Sketchbook Thread of Frejasphere

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2006   #61
It's interesting to see everyone start their ideas on awakening the giant.

I am still trying to decide what to do for that.

Some really nice hand studies, Annette.

Cris

Old 09 September 2006   #62
Hi all

Mark - thanks for popping by and for your comments, much appreciated and yes thanks we're all better now, so hoping to get quite a bit of painting/drawing done this week

Razz - thanks for comments and for popping in I enjoyed doing those quick daVinci sketches, and you are spot on it would be heaps fun to do some longer ones... sometimes all it takes is a little push.. so thanks

Chris - nice to see you back again, and thanks for your comments

Thinking my giantess will be a detailed drawing in the end... as I'm working in colour so much at the moment it would be interesting to go for the pencil drawing, and maybe some ink pen... still idea-mangling obvoiusly posting soon

take care and cheers
a.

Old 09 September 2006   #63
The Earthmother giantess is taking form...

been working on the drawing today, after a number of sketches (some which, were subjected to the wind flapping about the backyard, aiming to collect paper, bits of charcoal and patience .. it got to the stage where it was cyclone feeling not only in idea and paper mode... ), I'm now working on a thick printing style paper A2 size and just building up the drawing as I go, initially using charcoal and graphite.

Cheers all and more updates soon
take care
a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10 October 2006 at 10:35 AM.

Old 09 September 2006   #64
Hi all...

A bit of an update on the Underworld Giantess.. have posted most of the updates in the OFDW but thought I'd post something here too, she's almost done, atleast I've stared myself silly on some of the details and managed to blacken half my face in the process Quite a large drawing (55x75cm) so tends to rub off a bit

cheers and take care
a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10 October 2006 at 10:38 AM.

Old 09 September 2006   #65
Wow. Your Underworld Giantess is intense, a truly captivating image! Great emotion. I really dig the turbulent quality you've managed to create here.

BTW, your "Mother Earth Will Carry Me Back to the Sea" painting is absolutely gorgeous.

||||||||||||
Sketchbook

Old 09 September 2006   #66
Hey Annette!

About time to take a look here again and I see it's always worth the visit...I'm again impressed to see how familiar you are with all the different styles and medias. And I agree with the others here, your Giantesse is a real eyecatcher, great expression ! Looking forward now for the finished picture!

Have a nice day!

-sabrina

Old 09 September 2006   #67
Hi all

This is the finished Earthmother Giantess of the Sea... I enjoyed this one, feel I have to stop some time or it just ends up being fiddling...

Concept: The Earthmother Giantess of the Sea awakens in despair at what humankind has done to nature... reaching out of the ocean she morphes into a cyklone rising up and spiralling with force, although that force in itself is destructive, it's not governed by her anger - it's a chain-reaction to what we, as humans have brought on by neglecting earth and forcing the giantess to awaken...

Drawing (traditional) charcoal and graphite done on thick paper - size 55x75cm

Three versions.. the top one being the original, the blue ones I just altered the values a little in the photo... for fun mainly and because of the ocean - moonlight thing

cheers all and take care
a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10 October 2006 at 10:41 AM.

Old 09 September 2006   #68
Wow. Wonderful work; I like the meaning behind it as well.

||||||||||||
Sketchbook

Old 09 September 2006   #69
Thank you Mychael I really appreciate your comments It's humbling and warming to get positive feed-back after working intensely on a piece for over a week. I always walk away feeling I could have done it differently or better or something, but sometimes you just need to stop, walk away and look with fresh eyes a while later, before starting on the next one

Thanks Sabrina for popping back nice warming comments from you too think I'll have to go cool my ego with a cold drink or something

cheers all and take care... now looking forward to the torso challenge and to finish off some work that has been pushed to the side for a bit

a.

Old 09 September 2006   #70
The Earthmother Giantess looks really good! I especially like the face and the neck. Also the expression on her face is awesome.
It would be nice to see this in real size, I guess looking at it on a computer monitor isn't the same

My Sketchbook

Come to say hello, please.

Old 09 September 2006   #71
Hey Annette!

Great to see your Giantesse finished, I really like the result and can well follow the explanation of the thoughts behind it. The original is impressive and I agree with Juho: I'd also like to see it in real ...And for me the second blue version is especially good, with this feeling of cold moonlight all over it...

Great work , congrats!

-sabrina

Old 09 September 2006   #72
Originally Posted by Frejasphere: Thank you Mychael I really appreciate your comments It's humbling and warming to get positive feed-back after working intensely on a piece for over a week. I always walk away feeling I could have done it differently or better or something, but sometimes you just need to stop, walk away and look with fresh eyes a while later, before starting on the next one

I know how you feel. I think it's about being sensitive to the work itself. Sometimes I get the feeling that my paintings/drawings are saying to me 'would you just leave me the hell alone so I can get some sleep already!!??' -That's when I know it's time to quit. It's when you're not receptive to the nuance of the work that you get into trouble...... I don't think you've run into that problem here at all. This piece has a very 'classical' feel to it that's quite nice, and it seems very natural in its execution. Sure, you could've done it differently, but better? mmmmm. I guess you're the only one who can answer that question.......looks great from where I'm sitting!

||||||||||||
Sketchbook

Old 09 September 2006   #73
hi

awesome job on the earthmother giant. very expressive
cann't decide on which i like the better original or last blue one.
great work

Mark

Old 09 September 2006   #74
Ahhhhh THANK YOU guys (and girl )

Sabrina and Jho: Thanks for popping in and for kind words I'll have to invite you around won't I putting things up on the screen does alter it a bit - the journey from the easel to the computer and what happens on the way - It was interesting though to alter the values a little, perhaps starting like that - just tweaking a drawing in Photoshop or similar, can be my VERY humble and tentative look-in to digital? I prefer the second blue one to the first - more moon-lightish... Might try to play around a bit more and see what happens

Mychael: Thanks for your comments kind words and very insightful Am enjoying the great work you are posting on your thread and great to have you popping in - thanks!

Mark: Ohh Thanks so much! and I love that rollling smiley! It's like a box of chocolates!!! (puts a smile on my face!) Thanks for popping back!

Cheers all and take care!
a.

Old 09 September 2006   #75
Hey Annette,

great piece you've created here for the OFDW.
Love the facial expression... yes your hard work pays off
55x75 seems like a nice size to work on...

c ya soon

Thread Closed share thread