Beginners' Lounge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #31
Thumbs up

Hey Reb (since thats what u are going by in here.)
im in on this cos i need some reason to practise.
At my job i get an hour for lunch so Im going to start doing anatomy practise during that time. Im going to pick up "Anatomy Lessons from the great masters" on my way to work tomorrow. (i just checked onlineand its available).
Any particulars for the assignment?
or should i just get the book and get moving, knocking back mileage on the road to greatness ?? xD

by the way thanks for tirelessly posting and replying. You devote a lot of energy to such threads here on CG talk. Know it is appreciated.

Oh - as for my training and background - i have just completed (as in 2weeks ago - yah me) a Bachelor Degree in Design at Massey University in Wellington NZ. My major was 3D animation, but i did some illustration and life drawing papers during it. However i didnt apply myself that well in papers other than animation - and now i want to improve in my drawing and illustration skills. Especially in anatomy and i REALLY would like to be good at portraiture. I can get a likeness now but im not happy with my work. Ill scan some stuff in 2moro maybe and show u some examples.
I work for a web design company (only as of the past 2 weeks) so far designing avatars and such for them. I always planned to get into 3D character animation, and while i have done a little contract work in that area recently too, I am more open to my career moving in an organic direction than i was while still studying.
ha. thats a life story huh?
cool
till then

Last edited by MatthewRodgers : 11 November 2005 at 01:22 PM.

Old 11 November 2005   #32
Talking

@me_aaeemm

Thanks for that! It's always interesting for me to know something about you guys, everyone has diverse backgrounds, so it's cool to hear! Check out some of the books listed above, remember that they may be available at your local library!

I will try tonight to get together a little exercise to post for everyone here who is interested in doing one. I think it's great to see your guys' enthusiasm! Anyone is welcome to join in at any point.

@Cavematty,

Thanks!! It's nothing but fun for me. I am happy to help people who are motivated to draw and paint the human figure!

Looking forward to seeing your work, and as I mentioned above, I will try to post a little exercise tonight. However, if you just want to go ahead and take 2-3 master drawings and start right in on doing copies, I would not be opposed!

I would use either pencil (2 - 4B) or ballpoint pen to do these studies, on good (decent) sketchbook paper.

Looking forward to your posts!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #33
Alright, trying to find time for some sketches inbetween my math and physics studies (big tests coming up). Also loaned a book about known European Sculptures from A.D 1000-1800. There were some good references in there that Im going to try and use as reference.

From Workshop 08 (i think)

Tear it apart people!

Old 11 November 2005   #34
found and borrowed "drawing lessons fromt the great masters" from the library today...did this master copy from page 223 during between classes...

i some questions regarding copying from the masters...

1)what are the things that I need to concentrate while learning this way, is it to make exact resemblence? anatomy/pose/gesture? the essence of the work?

2)from your experience which is a better approach? doing master copy with various styles? or try to assimilate the master's style?

Multimedia University,
Cyberjaya,
MALAYSIA.

www.azimwan.com

Old 11 November 2005   #35
Talking

Hey, you guys! Good to see your work here. I'll post some comments soon.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #36
which part . .

Hi everyone,

I just got my wacom tablet and want to start drawing. I am totally new to the drawing, I'm thinking to copy some anatomy drawings. Does it matter with which part im starting ? arms, legs head etc. . maybe some parts are easy to start with ?

thnx in advance

Old 12 December 2005   #37
Talking

Calvin_C,

Welcome aboard! Have you ever done any traditional drawing before? It's okay if you haven't, I am just curious so I can know where you are coming from. Can you tell us a bit about your background and training, and how you came to be interested in figurative art?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #38
Hi rebeccak

Well, from origin im actually webdesigner. I have played photoshop for years, but never used it for painting, only for retouching and layout design, I know nothing about all the brush settings for painting in photoshop. i've also done some 3D modeling in maya . . but that changed after I found out all the stuff you can make with painting in photoshop.

I discovered this forum when I was reading a magazine, just surfed by and I was amazed by the paintings . . Actually i've been trolling this forum for a while, but always had problem to get started heheh, I got my tablet . . so I think i should be ready to go =/ And finally . . I followed some basic drawing dvd's from vilppu.

simply said, my background training for drawing is zero . . well maybe a little bit more now after the training videos and all the forum trolling

Hope this helped a little

Last edited by CalvinChoy : 12 December 2005 at 12:19 AM.

Old 12 December 2005   #39
Talking

Calvin_C,

Hey, that's really helpful to know, I'm glad to see that you are finally posting after perusing the forum, and it's particularly helpful to know that you've watched some Vilppu DVD's. I have not personally seen them, but have his book and know well his approach ~ it's basically the same approach as I was trained in in school, and so I am familiar with the basic principles which he teaches. I will have a bit more time to post more later (my apologies for not posting a true exercise yet) but I would recommend as a start to just test out your Wacom (and this may seem silly) by doing a bunch of scribbly lines with varying line weights (remember that Wacom's are pressure sensitive) and also drawing a bunch of basic shapes that you are familiar with from 3D ~ spheres, cubes, cylinders, toruses, cones, etc ~ just draw several "pages" of these to get warmed up. This is particularly useful because all basic figurative drawing starts out with the basic principle of constructing human form out of basic primitive shapes. Vilppu calls the basic torso a 'peanut' shape, and it is the most useful concept I've come across in terms of expressing human form simply. Draw a bunch of organic shapes first, and feel free to post your results here!

As for Photoshop settings, I recommend using the Airbrush setting for your brush, and using the color black on a white bkgrd (create a new layer above your bkgrd for your brushstrokes) and work in a decently large format ~ say 800 x 600 at 72 dpi, or 600 x 800, whatever ~ and just get in there and start doodling! The main bit at this point is to get familiar with the feel of the Wacom tablet.

And, as I say, post those doodles!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #40
Talking

ASSIGNMENT 1: GESTURE DRAWING FROM REFERENCE

As an assignment, I would choose 2~3 drawings OR reference images of your choice, give yourself 1 WEEK, and post your results here! Whatever stage you are at is fine ~ if you are just testing your wacom, that is fine.

What I recommend is the following: for each of the Reference images you choose to work from, do 3 timed poses. Start from the beginning with each drawing ~ don't build on top of just one drawing, but do 3 SEPARATE drawings.

So, for instance, if you were to draw from, say, a master copy:

1. Do a 2 minute drawing from the master copy.

Capture the ESSENCE. Draw fast. Get down the essential information. Do not draw details at this stage!

2. Do a 5 minute drawing from the master copy.

Same deal. Capture the most information you can. Think gesture!

3. Do a 15 minute drawing from the master copy.

Again, the emphasis is on speed!

Here is a good example of a Gesture Drawing:

http://www.cwturner.com/portfolio_lg/gesture_girl.jpg

Work in the medium of your choice.

Don't be shy about your efforts! Post your work here ~ we're all here to learn!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #41
Hi rebecca,

I am not sure I got this increasing timer thingy right as it's an advice of yours for the sketchathon, too:

I do three separate sketches of 2,5 and 15 so they add up to an overall 22 or do I continue on the 2-min-sketch til I reach the 5 minutes and then for another ten so I spent fifteen minutes all in all?

I think I will use my sketch in sketchathon as a basis for the OFDW008. As a matter of fact, the creative explosion in the sketchathon is almost scary. Think I will try to get some gestures rolling in here and at the same time try to come up with something proper in the OFDW...

I think I lost some weight´on this CGdiet - it all boils down to forgetting about the meals altogether

Old 12 December 2005   #42
Hey rebaccak, thnx for getting me started. I started right away yesterday, and did some more this morning. I probably missed your gesture post ( different time-zone i guess ), will try to do some gesture later on.

anyway I drawed 3 pages. When I woke up in the morning today and looked at what I've drawed yesterday night on page one, I had to laugh lol . . . guess it was too late

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image001.jpg (33.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Image002.jpg (38.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Image003.jpg (42.0 KB, 196 views)

Old 12 December 2005   #43
Talking

Originally posted by Mr. Mu: Do I do three separate sketches of 2,5 and 15 so they add up to an overall 22

Yep! DO NOT do just 1 drawing from one Reference image. Do 3 Drawings from 1 Reference image.

Such that:

From 1 Reference image you do:
- one 2 minute drawing
- one 5 minute drawing
- one 15 minute drawing

These are not cumulative! Start from scratch on each drawing in terms of time.

I think I will use my sketch in sketchathon as a basis for the OFDW008. As a matter of fact, the creative explosion in the sketchathon is almost scary. Think I will try to get some gestures rolling in here and at the same time try to come up with something proper in the OFDW...

Great! I think the Sketchathon thread is the perfect launching point from a fast drawing to one that is more complex. Perfect! Scary, but good.

I think I lost some weight´on this CGdiet - it all boils down to forgetting about the meals altogether

LMAO!

~~

Originally posted by Calvin_C: Hey rebaccak, thnx for getting me started. I started right away yesterday, and did some more this morning. I probably missed your gesture post ( different time-zone i guess ), will try to do some gesture later on.

anyway I drawed 3 pages. When I woke up in the morning today and looked at what I've drawed yesterday night on page one, I had to laugh lol . . . guess it was too late

No prob! Hehe, that's the point ~ get the practice out of the way. That last page looks good!! Looking forward to seeing your Gesture Drawings. No worries, I posted it at around 1 am my time.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #44
I'm new to posting in here, but I've been lurking for a while, probably hoping for a beginners thread like this.

Anyhoo, I've always had an interest in drawing/painting and CG art, but apart from doodling and dabbling with various aspects of 3D, I haven't taken my interest further. Due to my lack of a traditional arts background I found it difficult to develop my ideas, and this limited the things I could do in 3D. After several unsuccessful attempts to work around it, I decided to teach myself drawing/painting skills with the help of books. Recently I joined an evening class in drawing/painting to enhance my learning, and now all the bits and bobs I've picked up over the years are starting to fit together. My focus on 3D has taken a back-seat for the time being, while I get up to speed with drawing/painting.

Below is a link to a drawing I have been working on in my art class; a copy of 'Morning Sun' by Edward Hopper. It is one of the few 'proper' drawings I have done since I was at school and the only tonal/chiaro-scuro drawing I have ever done, but I have learned quite a lot while doing it.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c.../HopperCopy.jpg

Old 12 December 2005   #45
Hi everyone,

background: amateur enthusiast. no courses. I have always loved to draw. Never been good at it, though. I tried watercolor and pastels (pastel chalk) for a while, but gave it up, coz I sucked, really. Then I discovered a 30-days-painter demo, adequate freeware and a tablet for 15€. I ignited again and I cannot tell you how I love to ctrl+z things when with traditional media I had to throw away big sheets of paper and feel bad for a week.

I plan to go back to traditional one day, though.

In the meantime I shall get better.

the Plan: get good at anatomy, do an anatomy thread, study in the OFDWs, get good at sketching, work through all of my ressources

Ressources:
- all of the loomis books as pdf (currently working on the "hands"-section in "fun with a pencil")
- burne hogarth: drawing dynamic hands, drawing the human head(english title?)
- everything online, it's a bounty!

sorry for the weird lines in the drawings - that's because I often draw while doing business calls at work on my statistics sheet!

Thread Closed share thread