Sketchbook Thread of Johan Derycke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #16
Oh thank you BNN and Thomasphoenix for the support! I'll try that from the shoulder
I will draw all day now

here's the 2nd part of the skull study I did yesterday afternoon while sitting outside in the garden

[image deleted to save bandwidth - apologies]

as I tend to draw without eraser for this kind of thing you can see I have making a lot of corrections while drawing, but that'll get better soon

On the other hand, when I was looking at the skull back view ref I thought that would be the easiest one of all and yet I drew it wrong. I guess too much confidence isn't that good either. Oh well, lesson learned I'll redraw these in a month or so if I get to it and see if I got any better (eg faster and proportionally)

I'm using "Anatomy - A complete guide for Artists" by Joseph Sheppard for these skull studies btw.

Last edited by NR43 : 03 March 2007 at 01:37 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #17
More heads

Ok I transferred my images to another url as my webhost is offline too often...

@ Rebeccak & Bourbaki
you're idea/suggestion to simplify was excellent so I'm gonna try to do all heads now but spending maximum 10 minutes per head. I note the time spent next to each sketch as a reminder to get more done in the same time.
@ BNN
after reading your thread I decided to switch to ballpen. I have to get used to this different tool but in a couple of days things will go better, so please don't mind the poor shading
@ Thomasphoenix
wow thanks that was a golden tip about drawing more from te shoulder. I still tend to fall into my good old scribbling mode a lot but I'm gonna focus on that. It has sure given me more confidence already.
Thanks @ all! I feel like my 5y old daughter when she gets an icecream...

here's the result of this morning (in chronological order):

(totally screwed up on nr3 though)

spent a little longer on the big one here. since I thought the mouth was totally wrong I tried it again but without success.

conclusion: Need more practice.
More coming soon!

Last edited by NR43 : 03 March 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #18
NR43,

Lovely skull drawings! You're welcome for the suggestions. I think simplification is the best way to approach these heads, it sounds like you have a good plan.

Quote: Originally posted by NR43: I really wish my lines weren't so shaky and scribbled. I'm watching the work on the heads workshop thread and I see all these nice and fluid lines so I try this to but the more I try... argh. Now i can't even make a straight line lol. I hope no one will tell me that this is where the talent comes in.

I frankly think all good artists are 10% talent and 90% hard work. People with modest talent who work hard can achieve as much or more than someone talented but who doesn't work to improve their craft. It's all about how hard you're willing to work.

One thing that I think you might find helpful is to think of these digital pieces as drawings instead of paintings, and to use a slightly textured brush, such as the standard Natural Media brushes which you can append to your brushes palette ~ there is a nice round charcoal brush that I like to use there when drawing digitally. Michael / default-rol did some lovely digital drawings in my CGWorkshop, and his work can be seen here:

http://default-rol.cgsociety.org/gallery/337371/

Also, I have the images up for a ballpoint pen / cross hatching Tutorial which I hope is useful here:

TUTORIAL - General Principles of Anatomical and Figurative Art / Cross Hatching
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=374939

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 07 July 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #19
Hehe as Edison said genius is 1% inspiration and 99% transpiration

Old 07 July 2006   #20
Heh heh!

I can see the progress of the ball point pen drawings!

I believe sooner or later you will get more used to it and start using it to your advantage!

Yup and also you can work on your line weight! I'm also trying to improve on mine too!

You're doing great ok! =D

Anatomy Thread of BNN

Old 07 July 2006   #21
Rebeccak,

I was wondering, did you use a special pen for that head in your crosshatching tut? your lines seem very thin for a ballpen. mine are rather greasy and thick, maybe i should try some different pens huh (and different brushes in Painter).
Thanks for the links btw, excellent stuff!
---
Ok, I got good news and bad news:

the good news is that from what I've seen and read the last days and weeks, I've come to be very determined to learn how to draw properly, because it will be a good basis to do other stuff eventually (painting, 3D, etc). I've been fooling around without getting serious long enough; hence the poor portfolio. The other good news is that I have plenty of time, even though I'm a busy man, sharing my spare time with my family, doing sports (mens sana in corpore sano) and being creative (drawing, painting, modeling, etc) and not to forget going to work every day. I'm 33y old so if I'm lucky I can still learn 40 years or more

the bad news is actually good news as well (in a way):

I was trying to do some sketches on different poses for heads without references. I have serious problems as soon as the head is to be drawn with an angle. So much work to do still. I'll be taking my sketchbook to work from now on so I can practice in my lunchbreak.

No worries I will get where I want but I might bug you guys for the next couple of years though
---
These below are just posted so I can see where I started when I look at them at a later stage so I don't mind if you giggle a bit but don't laugh out loud

Last edited by NR43 : 03 March 2007 at 01:39 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #22
Quote: Originally posted by NR43: No worries I will get where I want but I might bug you guys for the next couple of years though

ROFL I actually lol'd at that one, no problem, I think it will actually be quite cool to see if there are seriously long term participants here, we already have several who have been active for a full year, hopefully they'll be with us for longer.

Regarding doing studies in different angles, etc., I highly recommend purchasing Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy and other books in his series, he also has a book on heads, hands, figure drawing, etc. Also take a look at Loomis if you can, someone who has done some amazing Loomis studies is Lyneran, you should check out her thread:

Anatomy Thread of Lyneran

But Hogarth's books are freely available through Amazon.com or anywhere, whereas these days you have to track down Loomis. I personally studied under and from Hogarth, so am more familiar with his work, and he does a lot to break down form in simple terms, though I don't recommend drawing in his style.

The main key to doing imaginative studies is to study from life, master works, and photos, and to just practice drawing. I think copying from Hogarth's work is really helpful in that regard.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2006   #23
yeah I was reading in some of these wonderfull threads here at cgtalk and Hogarth will be the next book(s) I'll buy (if they're not too expensive) but I'm still waiting for 2 loomis books to arrive. I'll do those first.

I tried this charcoal brush in painter but it's something to get used to still. Here's another 10min head but I'm totally unsatisfied with it so I'll do this head again tomorrow.

Oh and I was already subscribed to Lyneran's thread. It's seeing her drawings that made me buy the loomis books right away

Thanks again for the support it really boosts my motivation.
Now I gotta get to bed asap coz I've to get up in 5.5hrs again argh

Last edited by NR43 : 03 March 2007 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #24
NR43,

You're welcome! Heh, you just need to take this last one further.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2006   #25
So Thrilled

Oh yes I'm so happy. I made it to 1 of 25 limited spots on drawing classes at the art academy in Leuven. I'll be doing the 4 year course for starters
Can't wait for september to arrive now

I feel a bit bad for not having drawn anything the last 2 days but I'm having a rough time at work having to learn a new, difficult job in 2 weeks time (replacing a colleague who resigned) so I'm really exhausted by the time I come home.

However, I made one just now to make me feel better:

It worked... I feel alive now, very alive

Last edited by NR43 : 10 October 2007 at 04:37 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #26
Talking

Quote: Originally posted by NR43: Oh yes I'm so happy. I made it to 1 of 25 limited spots on drawing classes at the art academy in Leuven. I'll be doing the 4 year course for starters
Can't wait for september to arrive now

That's fantastic! Congratulations! Sounds great, I really hope you'll continue to show your work here once you start school.

Lovely to see your step by steps. Hope you will develop this further!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2006   #27
Hehe Thanks, I really can't wait, even if it was only because then I will have 3 nights a week where I can draw without being interrupted.

Btw, thanks for that charcoal brush tip Rebeccak. I really like the results I'm getting with these brushes.

Here's head 54 (12/50 for me)

Last edited by NR43 : 10 October 2007 at 08:51 AM.

Old 07 July 2006   #28
more heads

Jee I donnow pff.
i tried head nr 57 first but I couldn't get anything right on paper so after an hour fooling around I started on head nr 75. I'm totally unhappy with it. Especially after the good result with head 54, this is quite disappointing, but I'm not gonna keep these to myself.

shading with pens is still a big issue for me I think.
oh well, on to the next (unless the Football final will be good)

now what's it gonna be? Italy or France? i got icecream in the freezer

Last edited by NR43 : 03 March 2007 at 01:43 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #29
NR43,

ROFL about the football ~ see, even I call soccer 'football' now, such is the corruptive power of my European friends.

Regarding use of pen ~ it's not the easiest medium, and if you feel more comfortable using pencil, it'll probably yield better results. You might try using a significantly lighter touch, I usually feel out the line several times before committing, using very light strokes. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2006   #30
Head 16

Working on the pen pressure...
not quite there yet but there is improvement

I must mention the scanner has ruined some of the nuances.

when i look at this one in small, it actually has a good feeling to it.

If i haven't miscounted, that's 15/50 for me, 500 to go lol

Last edited by NR43 : 03 March 2007 at 01:44 PM.

Thread Closed share thread