Before and After - Post Examples of Your Improvement!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2007
Hi Rebecca,

Let me say it again, in public:
especially you (and some of the other helpers and teachers in this forum, Hi Glenn ) will always hold a special place in my heart for showing me the way (and for sometimes rubbing my face in the dirt quotedidyouusereferenceunquote)

Hmmm, next step will be just another Ryder-istically pimped drawing, preferrably not of myself. To be honest, it's been quite a journey into myself, staring at the mirror for hours and I'd actually rather look at a naked woman for hours next time...

01 January 2007
c'mon Razz make it hurt

I did a little digging and found my first attempt at portrait painting
it's from a book called "How to Paint Skin Tones" by James Horton
from sometime in 97

And from OFDW20 Jan 07

Mark

01 January 2007
wow, FateBringer,

holy donnerknispel, now that is a breathtaking progress!

01 January 2007
Seriously impressive stuff Mark. Congrats!!!

Mu, thank you.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2007 at 11:27 PM.

01 January 2007
OMG razz - are you kiddin' me?! where's the suckey?!

FateBringer - now that's a gianormous leap forward! I salute you

Mu - great improvement too - yeah references [repeat the mantra!]

Rebbecak - Wow you have improved enormously, not that the first one sucked either

ok - me next I guess...

July 2006

total flatness... I'm actually hurting at the thought of having so disfigured the work of my fav artist

January 2007

a bit more shape and substance ...

01 January 2007
Great post Intervain!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2007
Great idea for a thread, I always find it inspiring to see how good people get with a bit of practice and application. Well, if you're looking for extreme examples of improvement, then look no further. And the last image in these three really wouldn't have been possible without the great work I've done as part of this forum, it's the first place I point people when they ask how I keep improving.

Okay, here's BEFORE, around about '99, 2000 All from the first sketchbook i bought at the age of 18.

About three years later, 2003, still no concept of the basics of anatomy or colour and light.

And then I discovered digital art and this website. And it's what I credit my huge leap in improvement with, along with the freedom to experiment that. So here's my most recent WIP and the digital rembrandt copy which was such a revelation for me.

Oh, and my sketchbook thread can be found here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...ghlight=zephyri

Last edited by Zephyri : 01 January 2007 at 02:41 AM.

01 January 2007
zephyri - excellent! I love the last painting btw [have to say I know that girl from somewhere I'm sure I've seen that face LOL...] Awesome idea!
what do you think is your main source of knowledge about colour and light? any tips?! - it's an area I'm really sucky at right now

01 January 2007
Zeph! I love your work and your improvement and humble attitude have always been so impressive. Thanks so much for posting here! I love to see your stuff.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

01 January 2007
Thank you guys, much appreciated, it still kinda surprises me when i see how far my work has come. Intervain, the girl would be yours truly, and the set of photos that I used as ref are up on deviant, so could be there you've seen it! And as for light, I'm still getting the hang of it myself to be honest, but this article made it a lot clearer for me: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm In fact I've read through a lot of the tutorials listed here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=226083 and they're all helpful in one way or another. The best thing, especially given the ability you get with digital is just to practice, and to think of light as a volumous thing, like water. A lot of the discoveries i make are simply trial and error and figuring it out myself, even after reading tutorials and theories

01 January 2007
oooh must have been deviantart then Yum - love that painting!

thank you so much for the links - really appreciate the help!

01 January 2007
I tried to post last night but the system was down.

Mr. Mu and Intervain - I never knew that y'all recently started too. Y'all have shown much progress. So much that I thought y'all were into digital art for years.

Zeph - Eversince you made the goddess that had the glass nose, I have been impressed with your work. I have followed your work both here and in deviant. I love your work with the color pencils as well, a favorite preference of mine. You latest with your self-portrait is great. Are you going to start supplying us with stock photos? You'd be a perfect model! Oh, and by the way, great foreshadowing. I love the backdrop of the ghostly figures.

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

Last edited by aggie93 : 01 January 2007 at 01:13 PM.

01 January 2007
Wow. All of these are very inspirational. So much improvement.

01 January 2007
Ok, so changed the before image again. This time into a drawing, because I have those which suck, haha. I just wanted both images to be paintings, but you needed one that sucks very hard, had to change it.

Zephyri, whoah, you've come far. Cool to see those befores and afters

Intervain, well, ahh, you know Only that before is not that big of a suckie. But then again, when I look at the after ones again...in that case the before sucks

FateBringer, yay! Big difference in those two. Well, would be bad if there wasn't any

Mu, just great!

Rebecca, I'll repeat myself, great idea! Awesome to look around here!

01 January 2007
Talking

Great thread here!..
Its so much fun to see the "before" artwork of the artists i admire

Cgsociety forum and esp. Rebecca have helped me to improve and always been a great learning resource for me

Before learning artistic anatomy
Before:

After learning form Becks and all the artists here in Artistic anatomy thread
After:

Last edited by CgIcecube : 01 January 2007 at 06:05 PM.

reply share thread