Sketchbook Thread by M31

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Sketchbook Thread by M31

I've been drawing longer than I can remember. I had private drawing lessons in highschool and then took a variety of art courses, including drawing, painting, sculpture, history, and computer at the College of Lake County. It was here that I discovered 3ds Max and I am currently learning to use that program and hope to eventually create my own animation. I must confess I havne't drawn much in a very long time as I seem to have reached a plateau and it is very frustrating to say the least.

Here is some work that I did at the college:

This is a study after Nude Man by Luca Signorelli. He used black chalk; I used charcoal.

This is a pastiche that I did after the above drawing by Luca Signorelli.

This is a study after Figure of a Male Nude by Michelangelo Buonarroti. Again, he used black chalk; I used charcoal.

I apologize that these drawings are not cut out from the scanner background. I do not currently have any descent 2D software installed on this computer. I will update as soon as I fix this. I have a lot more work that won't fit on my scanner. I will post some of that when I get my hands on a digital camera.

Leonardo da Vinci - "The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance."

09 September 2006
M31,

Welcome. It's great to see your drawings - that last one in particular is quite strikingly done.

I would recommend to you Glenn Vilppu's DVDs if you feel that you have plateaued (which is something we as artists will always face).

Also, I would invite you to participate in the recently opened Workshop:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 2 - The Torso
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...98&page=1&pp=15

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2006
Rebeccak, thank you so much for the welcome and kind words! I will look into getting one of those DVDs and I do plan on entering the workshop. Hopefully, I can produce some work in different mediums.

Leonardo da Vinci - "The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance."

10 October 2008
Sketchbook Thread by M31

It seems I've been away too long and my sketchbook thread was archived!
I just got a Wacom tablet and have been working on getting back into drawing. Here are some recent sketches:

10 October 2008
Hey there, welcome back. I've just merged your threads and reopened it (archiving happens automatically after a year).

Cheers,

-R

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2008
Thank you, Rebeccak!

Here's another drawing I did on the Wacom using Art Models 2 as a reference.

10 October 2008
hello,
nice drawings..i liked the the starting anatomy study pics u drew..

10 October 2008
Hi,

nice stuff!
Looking forward to see more!

10 October 2008
Hello,

nice thread. I know what you mean about feeling stuck in a plateau, hope you'll get past that. I like your last drawing, it feels very fluid. Keep it up.

Wonder when I'll get past my own plateau.
hehe, cya around!

10 October 2008
Hi Erin Munkacsy. nice anatomy thread n first 3 sketches are cool & nice style

10 October 2008
Nice start Erin,.... yeah time is a thief eh.
I would look into those dvds like rebek said, they will help free you up a lot.

Cheerio Chris

10 October 2008
hey erin ,
real nice works. . loved ur lines. .
waitin for more

Last edited by sanpaiya : 10 October 2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

02 February 2009
Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement!

I do struggle with being a perfectionist, but I am trying to focus on just making progress and enjoying drawing. I did a portrait of one of my characters from a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. I'm quite happy with how it turned out! It is the first time that I have successfully drawn a character from my head (not that I didn't use lots of reference!).

Right now I am having difficulty finding reference for the next drawing I'd like to do. I wish that I could draw poses from my head, but they always look unnatural when I try. I do have reference books of poses, but not enough basic stuff, like walking. I'd really like a good reference of a guy walking toward the viewer, ideally panther-like and carrying a greatsword, but anything would be helpful!

02 February 2009
Nice anatomy drawing, especially i like all sketches...

02 February 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread