Sketchbook Thread Of Ha-dou-ken - 2D/3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #46
I'm going to post some speed painting exercises. I have never tried so...yeah. 15 minutes each is my goal. Here's the first one.

Last edited by ha-dou-ken : 02 February 2007 at 12:02 PM.

Old 10 October 2006   #47
I love the hands portrait. She has a short hand like me.

Babies hands can actually be thin when they are born. Just depends on the baby.

You have some great work in the thread and it's really nice to see the progression from start to here.

Look forward to more.

Cris

Old 10 October 2006   #48
Thank you so much Cris! I appreciate the view. I have learned so much in the last few months abour art...to think, all of this could have been naught. What a scary thought. I do admit that I have improved. I can at least say that! "Good" is another story altogether.

Here is another quickie. I'm useless when it comes to speed painting. But, I will get better, just need a little time. This was over the 15 min limit too, half an hour! I promised myself I would post it anyways, at least as a reminder to track my progress.

Last edited by ha-dou-ken : 10 October 2006 at 07:17 AM.

Old 10 October 2006   #49
I'll get it eventually!

Old 10 October 2006   #50
Hey your speedpaints are really good!

really like the last one.
soon you'll find yourself having captured the essence after just 10min and you will be wondering what to do with the remaining 5, because you didn't expect it

we want more!

Old 10 October 2006   #51
Heh, thanks Johan. The encouragement is invaluable, really. I will post some more today. I need a nap now though, then off to work. Whew! Insomnia is a tough day job.

Old 10 October 2006   #52
Hi...Isaias...

Like the way you handled the babies hand...came out GREAT....Really like that one...
Like your speed paints also...Great way to develope an expressionistic style...imagine if you loaded that big brush up with some colors that really express emotion..red ...anger//violent
blues//calm ect....colors can spark emotions in the viewer..which is an art in itself.
You might want to take a look at some of the great works of the expressionist painters, ..will
have a big influence on your speed painting I think...just a thought..
Keep up the progress...GREAT SEEING IT..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 10 October 2006   #53
Glenn, you always have the prefect advice. It's always when I'm ABOUT to feel comfortable with my painting. As far as I know, one of the worst things and artist can do is become comfortable and complacent in their style. Thinking about it now, I can see how that composer guy would be so nice in splashes of yellow and blue...Like a sunburst of music...You have really sparked my brain. Thank you so much!

I fixed the hand, yeah, thank you. I still think his middle fingernail is a bit too long, but eeh. I've realized it, and that's the most important thing I think.

I said I was going to sleep a couple of hours before work, but I'm so inspired (and hopped on coffee) that I want to go to the park now and paint until I go to work. If need be I can always take a nice nap under a tree on a hill. AAAhhhh. More soon...work's going to suck.

Old 10 October 2006   #54
need...sleep...ugh.

Old 10 October 2006   #55
Hi....Isaias...
LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD SOME FUN..
Now that you have the initial energy in your paintings, you might consider refining , adding to the escenual, and subtracting the non escenual..with the use of light and shade ect.
You might even change brushes, to add variety to your strokes, change mediums ect.
You never know what kind of nice effects you might stumble upon, when you just cut loose, and start to experiment, while at the same time having fun.. ..ALWAYS KEEPING GOOD DRAFSMANSHIP IN MIND OF COURSE..
The key, is keeping that initial energy in the painting, and refining it, without loseing the underlying energy of the painting in the painting process..
Nice start to some very expressive work....
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 10 October 2006   #56
Thanks Glenn, again. I start nice, then get really sloppy because I get nervous haha. I look at the clock and think "Holy crap! 12 minutes already!" Then all hell breaks loose and I end up "tripping" through the painting.

I don't know if I'm going about this the right way. Do you think I should continue to force myself to stop after 15 mins? Or does it really matter, in terms of learning I mean....I don't know. I'm just doing what I think might help me improve my understanding of composition and form and gesture. Maybe I'm completely wrong though...

Thaks for the advice. You are like a never-ending fortune cookie...but with actually USEFUL advice!Thanks as always.

Last edited by ha-dou-ken : 10 October 2006 at 08:07 PM.

Old 10 October 2006   #57
Hi...Isaias..

I never wore, or even owned a watch in my intire life...pressure does not belong in painting.
Time is a man made illussion, just as painting is...be the master of both.
When I paint, time evaporates, and is meaningless.
The key, is to know when to bring forth the energy in your painting, and when to let it subside
in the painting..PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT....NO EASY WAY AROUND IT...
KEEP GOING, YOUR ON THE RIGHT PATH...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 10 October 2006   #58
That's some damn fine advice Glenn. I think I'm going to toss my clock out the window, just have fun and get lost in time instead of worrying so much about it. It's just that I heard from somewhere that to improve, it's better to draw 50 quick sketches than to draw one really long one. Now, I don't know if the same holds true for painting or not though...

Old 10 October 2006   #59
Quote:

It's just that I heard from somewhere that to improve, it's better to draw 50 quick sketches than to draw one really long one. Now, I don't know if the same holds true for painting or not though...

why not make a couple of quickies (it's not really important how quickly exactly... 5min, 10min, 20min max maybe), pick out the one you like best and try to develop that one to a further stadium?
Combining fast sketches with a longer study every now and then works best for me personally.
The fast ones make us focus on the simple forms "the essence" of which Glenn is talking about above. Once you have that, it's just a matter of adding detail. What you want to avoid is spending hours on a drawing or painting only to notice that some of the basic forms or lines are not the way you wanted them...

All rightie,
hope to see more work from you soon

Edit, just remembered TUTORIALS - Digital Painting Video Sketchbook - by Bobby Chiu where he explains about his daily exercises. I think they would really help you making up your mind on how exactly you want to plan your learning journey.

Last edited by NR43 : 10 October 2006 at 10:32 AM.

Old 10 October 2006   #60
Thanks Johan. I watch Bobby religously, I forgot about his topics though
I don't know where my head was at, eeh.

I want to define the essence of a subject. That's what I'm looking for niw, so that I can apply it to everything I see. There's a great book called "The Zen of Seeing" I bought recently and I havee yet to read it through. I think that will help me gain perspective.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some more developed work up soon.

Last edited by ha-dou-ken : 10 October 2006 at 12:23 PM.

Thread Closed share thread