Sketchbook Thread - Post Your Best Pages! TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL (ANATOMY STUDIES)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #46
Talking

theseraphimabove,

Looks like you've got a very nice start there, and I remember doing many of these drawings as a first term Illustration student ~ back when I had to walk to school in the snow ~ one thing I would suggest is to block in the whole of the figure LOOSELY and FIRST. I know that as perfectionists, we try to get the whole thing right in one go, but one thing I discovered in reading about the Old Masters is that they traced and redid their drawings repeatedly to get them right ~ boy was I disappointed when I read that! My idea was that they were such Wunderkinds that they could just nail it on the first try, but t'was not the case ~ so there is not shame in redoing / retracing / redrawing work as you go.

Thanks for posting this, and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #47
Yeah I think i was reading one of your Art Reviews and realized that I sometimes focus on one side and then when I'm done with it, I scrap the whole drawing because the balance is already off to begin with and it never comes out.. One thing I was curious about, should I be employing higher contrast? I notice that my drawings are filled with a lot of midtones and nothing really catches the eye... Hard pencils will be my death ^_^ Thanks for the crit,

Seraph

Old 07 July 2005   #48
Talking

Seraph,

Check out some of these Master Drawings, and notice how loose some of these "finished" drawings look:

http://82.168.209.239/Diary/Ldi11/inv709_cn.jpg

http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/ash/objectofmonth/2001-12/images/michelangelo-idealheadsml.jpg

http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/rubens.slide.5.jpg

http://www.arkarts.com/images/art/aac_art_89044rubens.jpg

http://www.p4a.com/item_images/medium/17/82/72-01.jpg

I would try using at least a 2B pencil, and if you're brave, a 4B or 6B. I've personally never liked hard pencils for the very reason you cite, which is that you don't get much of a range.

You can always start out using a hard pencil, and then go back to reinforce with a softer pencil, like a 2B - just make sure you constantly sharpen - this is the pain with softer pencils.

It's best to keep in mind that no matter how finished you want a drawing to be, you should ALWAYS start with a looser gestural drawing first.

Good luck, and definitely post your results!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #49
Sketchs

Hello! There are some of my sketchs since last week. Great new fourm! I only have a few hours a week to draw so I have to do everything quick! My 30 min or less sketchs below do on a Tablet PC using SketchBook Pro, and a paper texture background.

Old 07 July 2005   #50
digital_bobert vbmenu_register("postmenu_2463379", true); : I love your last one, that made me laugh lots Great sketches.

Great work everyone maybe I'll post some work if I can find where I've stashed it all

Old 07 July 2005   #51
Talking

Dark3D: nice sketch~~~

__________________________________________________ _________________________

sketch in photoshop 7...

Old 07 July 2005   #52
Talking

Originally Posted by theseraphimabove: Zhuzhu,

I know my comments are a bit late in this thread, but I'm new to CGtalk and this is my first post. My hope is that, even so, you will read this at some point. Your figures are so absolutely inspiring to me, and you make me so envious!! ^_^ It's my goal to branch out from the traditional media and work primarily in the digital media, and your pieces here are the exact type that cause this desire. Not to mention that I absolutely love the human form in art. You pull it off near flawlessly in my opinion. I was curious, what sort of brushes did you use on your third figure? When i originally looked at each of them my first impression was "how can I recreate that look in painter?" So I'd appreciate it greatly if you might expand on the media used within your program to create the first and third pieces? Thanks so much,

seraph

thank you,i just saw someone post tutorials here,i 'd like to made some to post,coming soon.

Old 07 July 2005   #53
Talking

zhuzhu and EVERYONE,

POST TUTORIALS! POST TUTORIALS!

I encourage anyone and everyone who has a TUTORIAL to share to post it ~ as it contributes greatly to our community.

Thank you for your posts

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #54
Yeah zhuzhu make more tutorials, please
I would love to see a open canvas wpe from you or a video tutorial

Old 07 July 2005   #55
Tutorial Info.

Just so it's clear, here is a link to and the actual information regarding the posting of TUTORIALS which I wrote today in the ANNOUNCEMENTS thread: #11

EVERYONE,

POST TUTORIALS! POST TUTORIALS!

I encourage anyone and everyone who has a TUTORIAL to share to post it ~ as it contributes greatly to our community.

Thank you for your posts

~Rebeccak

EDIT:

For some of you, the term "MODERN MASTERS" may be intimidating, and I do not want some silly term to preclude people from posting their tutorials.

If you feel more comfortable, feel free to just post your TUTORIAL on the main Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Review thread and call it TUTORIAL *what it's about* by *your name*

EVERYONE has something to offer to the community here, and I hope you will share it with us!

Thank you

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #56
So I'm digging through my archive of drawings and such and I found a few drawings from my days in school when we had a live model available to us. I haven't been doing many figure drawings lately ... maybe I need to get back to school or find some figure drawing classes locally. I really enjoyed drawing with a model in front of me.

Anyway ... here's a couple of my drawings.

Last edited by Kirt : 07 July 2005 at 08:49 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #57
Talking

Kirt is just cool.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #58
Talking

today's

Last edited by zhuzhu : 08 August 2005 at 12:02 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #59
Talking

Figure 003

Last edited by zhuzhu : 08 August 2005 at 12:00 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #60
Talking

Figure 004

Last edited by zhuzhu : 08 August 2005 at 11:58 AM.

Thread Closed share thread