chukho sketchbook (eat knowledge gain art)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2014
chukho sketchbook (eat knowledge gain art)

Helloooo. My name is Justin and I'm trying to get better at drawing. I want to be able to get better at art so that I could do the things I want to do, such as make characters and stories. I do want to do this for a living and that's my goal. Critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

1 hour hand study
1 hour portrait study
30 minute imaginative illustration

12 December 2014
Yaaay second post.

1 hour hand study
1 hour fashion? study
2 (30 min) portrait

So some more Bridgman hands. Pretty much drawing everything from that book. I mentioned I had a few days of rsi pains, I was suggested to by a community member to try out the overhand method of holding a pencil. My initial impressions is that it is far more comfortable and allows for greater range of movement. The cons to the overhand method is that I can't really do small drawings, as in it feels that overhand is meant for a fairly large canvas (I draw on cheap 8.5x11 print paper mainly). Going to keep trying the overhand method out, I like it and I don't like rsi.

Tried figure/fashion study and failed really hard on that. Man those drawings are growing in size as you go. Trying to draw fashion stuff, because I never know what to put on a character when I draw from my mind. Usually it's a t-shirt, jeans, and something that looks like shoes.

Annnd back to the dungeon.

Last are two 30 minute portrait studies. I decided to cut that hour portrait study in half because I felt I was spending too long on small details. I'm trying it this way to force myself to concentrate on the important stuff and not the small details. I feel this way if I manage to get down the important general stuff that it'll still look fairly good even if I don't get to the more detailed stuff.

12 December 2014
Morning stuff. Not much at all. The crappy sketch is for the daily sketch group. I didn't want to spend too much on it because it's only a sketch and all.

01 January 2015
I've been away for quite awhile. Spent the last day of 2014 and first day of 2015 at a relatives, which was nice and relaxing. I had some old sketchbook stuff I tried to show, but my camera couldn't really get a sharp image and it ended up being blurry. Based on my previous pencil sketches, is it even worth it to show those considering I don't put much thought and effort into them? I ask this because my sketches are very lacking and don't show much of anything. I probably should just post things I actually put effort into.

I bought a larger drawing pad (14x17in.) because I was tired of drawing on the dinky 8.5x11in printing paper. I like the larger pad so much better. I use to always draw small and never appreciated the larger canvas, but nowadays it's the opposite. So I did Bridgman hands on the large pad and it felt awesome, also very comfortable since I'm not confined to a small space.

The last few days after new years I spent finalizing an idea that I wanted to do. I created an intro and credit pics for a series called "I Want To Be An Artist" on Youtube, and I'm try to get it on Vimeo as well. Super generic and uninspiring title I know, but I decided to be straightforward with it. I did the intro and credit pics in Inkscape, so no painting stuff today. The series will basically be sped up videos of my painting process of studies and stuff with some commentary. I know I did this kind of thing before, but I since deleted the account due to not really using it. What I'm hoping to get out of this is showing people how I go about painting something, and maybe someone will be able to point out what I'm doing wrong or not as efficiently. Basically I'm still looking for more feedback on how to improve.

Here's the crappy intro. No actual drawing in this one. If you read the stuff above then you can skip it. I'ts more than 10 minutes long. 10 minutes of my voice. You don't want that.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAUaz_6R00[/video]

01 January 2015
Ohhh man, those are some wide palms. So not much today, yesterday? I've stayed past midnight again. I did my studies late, and I only did hand studies and a single portrait. I did manage one page of hands from my mind, and that should be easy to tell which one that is. Did another video, but missed my deadline for it and found out it's messed up. Whoopee. The portrait was what I recorded. I'll just post it later today. I'm finding out doing videos takes a ton of time. Hopefully get faster at it without it eating all my time.

01 January 2015
I very seriously like this last face study of whoever it is! The cast shadow is very well done especially around the nose. Under the head is a nice cast shadow too.

01 January 2015
DoopyDell Yeah I don't know who this is either. Thanks for the kind words.

So today wasn't super productive at all. Only have hand studies to show, and one page of hands from my mind. Editing videos took a super long time because I ended up redoing the editing. Though I don't think it was for nothing because now I think I'll be faster at editing. I did do another portrait study, but I want to pair it up with the video I did of it for "i want to be an artist" and that's for tomorrow. That's kind of cheating, but I'll make up for it by doing more studies. Doing a study, recording it, editing it, producing it, and uploading it take an awful amount of time. I decided to do a study in advance for the days I make a video so things are more manageable.

Here's the episode 1 of my series that was suppose to up Monday, and this time I'm actually drawing something. I'll probably just add the youtube channel to my sig instead of posting this all the time.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvo2HBmVi4BDgw1731ncLu8bPbWm0YWby[/video]

01 January 2015
I've wanted to do the same thing for a long time. Maybe in the morning I'll plan things out to take baby steps toward making that kind of video. It looks like you're the only other one active on this part of the forum so it'd be nice to do these in tandem with you if you don't mind some friendly company. Otherwise nice work!

01 January 2015
DoopyDell Hey dude. Yeah you should definitely make your own videos and show it to people. It might help in pushing you and keeping you on track. Yeah this section of the forum is fairly non active, but people must be checking it out from time to time. Dammit sketchbook section. BE MORE ACTIVE.

Not sure what you mean by doing this in tandem. Do you mean dropping by into each other's sketchbooks and commenting? I don't mind doing stuff in company.
If you want a more active community then I can definitely recommend Permanoobs and Crimmson Daggers as they are very active. I'll PM you this in case you don't see it.

Guess what. More hand studies. And one page of fashion study that took about an hour, also super bad anatonmy. I seriously need to do some imaginary stuff but I always come up with scribbles that aren't anything. Maybe I need to reserve a day just to draw from my head.

Also another video. Yay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLUSM5fQf6s

Last edited by chukho : 01 January 2015 at 12:03 AM.

01 January 2015
No studies today. A few 30 second gesture drawings and sketches. Some old sketches and some from today. Feeling super tired in the afternoons, like I'm going to pass out. I thought eating decently healthy stuff was going to keep me awake better. Just going to try to sleep not late. These sketches are really ugh.

01 January 2015
Wow cgsociety won't let me post more than a certain number of img links. That sucks.

01 January 2015
Oh boy more hands. Pretty much going to draw every single hand from that Bridgman book. And some 30 second gestures. Used the overhand method with the gestures and it became way more enjoyable. The gestures look horrible, but it was fun to do. And a imaginative drawing plus a video, but that's from yesterday so it doesn't count. Overall very little done.

Don't watch this if you value your eyes. You might not be able to see after viewing this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSEnoLVVngs

01 January 2015
Some 30 second and 2 minute gesture drawings. Some hand studies and some from my mind. Started some Burne Hogarth. Did a short color study. All this from Saturday.:( Need to keep going. Also I made a another video, just click the link in my signature. Crimson Daggers forum is down.:( NOOO.

01 January 2015
Some 30 second gestures and two 5 minute gestures. I just want to see if I can get them to look better if I had more time. So far, not really any improvement with more time. I did a still life of what is suppose to be grapefruit I think, in about 2 hours.

reply share thread