Aggie93 - Painter Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #61
HEY...Aggie....

Looks like you are really starting to get the hang of this digital painting..GREAT to see such rapid progress... A piece of cake, once you get the hang of it...
I like your idea for the embrace painting....might be a good one to experiment with a few folds of cloth, being blown by the wind maybe...might add to the motion, and increase the sense of entwinement...just a thought..
Looking forward to seeing where you take this last one ...has all the elements of HIGH DRAMA..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 11 November 2006   #62
Thanks Spirit. I pretty much dreamed about this picture last night and tought to open up the front view of Cupid and swing his right arm out a little more. I know this exposes Cupid a little more but it won't look like Cupid just jumped right in to the Honeymoon. lol I like the idea of the cloth. I am going to extend Psyche's hair, she had long hair in my dream. Maybe that can be part of her cloth and I still have the wings to go. I do not draw many men espcially frontal. I am unsure of the background. Just clouds now.

I have another question I posed Rebbeca. How do you justify selling a digital original printed on canvas as an original piece instead of a copy? I have a commission piece and one I am thinking of donating for an auction and I want them to realize that even though it is printed out it is still original.

Thanks again.

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

Old 11 November 2006   #63
HEY...Aggie....THANKS...

LOL... ....HEY, is that a trick question that you just asked me.. ..ORIGINAL//ONE OF A KIND
If you painted it, then it is an original...if they don't want to settle for a print, tell them to find someone to paint what they want WITH TUBES OF PAINT, or take your word that you are not going to sell that image to anyone else, if that is a concern. If a binding contract is necesary, well that's what contracts are for.. ...of course you can always run a limited edition, destroy your file like they destroy the plates on old fashioned prints, if you chose..

I sell my work on tiles, cards, shirts, giclee on canvas ,...whatever....the more options the better chance of selling it.
Digital Art is a New technoligy, and requirers a new selling stratagy..honesty is always the best policy, and stratagy....Hope that helps to answer your question.
Check out my store on my website
http://www.cafepress.com/glenngallegos
and
http://www.art-discovery.com/artist.asp?id=11 .....these people do GREAT work....

TAKE CARE, and HAVE A GREAT DAY...Aggie...
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 11 November 2006 at 12:18 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #64
Hi Aggie, thanks for stopping by my skectchbook. You're doing great on the digital painting. Keep on going.

Old 11 November 2006   #65
Here is today's update while watching A&M lose... again. I think this pose will work. My wife wonders about my sanity, but I think it will come out right.

Spirit - You are right. I guess being up front is first and foremost about the product.

Batte - Thanks! I am keeping on with this. I have nothing to do without the OFDWs.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Old 11 November 2006   #66
Man when you do not post you in 24 hours you get thrown to the back page. Here is my update:

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Old 11 November 2006   #67
I took a break to just play with different brushes. First is water color then color fill. I wanted to mimik the cartoonish art, like the manga stuff.

I'll take any comments. Tell me what to do to get that comic book style.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Old 11 November 2006   #68
I am having the most difficult time with Cupid. I started on the wings for both to move the focus around.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Old 11 November 2006   #69
Hi...Aggie...

I think that if you put a strong shadow between the figures, it will act as a unifying element in
the composition. You might want to use a mirror to get the hands and wrist on cupid,want them to be bigger, and to show strength, will add to the sense of embrace. Use your own hands as the model for study...also wouldn't mind seeing a few more curves on the back outter edge of cupid...hips, buttock, legs ect. ..I think that if you exagerate the curves a little there, it will really add to the ryhem and flow of the piece.
Now might be a good time to change the background to a very deep , almost black purple,...will
really add depth, and a sense of atmosphere for the figures, and the wings...Cupids wings could fade into the darkness, adding to depth and adding mystery ect....The dark background will really make the female figure stand out also.
When doing a two figure composition, it is always good to have one of the figures stand out more than the other, through lighting, expression or whatever works...keeps them from competing with each other in the composistion, and creates a harmony,...Think of it as music,..you don't want two loud voices drowning each other out, you want them complementing each other, to creat harmony...Just some suggestions that might be of help to you..don't know..
Anyway, nice to see your progress on this, and also your progress in digital painting...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 11 November 2006   #70
Originally Posted by SpiritDreamer: ...mirror to get the hands and wrist on cupid,want them to be bigger, and to show strength, will add to the sense of embrace. Use your own hands as the model for study...also wouldn't mind seeing a few more curves on the back outter edge of cupid...hips, buttock, legs ect. ..I think that if you exagerate the curves a little there, it will really add to the ryhem and flow of the piece. Now might be a good time to change the background to a very deep , almost black purple,...will really add depth, and a sense of atmosphere for the figures, and the wings...Cupids wings could fade into the darkness, adding to depth and adding mystery ect....The dark background will really make the female figure stand out also. When doing a two figure composition, it is always good to have one of the figures stand out more than the other, through lighting, expression or whatever works...keeps them from competing with each other in the composistion, and creates a harmony,...

Spirit - I thought the hands looked a bit small. I was using my hand for the left hand but the right was of the model. It looks a bit awkward. The back of cupid look large right now. I would hate to add any more. Cupid looks like he needs to go on a diet. I do not think his wings can lift him and Psyche. I like you idea of fading his wings back. That was a rough 5 minute sketch of the wings last night. My background was going to be some dark stormy clouds, I like your suggestion of a purply color. I will try! Thanks for the suggestions.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Old 11 November 2006   #71
LOL..Aggie...

I had in mind with those curves on cupid, to wittle him down some, and shave a few pounds off,...that should happen atomatically, if you make the curves lye inside of the exsisting edge.
The shadow in between the figures, will also have the same effect, making his gut disapear.. The curves on the back edge,will also creat more rythum and motion ect....
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 11 November 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #72
Quote: The lady is on a seperate layer from my colorized layer. However, when I toggled the transparancy I could not get it to paint.

Hi,

I am a bit online lazy atm so my reply to this comes off a bit off topic by now, lol.

You should not toggle the transparency, just create a selection of the layer's transparency by right-clicking the layer in the layer palette and choosing the option "select layer transparency" from the right-click pop-up menu.

Then, with a selection representing where you painted on the layer you can specify if you want to paint within or outside of the selection by toggling one of the three buttons in the lower left image window corner. This will help you coloring a greyscale sketch on a new color layer because you can be sure not to paint outside of the figure of the sketch layer that way, e.g.

see?

Old 11 November 2006   #73
Added shading and color. Still need to work on the male

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Old 11 November 2006   #74
Hi...Aggie...

Looking lot's better..
If you want to, take a look at page #1 and 2 of my skechbook // anatomy thread...will show you what that dark purple background color that I mentioned earlier looks like, and what effect it can have in your painting..you can drag or blend some of that background color into your figures, here and there...really creats a nice atmosphereic effect...
Also, you might consider extending the wing on left side of painting, so that it creates a nice sweeping ach, that aims towards the womans lower leg, maybe even overlapping it...will add more depth, motion, and rythum to the composition, and also make cupid seem like he can really lift the two of them, with no problem...just a thought..
Keep going Aggie...it's starting to shape up nicely...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 11 November 2006 at 03:47 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #75
Nice little tutorial Spirit with your first post.

My new anatomy thread

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Thread Closed share thread