CGTalk > General Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Sketchbook Thread of Frejasphere

Hi

Welcome to my sketchbook

My plan is to post a variety of paintings and drawings here - and partake in workshops as often as I can. I welcome visitors and comments Traditional mediums (paper, canvas, clay & some photography) are what make up my art background. As yet, I haven't ventured into the digital world of art, maybe one day I hope that despite my non-cg background, it's ok for me to hang around here...

The 50 heads workshop:
First are a few of the heads I did (9 to a page) photographed from sketchbook... I ended up with 54 of these, just working roughly with the heads getting a feel for them, and enjoying the pace.. getting hooked

cheers a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 03-20-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

and a few more of the "thumbnail" style heads

Mainly used pencil graphite, charcoal, pen and pastel on these...

cheers all a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

While I'm at it... just thought I'd post a few of the larger ones I've done as well

The 50 heads have been great.. will most likely just keep going

Head #39 Pencil on paper

Head#55 Pencil on paper

Head#65 Pencil on paper

Head #54 Ballpoint pen on paper

Head #3 a quick pen sketch on paper

cheers a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Here are a few more these mainly done using charcoal, conté and pastels

Head #64

Head #28

Head #82

Another one of #82 pen and ink..

Head #35

Cheers a. long day and time to hit the sack

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Smile

Frejasphere,

Welcome aboard! You are most welcome to post your Traditional work here. Traditional work is really the foundation to all different types of work, and it's great to see more of it around. I encourage you to look at other peoples' Anatomy Threads as there is some great work happening (as you know from the 50 Portraits Thread)!

It would help if you wouldn't mind telling us something about your art training and background. It's great to see you completed the 50 Portraits, and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Thanks for the welcome Rebeccak

A little bit about my training... I studied Fine Arts with focus on painting and drawing with photography and screen-printing as secondary subjects for 3 years in Sweden.. then I went on to study Ceramics for 2 years at the Industrial School for ceramics and design (also in Sweden), this led to going back home to Australia and completing a 3 year diploma in Fine Arts (ceramics) at The National Art School in Sydney...

I have always drawn and painted, for as long as I can remember, and the years spent working with clay (both as a teacher since 1998 and as a vocational ceramicist for 10 years) have been both bread and butter and an interesting journey that I still draw from. Have over the last 3-4 years been returning more and more to the canvas and the paper... Illustrating and commissioned work being part of what I do

I find that as an artist work and mediums to work with keep changing as you change... I enjoy the journey and it's great to jump into a place like this and see that there are obviously a lot of great people who enjoy it too

cheers a.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Jho
Frequenter

portfolio
Juho Ruuttunen
Animator
Games
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Jho
Thats ALOT of heads!
Looking good thought. I epecially like your inked pics. I hope you'll post full body pictures or environments too. I'll be checking back again for sure.
Sorry, I'm bad at giving feedback or critisism. All I can say is that I like your lines, and can't think of anything to complain about

My Sketchbook

Come to say hello, please.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Thanks Jho

Nice to have a visitor so soon after posting thread, and thanks for kind words... I have just been to check out your sketch book but thought I'd comment there instead of here...

will be posting more of own work here soon

cheers a.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Frejasphere,

Thank you for telling us about your background, I always find that really interesting! It's very cool that you do ceramics, growing up I had a wonderful family friend who is an amazing potter living here in the US, and her work and creativity always inspired me (and still does). You are welcome to post examples of your ceramics work here, just so that we get a better idea of the work that you do ~ would love to see some of it.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #10
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

back again....

Thanks for your comments Rebeccak, nice to have inspirational family friends Have posted an image of a ceramics piece.. some of the work I did was sculptural, but maily wheel-thrown pieces... and like I mentioned before my direction has changed over the last few years, so more 2D.. yet there are always areas to draw from and incorporate, mixing mediums

Fiery Redheads - wheel-thrown and painted stoneware bowl

and some more heads...

this is #48 a quick pencil drawing on paper... done while doing other things...

and no#59 pastel drawing on paper

no#38 pen on sketch paper

few more to go
cheers and happy drawing,painting and enjoying
a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
daWinky
..afraid of monsters

portfolio
Sabrina Bott
Erkelenz, Germany

Hey Annette,

great head studies here , it's clearly to see that you have a lot of experience...I really enjoy the style of #28 and #82 ...
Nice to discover your colorful ceramics too!
Looking forward to see more soon.

Cheers,

-sabrina

Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 AM   #12
FateBringer
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Mark Larlham
Larlham Contracting Inc.
Dover, USA

Send a message via MSN to FateBringer
Hi Frejashere,

WOW, it is really impressive to see all the heads together like that. Great work.
love that bowl, wild. A long time ago when I was about 4 or 5 my mom had a plate made up with a picture I drew on LOL . cough ,cough lets just say i have come along way.

#59 the eyes in both ours works are very close to being the same. I know they should be but never noticed so very much with others. Now I have to go back and compare the two again.

Mark

Old 07-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #13
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
OPB Frejasphere: Thanks for your comments Rebeccak, nice to have inspirational family friends Have posted an image of a ceramics piece.. some of the work I did was sculptural, but maily wheel-thrown pieces... and like I mentioned before my direction has changed over the last few years, so more 2D.. yet there are always areas to draw from and incorporate, mixing mediums

Frejasphere, it's great to see the variety of your work, the ceramics look like pure unadulterated fun, and I would love to try my hand at something like that someday ~ probably highly involving physically in that everything you do is with your hands instead of the artificial intelligence of our wacoms ~ also liking these updates, amongst the last, #48 stands out to me as a direction in which to go.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 AM   #14
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Hey again

DaWinky - thanks for kind words it's always a bit daunting to post own work, but this forum is so positive and supportive... browsing trhough and looking at crits and comments - I haven't come across a single bad post... that's pretty awesome I think

Rebeccak - thanks for popping back and for comments. I think that crossovers between different mediums is healthy and invigorating.. yes throwing pots on the wheel is quite physical, which can offer a sense of "achievement" in itself; it can also be really relaxing (once you've wedged up all the clay and sit at the wheel dreaming away whilst forming the clay) it's one of those mediums where you have to wait through all the stages until after the firing, before you truly know the result - then again photography and even digital imaging/animation, would have elements of that too although on a different level... I won't go on a philosophical blurb... and thank for comment on #48...

Mark - really cool that you noticed the eyes too it was the first thing I saw when scrolling down your thread. and thanks for comments

cheers all will be back to post more in a bit
a.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #15
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Hi all

Missed the deadline for these last ones...(call it time difference... ) but thought I'd post them here anyway, and I think
there are a couple more heads that I won't be able to keep my fingers off on a roll

Can't wait for next project though... it's been super, so BIG thanks!

Doing a fair few from life... and thought now that 50 heads is done.. might post some different
work in a bit...

This one: # 27 Pen on paper

#56 pen on sketch paper

#61 ballpoint pen on paper

#53 Pencil and graphite on paper

Cheers all a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Thread Closed share thread