Sketchbook Thread of Spirit Dreamer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2006
Wow, very interesting your history hehe. I´d like to know my ancients but...it´s difficult here hehe.

01 January 2006
Wip 011

01 January 2006
I like the interesting "cracks" style you're going through. Some brilliant work starting to pile up in this thread. So many pages to check!

01 January 2006
Wip 011

01 January 2006
Wow Glenn, very cool paintings (page before). The figures fit nicely into their environments

my sketchbook

01 January 2006
ERILAZ // MARTIN...

Glad you enjoyed my thread, and also happy that you liked the cracked look on those
two figures above. They were experiments useing a water color palette knife in PAINTER #9.
Was told by MR MU, That they look like they are made of OBSIDIAN ..may be on to
something new and nice with that experiment and technique. Worth further exploration
and experimentation I think....OBSIDIAN SCULPTURE, done in paint..never been done
before that I know of...Thanks for telling me that you like them, makes me want to make
more.

EL CHEIF // ERICH

Thanks for stopping by...and glad you enjoyed your visit...
Just trying to make paintings combining these different models, that Rebecca has
provided us with...sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it's alway's
fun trying to make it work anyway,..and one idea seems to lead to another.
Anyway, I learn something new from each one, and it's a great way to practice
composition,..color ect.

Take Care
Glenn

01 January 2006
awesome work! i especially love your paintings from the ofdw, and the style of the ones at post#92. how do you blend the colors for the skintone? your paintings look amazing!

01 January 2006
Hi...Lyneran...
On frame #92 above on this page that you liked and mentioned...I used a thin water color palette knife found in water color section PAINTER #9...Went from black to light gray
on figures,..made a background on a separarte layer, and then superimposed figures onto
that layer, in both cases.
In answer to how I blend the colors on my figures...I don't....I try to get colors
that are close in value, and then put them next to each other, useing soft tinting
brush found in tinting section PAINTER #9. If there is an edge that I don't want between
the colors, I use the SOFTENER brush found in the tinting section also. This brush softens
the undesired edges, without destroying the color harmonies I have in place there.
There are a lot of other steps in my painting method after the first steps I just mentioned.
You can follow my painting technique, on the figure I just started...posted right above.
I will be more than happy to answer any questions on each new post of this work in
progress...I will be useing the same painting technique that I used on most of the other
figures and paintings in this thread
Thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words...
Take Care
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 01 January 2006 at 01:33 AM.

01 January 2006
Wip 011

01 January 2006
I really enjoy the light you are capturing in this update. Very well done. The features are starting to come through beautifully.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by Spirit Dreamer: To ..Icey...SaraD ..and anyone else who cares to read this...

Tricks and manipulation have been used since the first artist arived on the scene, and
have been used in every medium that has ever been created.
To exclude them from your bag of tools, or tricks, would be a big mistake in my opinion.
It would simply mean that you are afraid of, or have not taken the time to MASTER, and
become MASTER OF the tools that have become available at this moment in time.
We are as artist, in the business of creating beauty ect. thru illusion, by whatever means
that become avalible to us.
FILTERS and MANIPULATION, ARE JUST ANOTHER SET OF TOOLS OR TRICKS, TO BE ....
MASTERED, AND BECOME MASTER OF ..
The general public, or main audience, do not care, or know if filters and manipulation
were used to creat what they see. All they care about, is wheather they like it or not.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHEATING...That is a restriction imposed upon artist, by
other artist, who have, and always have had the mentality, that is and has always been
....AFRAID OF CHANGE...
If we never took advantage of what has become, and is avalible to us as artist, we would
STILL BE FINGER PAINTING, WITH MUD, ON STONE WALLS...

This is just my opinion on the subject of FILTERS AND MANIPULATION, IN THIS NEW MEDIUM.. ...

Take Care
Glenn

Well said and I totally agree

I sometimes think of myself as the Malcolm X of art... "BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY". We can choose any number of ways to create our work but inevitably, the final image is what is most important. I enjoy working in different styles, with different mediums, using different techniques. Learning new ways, better ways... its what makes creating art exciting. Yes, it is important to learn the basics, but it is equally important to experiment. For me, this is incredibly important. I find it so refreshing when I meet others who feel the same way.

Glenn Ive had a chance to look at your work and you are incredibly talented. Thank you so much for your kind words about my artwork and thank you also for the inspiring words youve written in your posts. - J

Last edited by MechaHateChimp : 01 January 2006 at 12:44 AM.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by Mecha:

I sometimes think of myself as the Malcolm X of art... "BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY".

lmao

01 January 2006
Wip 011

01 January 2006
Thanks...Martin...

Glad you stopped by. I've been enjoying your thread also.
Alot of nice stuff can be done with ink.
Glad you are thinking about experimenting with it..
You just never know what you'll discover, tell you experiment.
Check out the ink work from China..Great masters of that technique ..

THANK YOU VERY MUCH....Mecha Hate CHIMP // Joel ..

BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY...STAY TRUE TO YOUR HEART..WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR ART..

Thank you also, for the GREAT WORDS you just wrote in here...
Some things just need to be said, and repeated ...whenever and as often as necessary..
By ANY..and..WHATEVER..,MEANS POSIBLE...
Thanks ..Joel

MR MU...Thank you for entering this part of my world..

If you are a writer, you just might get some good ideas for a book on this forum
before it's all over and said and done with....LOL!!

Take Care....EVERY=ONE..
Glenn

01 January 2006
Another Doodle -

From the Imagination!

reply share thread