice start Karolina,

I haven't really touched painter, so I'd like to see youre progress with the program. It's hard.

You have a very fantasy like quality to all your paintings, I dig it. More!? Please?

Old 04 April 2007   #18
ha-dou-ken, I'm glad you like it. I wanted to make a short comic but ended in one image.

Fantasy is the most frequent theme of my works, though better would be to describe it with a quote of one net group info Tolkien is my religion, The Silmarillion is my Bible, Eru is my God Of course it's not my religion, but illustrating that book is one of my dreams. For now I still struggle with proportions and other evil beasts

Painter is very good tool, hard to say what is better of the two most used programs, some things can be done faster in Photoshop, others in Painter. But I'm sure I don't use Painter properly with all the goods it has to offer, like various brushes which I guess could be used the same way as in traditional media, if I only knew what this way is. So I use various brushes but not the way they would be used on real canvas.

I see you've got a lot of good realistic drawings from sculpture of classical art references in your thread, very good job. I should try it, too, for painting fantasy creatures only will not teach me all I should know

Last edited by sirielle : 04 April 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Old 04 April 2007   #19
Comic test #2. Balrogs. Who likes them?

Putting him in the middle would be more composition wise, the silly sword is "cut" Oh, well, that was fun, good night!

Old 04 April 2007   #20
Wink

I just wated to fix his ear position

Now I can't believe I wanted to leave it in that first stage. T.b.c.

Old 04 April 2007   #21
Hey Sirielle, I like your fantasy work. Looking forward to more on this latest one.

Old 04 April 2007   #22
Hey! I should have posted it in WIP forums, but I'll continue updating here. Maybe later, we'll see. I've posted it in WIPs at other boards. Latest steps:

I'm trying to find a sword for him.I feel it's too long, boys tell me it's too short XD
I lost the cuirass shape a bit, need to find it back.

And he probably would like me to stop bothering him

Someone told me he is too feminine, I can't see it. He is not pretty on a purpose for this image, it's rather armor concept than anything else. Maybe the way he grasps hilt right now makes it, I've messed shading a bit I guess.

Old 04 April 2007   #23
Heya sirielle,

Interesting to watch your progress - some good stuff going on. The main thing I might suggest is using reference of some kind - your work looks to be mostly from imagination only, and I think it could be enhanced by checking out reference for the anatomy and clothing. Color wise in your latest piece, everything all over the image is warm and in the same general area of the color wheel, which is making it harder for you to establish a sense of depth. Hope this helps.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 04 April 2007   #24
I was browsing for armor references and looked at too many and too long I don't want realism here, but if something is off for then I should fix it.
I almost never use references, I haven't learned to use them, yet. The most referenced piece I did is the Angel and Devils workshop image.

I lost my shading color somewhere, now none of the colors works. Maybe it should be purple and green or cyan. The armor should be golden but I can add more shadow to the background - I guess it's night and balrog itself is a demon of a black fire and shadow, so his symbolical presence here can darken background a bit more.

Old 05 May 2007   #25
It started as a pencil sketch which I've changed a lot in Painter, in fact it barely looks like the first sketch. I was looking at Loomis' examples while working with pencil (and at a movie on TV), but I didn't make any help lines (again). Painter's pastels, chalk, charcoal, pencils and other brushes - I was trying to keep natural media look.
According to tips I got here and there I fixed him that much that he doesn't look like him anymore O_o Now I wonder if leaving the first flawed version wouldn't be better for him. My father suggested that he's got such strange cheek just because he's been in fight and got bruised

And the first sketch in attachment, it looks funny in comparison to the set above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sketch_5-V-2007.jpg (71.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by sirielle : 04 April 2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: invisible attachment

Old 05 May 2007   #26
Thumbs up

Look what a wonderful help I got on him from Mercuralis!

Old 05 May 2007   #27
That was a really nice thing of her to do.
very useful indeed!

Old 05 May 2007   #28
Yes, especially that I keep repeating all these mistakes and now I have
them explained But I had no time to take care of this guy, yet.

Last edited by sirielle : 12 December 2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: dead links.

Old 05 May 2007   #29

A concept for a future drawing. Or a sketch, a wip, whatever future brings

Old 05 May 2007   #30
Hi Sirielle, Interesting image of the guy in the red armour. The first looks as if his shoulder is too far forward which seems to be improved in the second version. A reference will help you get those proportions down better. It would be great to see some anatomy studies as well. Keep posting you work.

reply share thread