Beginners' Lounge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Talking

Kopprsnake,

Welcome aboard, we're glad to have you! I think this thread was a good idea too, so thanks to Dreamy Kid for the notion!

Will have a better chance to look at your work later this evening. Thanks for telling us about yourself! All hobbyists and enthusiasts are welcomed!

Mr. Mu,

Sounds like a good plan! Thanks for the background info, it is helpful to me and also interesting. Looking forward to working with you, and laughing all along the way!

Will definitely check out your work later on.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
oh, rebecca! This task is driving me mad. I had been feeling like I had improved a bit over the last four weeks especially and now this...
I took a timer software and artweaver

2mins

5mins

15mins

why oh why and how have i become so bad again?
Could be my crappy equipment - i will try this now with pencil/sketchbook, but can not post it as I do not have a scanner at home...

12 December 2005
Talking

Mr. Mu,

Never fear! Good drawings days are like good hair days, they come and go. I actually really like your 2 minute sketch ~ I would encourage you to do more of these! It's okay to have a drawing day that you don't consider to be your best ~ there is an old art school saying that the first 500 drawings you do are just to get the bad ones out. It's TOTALLY true ~ I have just heaps of bad drawings that I keep just to taunt me. Really, for every 7~10 drawings I do, I will get maybe one worth saving. Drawing is not an exact science, and your mood, environment, and lots of other factors can affect how you draw on any given day. Don't despair ~ make judgements on a batch of drawings, not just one or two.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
hello peeps, sorry for havent posted in the past 2 days....work and college has been brutal, <i hate groupwork>. So happy to see more people join this thread, the more the merrier. I'm trying my best to draw and learn at least 2 hours a day. so far so good. been doing some gesture drawing this past dew days, and following the mini excercise, thanks a lot becca I learnt alot.

The main problem I found :
sometimes it's hard for me to get a conclusion of shape from the body part, so i end up with a weird shape sometimes. In my humble opinion, One thing i found useful to cure this "syndrome" is to get a good understanding of shape conclusion. therefore blocking the body with simple shape really helps. yesterday I did a quick 15 min master copy gesture drawing, and i wasnt happy with that, kind of frustrating - you know that there was something's wrong with but dont know what's wrong and dont know how to fix. so i stop drawing for a while, sit back, and grab my collection of anatomy book. I did some practice using Andrew loomis' manequin. I hope my sharing is useful for you guys.

This is the drawing i did before i did the practice

Michelangelo B - The Risen Christ - Anatomy Lesson from the Great Masters page 42
15 minutes

and this is the after

I think i see a bit improvement in the second picture, well hopefully there is .

I'll definitely will do some more practice this weekend and post some more, thanks for the mini tut bec

Last edited by Dreamy Kid : 12 December 2005 at 01:24 AM.

12 December 2005
Quote: Rebeccak
Never fear! Good drawings days are like good hair days, they come and go. I actually really like your 2 minute sketch ~ I would encourage you to do more of these! It's okay to have a drawing day that you don't consider to be your best ~ there is an old art school saying that the first 500 drawings you do are just to get the bad ones out. It's TOTALLY true ~ I have just heaps of bad drawings that I keep just to taunt me. Really, for every 7~10 drawings I do, I will get maybe one worth saving.

thats true bec, sometimes i even scared to open my sketch book, I have more bad drawings than the not-so-bad one, i sometimes even scared to show people my sketch book. I feel like i want to rip off all the bad drawing and left the good one haha, but when i look back at my old sketch book, I noticed the improvement, so i'll just keep learning and enjoy it ^__^. the first 500 drawings are the bad ones eh, so i guess 500 and counting down for me haha

12 December 2005
Wonderful sketches everybody! Keep up the good work!
Two from Burne Hogarth's "Drawing Dynamic Hands"
(page 98; Approximately 45 mins)

(Page 109; Approximately 30 mins)

I'll start working with Bridgman's as soon as possible (I've been quite busy lately)

12 December 2005
Hi everyone,

I just snatched some reference pictures from OFDW008, since my books are not arriving soon :S, probably after xmas i think, I do bought a book with all the work of michelangelo, i will try to copy something if i got time. School and stuff is driving me crazy, during the week im at campus, and my wacom tablet is at home :( but i will try to draw something everyday with paper and pencils

It's getting late here, I just finished 1 reference drawing, a 2 minute sketch and a 7 minute sketch, would love to do the 15 mins one if i had more time, I know nothing about shading .. actually i dont know what to do with the 15 mins sketch . . . what detail can i add, my drawing is a mess already I think adding small details will get worse hehe. . dont want to think about drawing the little eyes and stuff.

When drawing this reference, I found out that my main problem is:

- proportions

- giving the body parts the right direction and shape, had lots of difficulity with drawing the arms, hands, feet and especially the legs were horrible to draw . . had to redo a couple times and it still looks kinda wierd =/.

I'm happy that more people are joining It's always fun to see work from others, and ofcourse . . . learn from each other

Well, im heading to bed now, have fun drawing everyone.

ciao

12 December 2005
dreamykid - i see a lot of improvement, too. really dynamic. I practised the loomis mannequin, too. Did you erase that from the drawing?

kencho - i immediately recognised the hand plates from BH's book! I think they are excellent. What are you hanging out here for?

calvin_c - cool you are around. With the help of master kimmel all shall be well...

Rebecca. I am sort of stubborn. I said to myself: "500 huh? let's get it over with..." So I downloaded all of the references in the sketchathon thread and started 2 minute sketches.

Somehow I wanted to grind out a "good hair day" for me. I just did 26 of them and will take my sketchbook with me. I have a scanner at the office...gonna post them tomorrow. need sleep now. sentences lack subject. this one even verb.

*forehead plonks in desk*

12 December 2005
hey mu, i did som practice with it, but when i actually draw it i dont redraw the manequin 100% ( including the skeleton and everything hehe), but you probably can still see the torso part. i find it useful to learn the conlusion of shape. for the other part of the body like the arm for example, i usually just use cylinder and try to get the basic proportion right ^__^. ah i dont feel like good enough to tell you this thing, but i love to share things that had been helpful, at least for me. cheers

12 December 2005
Talking

Quote: Originally posted by gorgnut: Heres two image of some recent work.

Gorgnut, sorry, I missed your post! Did you do the Skull for the Anatomy Review, or on your own? At any rate, you've got a good start with the value studies here!

Glad to have you on the thread and forum.

Quote: Originally posted by me_aaeem:

1)what are the things that I need to concentrate while learning this way, is it to make exact resemblence? anatomy/pose/gesture? the essence of the work?

For a short, 2-5-15 minute pose, you want to concentrate on the gesture and essence.
For a longer pose, you want to do the above first, and try to sustain it through to the end of a finished piece. You don't want to sacrifice the Gesture to the Anatomy. You could put millions of rendered muscles on a figure, but if the Gesture is wrong, the whole drawing will be off. Get the Gesture FIRST. Always.

Quote: 2)from your experience which is a better approach? doing master copy with various styles? or try to assimilate the master's style?

I think it's best to try to copy the master's style as closely as possible at first. By 'at first' I mean for as long as you feel you are learning from that master's style ~ it could be months, or even years. But I also feel it's good to take different approaches to learning how to draw simultaneously. For example, I think it's a good idea to do rendered Anatomy studies of bones and muscles at the same time as doing Gestures etc.

Kencho,

Verrry nice pieces! Are you sure you are such a beginner? While you could refine your linework a bit, these are quite lovely studies. Great to see your post!

Calvin_C,

Nice to see your work! Keep at it...the key here is mileage.

Dreamy Kid,

That is indeed a nice improvement! The opposing curves in your second piece are really quite beautiful...you're definitely headed in the right direction! I look forward to seeing more results from your practice sessions.

Sorry if I've missed anyone...you guys are all doing a good job!!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
weee finally you're back hehe, thanks for the review bec, I still need to work on my speed though, my drawing is so slow. my 2 and 5 min drawing end up way more than that, sometimes i just get confused and have to stare for a while at the model & my drawing. hopefully my speed will be getting faster as i do more practice.

just noticed the snow at your avatar, thats the christmas spirit

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by dreamyKid: ah i dont feel like good enough to tell you this thing

nono, man - you needn't be good neither to tell someone what his drawings are missing nor to tell someone how you approach things.

Originally Posted by dreamyKid: but i love to share things that had been helpful

exactly: it *is* helpful to see how others are working. Keeps you wondering about what else you could change in order to improve.

HEre's what became of my spite-driven 2min-solo-sketchathon of yesterday's night when I did not want to have a bad-draw-day - I had this timer software running and it was like a "gong" in the boxing ring for me... (graphite/little sketchbook - 2 mins each):

Last edited by Mu : 12 December 2005 at 09:50 AM.

12 December 2005
Mr. Mu, Rebecca: Yup, I'm quite noob indeed. I think the other sketches I posted in the sketchathon can testify many of my problems. My main problem with anatomy is to put the correct proportions and directions (I have a secondary problem about my muscles knowledge, so some forms are usually... wrong. In the legs, for instance). These books are really helping me indeed, but I've noticed that I don't advance without some kind of advice on my drawings (my friends just say "wow, you draw amazingly", though I can see *lots* of failures on them), and that's why I joined here. Anyways if you think I shouldn't be here, I can open a different thread and work there
But thanks a lot for your comments, I really really appreciate them ^__^

12 December 2005
Talking

Dreamy Kid,

2 min. drawings are tough, I'll try to point out some stuff very soon with respect to doing them. You're doing great! It takes a while to get the hang of. Just keep practicing, and you will get faster!

Mr. Mu,

LOL, you've had a good drawing day! There are lots of nice sketches here, you are to be congratulated! Hehe, maybe there aren't 500 yet, but you'll get there!

Kencho,

You're welcome to post wherever you feel comfortable! I like the group setting, frankly, it makes things easier for me. And I think it ensures more interaction. So cool ~ post away!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Rebecca, I have two questions at the end of my post.

but first of all:

Quote: Anyways if you think I shouldn't be here, I can open a different thread and work there

No! I mean, yea, if you are going to have your own thread, why not. But stay in this one, too by all means. I just wanted to express how very much un-noobian these Hogarth studies looked like!

Quote: Hehe, maybe there aren't 500 yet, but you'll get there!

yea, gimme another week or so...

thanks for the congrats. This really turned out to be very instructive(?). I had a problem with my gesture sketches which stems from the fact that loomis "told me" to construct poses via his skeletal framework and building the figure from within, while in your gesture lesson you make use of a much looser approach (peanut-shaped torso etc.) - I was confused.
You should keep in mind I am german (of turkish origin, but you know what I mean, don't you...;-)) and as such I am fond of rules. Give me a set of rules and I can set to work.

Now, give me a set of contradictive rules and I will sit down (not on the grass as it is verboten) and wait for a police officer to tell me what is allowed and what is not.

But yesterday I just figured: "to hell with instructions! I'll just draw what I see..."

QUESTION 1: What should I do for future gestures? Just somehow do it? Go for a skeletal framework? Use The Peanut? Or is the loomis-framework only used for things which can take more time?

QUESTION 2: I reread the whole oppposing curves thread the other day(s) and it said there you were going to provide info on color theory, but I could not find it. Is this cancelled?

Thread Closed share thread