Beginners' Lounge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #16
Thumbs up

Gorgnut, that skull looks great, and the values are perfect IMHO!

Old 11 November 2005   #17
Thank you!
I made it in Painter with just pure white, pure black and middle gray. First I did a little sketch and tried to nail the proportions correct. Then I used the Digital Airbrush and the "Just add water" blender (Blenders -> Just Add Water). The great thing about it was that it was so flexible! If you have a copy of Painter I suggest you to try it out, I didn't find it hard at all and it was great fun!

Old 11 November 2005   #18
hey kencho and gorgnut welcome to this thread, nice to see you guys here

Becca, I've been out all day and i'm beat, i went to a local second hand book store and do some book shopping ^__^. I was able to find this book for a good deal ( everything under canadian $13 Dynamic anatomy by Burne Hogarth, Anatomy lessons from the great master, and drawing lessons from the great masters, glad to add them to my library . i couldnt spend more time doing the book hunting since they were about to close, but i'll probably going back there someday this week. I havent drawn anything today, been busy working on some web design for clients and do some school project. i'll try to do some things tomorrow after school and post them later on, thanks

Last edited by Dreamy Kid : 11 November 2005 at 03:56 AM.

Old 11 November 2005   #19
Talking

Dreamy Kid,

AWESOME!!! Those are some GREAT books, and I'm thrilled you've found them! Spent all day book shopping, eh? Well, look at it this way ~ you won't have to do that again, at least for Anat. books, for quite a while.

Alrighty then...I would just pick a few master drawings that you like from the Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters book, and have at it! I would recommend either using 2B-4B pencils or my personal favorite, ballpoint pen for these studies, in a sketchbook. You may at one point want to get a fairly large (11x14) sketchbook, but really an 8.5 x 11" sketchbook should do. I know the sizes differ from country to country, but just use your best judgement ~ standard letter size or larger should suffice.

Looking forward to seeing your first copies! Let me know which pages you're copying from, so that I can look at the same reference.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #20
bec, before i forgot i actually have some question regarding drawing media, I always draw using 2b mechanical pencil, and rarely use regular pencil or ballpoint pen. I just thought that mechanical pencil give a fine sharp line and it's good for a study. do you think i should try regular pencil or ballpoint pen? I was planning to do some gesture drawing tomorrow just for warming up, i find it relaxing somehow hehe - maybe i should try experimenting using ballpoint or regular pencil just to get the feel of it? sorry this is sounds like a silly question

Old 11 November 2005   #21
Talking

Hey, no, it's not really a silly question at all ~ there's really no 'right' media to use ~ I have my personal favorites, and one happens to be ballpoint pen ~ but that's just me. I think mechanical pencils are fine ~ whatever you are most comfortable with. When I did studies like these in school, I used both pencils and ballpoint pen. The thing I like about pen is that it forces you to concentrate, since you can't erase. This can sometimes be a blessing in disguise.

At any rate, the materials you use are totally up to you. The only thing I would recommend is to use decent quality sketchbook paper. But, if you don't have any, any paper should do.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #22
Well, I went to my university library and found only these two:
- Drawing Dynamic Hands (Burne Hogarth)
- Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life (George Bridgman)
Anyway, seems that Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy will be returned soon, so I'll try to pick it as soon as possible.
Something interesting from those books, or I'll have to google for something?

Old 11 November 2005   #23
Talking

Kencho,

These are both great books! I would say, as your first assignment, to just choose 2~3 drawings from these books, and do copies in a sketchbook, using either pencil or ballpoint pen. Post your results here in one week, and we will give them a review!

Also, be sure to post the page 3#s of the images you will be copying, so that I can refer to the same reference.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #24
Your wish is my command

Old 11 November 2005   #25
Talking

LOL! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #26
my instructor at college was teaching boring html, so I spent the time read the thread about gesture drawing lol. anyway I did a few gesture drawings today ^__^ it's relaxing and help me to loosen up,( i'll post some tomorrow) and hopefully not too tired to do some head study tonight before i went to sleep.

been scanning through my book and looking for a master work to copy, hopefully i'll do good on it

good luck with your assignment kencho, i'm working on it as well and try my best to finish it before sunday, we dont want to get a detention from teacher becca ,do we?

Last edited by Dreamy Kid : 11 November 2005 at 09:50 PM.

Old 11 November 2005   #27
Talking

Quote: good luck with your assignment kencho, i'm working on it as well and try my best to finish it before sunday, we dont want to get a detention from teacher becca ,do we?

*snickers*

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #28
hi guys...thanks for opening this thread...rebecca i've been following your anatomy threads and trying to learn life drawing...it's really fun...i'm actually quite shy to post my drawing is quite messy in style ^_^...i dunno but i can only draw while in this fast-sketchy style....i tend to hv a "critical thinking" if i draw slowly, patiently and detaily...i really want to improve my strokes...any tips guys? thanks...

*sorry for the broken english ^_^;
Multimedia University,
Cyberjaya,
MALAYSIA.

www.azimwan.com

Old 11 November 2005   #29
Talking

me_aaeem,

Welcome aboard! It's nice to see your work, you've got some really nice stuff here! Not much time to post now, but would you be willing to do a few anatomy exercises on this thread?

Also, what is your training and background?

Cheers, and welcome!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #30
hi rebecca ^_^v

i'm now a sophomore at my uni...i hv basics in photography, video editting and 3d...

here they mainly teach on software and design works, so there's very little touched on fine arts but just art basics...there's no life drawing classes here...i really like to learn it...i picked up a book on the subject "The Natural Way to Draw (Nicolaides)" and use any pictures i can find to learn it and also read anatomy threads from cgtalk and conceptart...

thanks for the offer...i'm very happy to do exercises in this forum...

i'll try to pickup some life drawing books in next few days...looking foward to learn from you and everbody...

cheers...
Multimedia University,
Cyberjaya,
MALAYSIA.

www.azimwan.com

Thread Closed share thread