Sketchbook Thread of Fusioniz

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #16
ok uh another attempt. took this picture from http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...45&postcount=85
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (10.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Fusioniz : 03 March 2006 at 02:15 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #17
here's another sketch....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0002.jpg (13.7 KB, 15 views)

Old 03 March 2006   #18
Good start, you're doing studies. Keep at it, but you need to watch those proportions. Remember to lay down the gestures/construction first, before hitting up the rendering. Remember, fixing the proportions of a 5-minute construction is a heck of a lot easier (and much less painful) than realizing two hours into a rendering.

And like erilaz said, quit saying you suck. You keep that up, you'll end up believing yourself. Just as importantly, if you start saying that during your interview, your interviewers aren't going to try to convince themselves otherwise. Remember that long speech I gave you about confidence? Keep it well in mind.

Old 03 March 2006   #19
Talking

Fusioniz,

Hi there, welcome to the Anatomy Forum. LoTekk was telling me about your work, and I understand that you have a short space of time in which to prepare a portfolio.

I think you probably know by now it's nearly impossible to put together a college~entrant quality portfolio in just 7 days. What are your options should you not get accepted this time around? I think you should try to think realistically about next steps ~ not getting overly stressed, but just trying to think through what will happen if you don't get accepted into art school right away.

What is your art training and background? I can see that you have potential, but have a lot of work to do, and you are more than free to use the Anatomy Forum as a training ground. As Elsie mentioned, you should also try to draw people, as well as have color pieces in your portfolio. Do you work with color media at all?

I don't know how the school system works in Singapore, but here we have small, less expensive community colleges where a lot of people go before going to a university, in order to hone their skills. Is there any such thing in Singapore, or can you simply take a few art classes?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Also, I should say that no one is a 'nobody'. We all start with a certain amount of skill, and then hopefully we're all on an upward journey from there. Think of it as a challenge where you have to improve. As my grandfather would say, there's no where to go but up.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03 March 2006 at 03:44 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #20
yeah about selling myself or something like that right?i'll keep it in mind thank you.strangely i have a bad habit of straying into rendering after drawing awhile lol.....

Old 03 March 2006   #21
hi rebecca im honoured by your presence and i thank you lotekk for helping me. i take art elective when i'm studying in my secondary school and regarding working with colour media, i stopped using colour pencils, postal colours after i left my secondary school.
secondly, if i dont get into this college, i must wait to retake my exams as i didnt do well for my maths....so, in other words, this college is my alternative. otherwise i will have to enroll in the army service before i continue pursuing my studies.

Old 03 March 2006   #22
Fusioniz,

I honestly think that you have to just start preparing what you have now. It's going to take you some time to prepare and label your work, right? Also, how close are you to the school? If you can hand deliver your work, then you may have a bit more time, but don't miss the deadline. If you live far from them, then you will have to mail your work, and that will take time ~ plus, things in the mail can get lost, so if you can document your work by scanning at full resolution (300 dpi) and save your work to disk or hard drive so you have a backup of it if you are submitting your original work. The worst would be to lose your existing work and then have to start from scratch.

If you do not get in and have to perform army service, how do you feel about that? For how long must you perform service, and can you get out at some point to pursue your schooling? I know LoTekk has experience here which he has likely talked to you about.

I think you have to do the best you can and start to prepare your portfolio for final presentation. Can you put your pieces in a nice, portfolio for presentation such as this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz150/70/

Ideally you want one of those with plastic pages so you don't have to mount your work on something like illustration / presentation board, which will take you a bit of time. You will have to consider also how you want to label things.

I hope this helps. You just have to give it your best shot, and hope for the best. Present your work in the best way possible, and then submit your portfolio on time, making sure to meet their requirements.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #23
erm, that zipper briefcase has plastic pages?or you mean compiling all into a plastic file?and i dont really know what is the size for full resolution (300 dpi). usually, after i scanned, i opened it in adobe photoshop to save it for web.so, i havent really grasp the usage for photoshop.as for being in army service, i had to b there for at least 2 yrs?i suppose and i think that it may be possible to take night classes but, i dont think that it is possible cuz after a day of rigorous training, i'm too drained to do anything else let alone taking classes. my plan for now is, after i get into this college, i'm taking my maths at the same time, so that i could combine my certificates to get a better grade, or say cover up my ugly maths score.heh.

Old 03 March 2006   #24
oh and btw what size do you recommend?cuz ther's like 6 sizes and i don't really know what is their actual size.

Old 03 March 2006   #25
Fusioniz,

I would go to a local art store if there is one near you, having first measured your largest work. Take the measurements with you, and talk to a clerk about the right size and type of portfolio to get.

Don't order from a website (and particularly not a US website) as it will take time to ship. I would go today if possible to an art store and find a suitable portfolio for your work.

This is more of what I'm thinking of in terms of a portfolio:

It has clear plastic sleeves into which you can slip your drawings.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #26
Ooo cool. i think the pictures i drew are all A4 size. so do you think that i should buy A4 and buy a bigger size later on?

Old 03 March 2006   #27
A bigger size portfolio? Heh, I'm not familiar with the A4 size system. Teck, any thoughts?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #28
Becca, no worries about distance, really. You can get from one end of this little country to the other in half an hour of crazy driving.

NS really isn't all that bad, at least in my own opinion. I had a great time, and it's character building (yes, cliche, I know, but it's true). The way I've always seen it, you get out of it what you want to get out of it. Go in there wanting to hate it, and you most certainly will, and you'll have a horrible time of it. Go in with the right attitude, enjoy the good, and roll with the punches.

Whether you're able to take night classes will depend entirely on the vocation you get dropped into after boot. If you get a cushy desk job, by all means go for night classes.Anything else, and you'll probably have trouble making it to class, let alone manage the assignments.

Old 03 March 2006   #29
ehheh yup.i hope your right lotekk.im going to get one file tomorrow.

Old 03 March 2006   #30
Jesus H Christ it apparently took me five minutes to post my message. Got super-insta-posted.

If you don't have any plans to do any bigger pieces, then by all means go for an A4 folio. ArtFriend at Bras Basah has a boatload of different types.

Thread Closed share thread