CGTalk > Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #61
Dreamy Kid
delusional grandeur

Devin S
fina art learner level 0
Toronto, Canada

one thing i've been meaning to ask you bec,

when i draw a figure i always decide roughly the height of the figure using the head measurement system, basically measuring body parts according to the head, because i want to get a good proportion. lets say, the chest is 1 head away from the chin, something like that. sometimes i do this measurement very fast using my fingers. I've been wondering if this method is bad in a long run, or is it common for beginner to do this? thanks

Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #62
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Dreamy Kid,

Check out The Anatomy Thread of Redehlert, post #18:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...65&page=2&pp=15

which shows a proportional diagram using the measuring system of heads.

There's really no 'bad' way of doing things ~ it's what works for you. I recommend trying to copy this proportions chart freehand. Really, learning proportions is a matter of doing a lot of drawings. The 2 minute poses are great for this! You can basically quickly represent the head with a circle, the major central axis of the body with a fluid line, and the limbs as offshoots of that central line. Then you can begin to develop the torso as a peanut shape, with the upper torso being a sort of ellipse, and the lower torso being a shorter, more rounded ellipse. I'll try to post some examples of this later, probably this weekend.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #63
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Dreamy Kid,

Check out The Anatomy Thread of Redehlert, post #18:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...65&page=2&pp=15

which shows a proportional diagram using the measuring system of heads.

There's really no 'bad' way of doing things ~ it's what works for you. I recommend trying to copy this proportions chart freehand. Really, learning proportions is a matter of doing a lot of drawings. The 2 minute poses are great for this! You can basically quickly represent the head with a circle, the major central axis of the body with a fluid line, and the limbs as offshoots of that central line. Then you can begin to develop the torso as a peanut shape, with the upper torso being a sort of ellipse, and the lower torso being a shorter, more rounded ellipse. I'll try to post some examples of this later, probably this weekend.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #64
Kencho
賢鳥

portfolio
Jesús Alonso Abad
Bachelor's degree (currently studying for Master's) on Computer Science
University of Burgos
Burgos, Spain

Mr. Mu, don't worry, I understood what you said Just that maybe I thought I was a noob and you didn't consider me one Thanks for the comments everybody. I'll open a new thread for myself (not leaving this one) as soon as I do my copies from Bridgman's

You're doing a great work, I feel really comfortable here surrounded by all this talent!

Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #65
Kencho
賢鳥

portfolio
Jesús Alonso Abad
University of Burgos
Burgos, Spain

PS: Rebeccak, could you make this thread sticky? I think it would be really useful for anyone who comes to this forum, and maybe they don't notice if it's too low in the list

Old 12-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #66
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Kencho,

My apologies, there are too many Stickies already but if you guys keep posting, the thread should stay near the top of the list.

Never fear, however, as this thread is linked here:

Tutorials, Workshops, Anatomy Reviews & More ... [links within]

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273525
(see last post)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #67
Kencho
賢鳥

portfolio
Jesús Alonso Abad
University of Burgos
Burgos, Spain

Thumbs up

LOL, sorry, didn't notice the 9 sticky ones, hahaha ^^; It's okay, was just an idea I had

Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #68
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

No problem!

Cheers,

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #69
Mu
enthusiast

portfolio
Murat Kayi
Dortmund, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Mu
hi,

just did another 30 2min-sketches. Will try to borrow a scanner from a friend of mine tomorrow.

Rebecca, I believe due to your overwhelming activities you missed two questions I had earlier today. Don't mean to get on your nerves, but I'll include them in this post, too, for convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
I had a problem with my gesture sketches which stems from the fact that loomis "told me" to construct poses via his skeletal framework and building the figure from within, while in your gesture lesson you make use of a much looser approach (peanut-shaped torso etc.) - I was confused.
You should keep in mind I am german (of turkish origin, but you know what I mean, don't you...;-)) and as such I am fond of rules. Give me a set of rules and I can set to work.

Now, give me a set of contradictive rules and I will sit down (not on the grass as it is verboten) and wait for a police officer to tell me what is allowed and what is not.

But yesterday I just figured: "to hell with instructions! I'll just draw what I see..."

QUESTION 1: What should I do for future gestures? Just somehow do it? Go for a skeletal framework? Use The Peanut? Or is the loomis-framework only used for things which can take more time?

QUESTION 2: I reread the whole oppposing curves thread the other day(s) and it said there you were going to provide info on color theory, but I could not find it. Is this cancelled?

As I said: don't mean to shove - just thought you might not have seen them

Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #70
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Mr. Mu,

Sorry to have missed your post! ~No, it's hard to get on my nerves by asking questions.

Can't really answer in depth atm, but I find that bit about your German heritage dictating that you learn according to rules rather hilarious... ~trust me, I understand!

Will try to post some thoughts re: Gesture in a bit. With respect to a formal system, have you ever seen any of Glenn Vilppu's work? He has a Drawing Manual which is linked in the Anatomy Books Sticky (I think) at the top of this forum. It spells out pretty clearly the formal system that is looser than Loomis'.

Will post more soon.

In the meantime, follow your instincts ~ remember that there is not 'wrong' approach. I think that learning how to draw is a matter of learning a number of different systems, and then combining them into your own (everyone filters information differently).

I can understand how different systems can be confusing, however. It's taken me years to synthesize the various approaches I was taught in school. I think Lautrec, or someone of his era, said that it took him just as many years to forget what he had learned in school as it had taken him to learn it. Believe me, drawing is no simple task! But the process can be quite rewarding.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-02-2005, 11:01 PM   #71
Mu
enthusiast

portfolio
Murat Kayi
Dortmund, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccak
No, it's hard to get on my nerves by asking questions.

that's cool cause I am rather talkative when it comes to learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccak
With respect to a formal system, have you ever seen any of Glenn Vilppu's work? He has a Drawing Manual which is linked in the Anatomy Books Sticky (I think) at the top of this forum. It spells out pretty clearly the formal system that is looser than Loomis'.

ah, I will go and take a look

Quote:
Will post more soon.

always looking forward to it

Quote:
In the meantime, follow your instincts ~ remember that there is not 'wrong' approach. I think that learning how to draw is a matter of learning a number of different systems, and then combining them into your own (everyone filters information differently).

*sighs* yeah, I need to let go of that "Look, did I do it the right way?"-approach. So I think I'll just drink in everything til the approach that works best for me comes more or less natural...got you right mace rebecca?

Quote:
I think Lautrec, or someone of his era, said that it took him just as many years to forget what he had learned in school as it had taken him to learn it. Believe me, drawing is no simple task! But the process can be quite rewarding.

yea, i often compare what people tell me here with what I had to go through in my process of becoming a guitar player. It's been pretty much the same. It's funny how these processes resemble each other though the artforms are so different. And it's funnier still how I can't figure this out though I have been through all this in another attempt at learning craftmanship. you never stop learning - that's fun!

Thank you so much for everything you do here!

Old 12-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #72
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Hehe, thanks, Mr. Mu! I enjoy it quite a lot.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-03-2005, 04:23 AM   #73
Dreamy Kid
delusional grandeur

Devin S
fina art learner level 0
Toronto, Canada

i was curious and checked some of vilppu's work on his studio website, it looks really interesting , i'm planning to purchase it soon. ( gosh i've been spending money on this bundle of graphic design magazine today, so might have to wait for a while hehe for me, It's always interesting to learn something from different point of view, even if it does cover the same thing . I think thats how i've been learning all this time hahah. I've been learning a lot from walt reed. loomis and jack hamm, each one of them cover things from different point of view and different explanation.

I was checking the cgworkshop page earlier , and noticed that becca taught one of the workshop. ack i wish i had know this earlier , bec next time you have another workshop please let me know, i'm sooooooooo looking forward for it

yeay finally its weekend, you guys have a good weekend

Last edited by Dreamy Kid : 12-03-2005 at 04:26 AM.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #74
lunat1k
reyes bonjwa

portfolio
Angel Ivanov
Worldwide FX
Sofia, Bulgaria

Here are a few eye studies I did yesterday. It took approximately 20-30 minutes for each one in Photoshop using Wacom Volito 2 tablet. The first two were done with reference, the third one without.

The hardest part so far is those dark speckles in the iris, I just can't seem to get them right.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #75
Kencho
賢鳥

portfolio
Jesús Alonso Abad
University of Burgos
Burgos, Spain

My two asignments from Bridgman's. Tried the 2-5-15 method. It's wonderful!
(pg. 12)

(pg. 28)

Suggestions?

Thread Closed share thread