Sketchbook Thread - Post Your Best Pages! TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL (ANATOMY STUDIES)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #31
new sketch!

i just got a scanner yesterday, so i thought i'd test it out by doing a new sketch!

i also thought i'd try to follow what i think is the correct "workflow" to drawing a figure

first was the gesture (took about 4 mins)

just some guy with good posture looking angry + walking -- i was thinking achilles from TROY

next, i moved on to creating "opposing curves" of the torso as best as i could (took a little longer)

i also started penciling in some of the musculature/shading and moving to the curves on the limbs

next i filled in with shading and tried to build the detail (an hour and a half or so)

it's not where i want it to be and there are errors i'm too tired to fix. at least i know my scanner works. i'll finish it soon. haha, maybe never.

C&C appreciated!

Old 07 July 2005   #32
thanks for stwep-by-styep prints!

peace!

Old 07 July 2005   #33
some old works.sorry for badbad quality. i don't have scanner or good photocamera =(

Old 07 July 2005   #34
Thanks trianglekid for the tip! Yea I do 3D Art too and worked with ZBrush, its so cool, but I dind´t have the time to give it its chance. But I definitivly want to get my hands on it and will post it if I got something to show

zhuzhu, as the others said, beatiful!

AdrielaSakamoto, very nice! Could you tell us your technique to draw hair?

thetrianglekid, very nice study! Thanks!

snus, the women is great! Is it a drawing from life?

Old 07 July 2005   #35
Unhappy

I also have poor quality pix, i need a digi cam =(
These are some sketches i did today.

Old 07 July 2005   #36
!yayo, I like the first one most! Very nice. Pencil, right? Did you do them from imagination or real life?

Old 07 July 2005   #37
My hair tips

laber,

Wash often; avoid blow drying and harsh chemicals. sorry.. coudn't resist. Okay, this is just my way of doing hair, and I'm sure there are easier ways to do it, but obviously, I don't use em.

First, lay down your base color. Even in light colored hair, there will be a dark shade that will act as a base for all the other colors you will lay in. In this example, I chose a dark brown. If you work in Photoshop, put in each hair color on its own layer, so you can vary the opacity if you need to, or simply it out if you decide one color is too dominate or not to your satisfaction.

Study the hair of your subject, There will be many many different colors of strands of hair in one head, due to the light striking each a little differently, and some color changes with transparency, etch. Blonde hair is very transparent and will react not only to the color of light, but to the light reflecting off the adjacent strands. This is a long winded way of saying, don't use one or three colors for hair. use as many as you need for a realistic look. If you are going for realism.

In this example, I look at my photo reference and choose a base color. Then I choose another tone that lies somewhere between the darkest and the lightest. Do not use your color picker for this. Just eyeball it and try to get close.

Block in the basic shape of the hair. As you can see, my basic shape changed, but you are probably better than I at executing your vision. Then with a pixel wide brush, just start stroking in hair. If you set your middle color at less opacity, you will then be able to use your color picker in your own painting to obtain color in the same family without trying to guess.

In this case I used the color picker just on the edge of a stroke to pick up a color between the light golden brown and the darker color.

I'm sorry this is not finished, but it's had to take the back burner for real life. But, basically, that's the technique I use. Note also, that on this painting, I used a darker background to really pop the light blond/gold hair that caught the sunlight.

Let me see if I've forgotten anything. I make note of the lighter areas in the hair and immediately start laying them in so I can see where the direction of the hair is going, then I will go back in and lay in all the middle tones on another layer if I'm in photoshop. If I don't have access to layers, I will work from dark to light. Does this help?

reference and larger image following.

A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hairtut2.jpg (32.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg hairtut1.jpg (36.3 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by AdrielaSakamoto : 07 July 2005 at 06:58 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #38
thx! .9 2B mechanical pencil is my tool. These ones are real life.

Old 07 July 2005   #39
reference photo and larger image. YOu can zoom in on the second one to see how truly messy it is up close and personal. And, this is a very large image, real life.. something like 20 inches wide by some equally ridiculous number. The boy is only a tiny spot in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reference-A-copy.jpg (43.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg bighairtut.jpg (94.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by AdrielaSakamoto : 07 July 2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #40
Thank you so much Adriela! I will try it as soon as I can. Thanks!

Old 07 July 2005   #41
These are some older drawings.....

Never scaned the finish version...

Never finished...

Last edited by seth1 : 07 July 2005 at 11:39 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #42
Hi Rebecca,

So if I show you mine, will you show me yours? very curious :P

Steampunk Myths n Legends

Old 07 July 2005   #43
Talking

so...happy...

Bobby Bob wrote:

>So if I show you mine, will you show me yours?

Yes, hmm...er, my sketchbook <something unintelligible> doesn't...exactly...look...like...OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE ME SAY IT?! DIOS MIO!!!

Fine.

~Rebeccak

So, uh...sketch much? *runs*

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 07:56 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #44
Eso mismo digo yo!!! Madre de Dios sin pecado concebido!!! Snifff, snif.

Go bobby go! We want more
--kaspaxl

Old 07 July 2005   #45
Well this is just one piece, and it's rather unfinished as you can see..

I've got no formal art training yet (I start this year as an Illustration major). As a result, I know there are probably many things you guys will be able to find to critique about it, and I welcome the advice and help. This is one of my better drawings (not necessarily best ^_^) and right now I feel like I'm transitioning artistically and learning more about drawing. Starting to follow the forms more accurately rather than drawing my idea of the forms. Thanks in advance for the crits.

Seraph

Thread Closed share thread