Sketchbook Thread of Afgal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Sketchbook Thread of Afgal

Since 99 percent of what I am currently drawing is anatomy practice, I thought it would be nice to post here. I am newbie to drawing and have a long way to go. Any feedback, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am currently in the stage of sometimes my stuff looks good and other times it has a really long way to go.

November -
February -
March -

February

05 May 2006
Smile

afgal,

Welcome aboard!

Nice to see your Anatomy Thread up, and it looks as though you are about to delve into some serious study. Good to see.

Do you mind starting off by telling us something about your background and training?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

05 May 2006
1 Minute

2 Minute

5 Minute

10 Minute

15 Minute

05 May 2006

April

1 Minute

2 and 5 Minutes

10 Minute

15 Minute

05 May 2006
April con't

05 May 2006
Here is the last of this post. This will give you an idea of where I am right now. The last image I drew last night. My background is that I'm in a graphic design program but the drawing clases aren't helping a beginner like myself out so I researched books and am trying to learn through those methods. Other than that I started drawing in September would love to someday go to Watts Atelier in California. My biggest problems right now are squashing people and how to render form and color theory. Other than those things I think I am improving in some way or another every time I draw.

Last edited by afgal : 05 May 2006 at 08:32 PM.

05 May 2006
Smile

afgal,

Great to hear about your background.

One thing you ought to do as a CGTalk member is to activate the Private Messaging system, which enables you to send / receive messages to and from other CGTalk members.

To do so, go to the top of the page, click User CP > at the left click Edit Options > scroll down the page, and check 'Enable Private Messaging' and 'Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages'. If you wish, also check 'Receive Email from Other Members'. All of these things allow you to better communicate with members of the community.

Someone's thread which you should definitely check out is Lyneran's:

Anatomy Thread of Lyneran

She is also learning using books primarily, and is using Andrew Loomis' books.

Do you work digitally at all? I am by no means saying that you should, but am curious to know if you have ever painted with a tablet and either Photoshop or Painter.

Take a look at Lyneran's thread when you get a chance, and let me know what you think!

One thing that I really recommend to any student of drawing is to do Master Copies.

A great cheap book series of Master Drawings is:

Master Draughtsman Series of Paperback Books:
Great books because they are cheap, light, and great for copying from, as you will not be concerned about destroying the book ~ they are really instructional devices, more than anything else.

I recommend buying a few of these and doing several master copies in the media of your choice from these books. Doing many copies over the course of time will increase your understanding of Anatomy greatly.

EDIT:

You might also want to check out the free online book by Harold Speed, linked here in this post.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 05 May 2006 at 08:41 PM.

05 May 2006
Thanks Rebeccak I have now enabled the private messaging and email. I have photoshop but I don't have a tablet. I really want to get one though just don't know where to begin.

I was just going to purchase Mr. Speed's book! Thanks for the link to the free one. I would say my medium choice is soft pastels and conte crayon simply because thats what we use for class. I will definitely be branching out on that though.

Thank you for the links to the books and Lyneran's thread I will check those out. Right now I have Nicolaides book and a bunch of Bridgman's books. Also picked up David Rubins book from the library and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Thanks again,
Kerry

05 May 2006
Smile

Kerry,

If you can afford a small tablet, I would recommend getting one. There are lots of threads regarding which kind of tablet to buy, I would just run a search on the main forums. I have the smallest size Wacom, which is 6X8 I believe. It cost around $100 a few years ago. It's invaluable for digital painting.

Regarding beginning in digital painting, that's what these forums are for.

Lots of new people have started digital painting here, though by no means is the thread limited to digital work:

Beginners' Lounge

You can see the best of the Beginners' Lounge here:

SPOTLIGHT: Best of Beginner's Lounge - Year 1

This will give you some idea of the kind of work that people have done and continue to do in that thread. You are more than welcome to post your work to both (or any) threads.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

05 May 2006
Quick Gestures. about 30 seconds from photos

Life Drawing w/ clothed students as models. Unfortunately I was the model for a bunch of them so I didn't get to draw that much. And it took awhile for the rust to come off.

05 May 2006
Smile

afgal,

Do you know about this Workshop?

BEGINNERS' Drawing Workshop - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

It's an ongoing Workshop here on the Anatomy Forum from which I think you might really benefit. It requires that you buy the book, which is a classic text by Betty Edwards. The book provides some great exercises which really get you to think about how and why you draw.

Definitely check it out, and let me know what you think!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

05 May 2006
We actually had a model show up today and I think that made all the diffference in the world.

Last edited by afgal : 05 May 2006 at 10:19 PM.

05 May 2006
Smile

afgal,

It's really useful to do Master Copies, particularly when models aren't good or reliable.

Here is a Sticky Thread I just posted to the top of this forum which contains useful links regarding Master Copies:

Master Copy Resources

Definitely check it out! I think doing Master Copies is an essential part of learning how to draw / paint the figure.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread