Sketchbook Thread of Spirit Dreamer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2009
0CT. 04, 2009

HEY RAZZ..THANKS.. ...I'll be getting back to that new translucent xray/zray technique posted on the previous page in this sketchbook that you liked and mentioned shortly..Just having too much fun playing around with this one at the moment..
ALWAYS a welcomed and appreceated pleasure to hear from you RAZZ...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PRACTICE
Playing around with some red tints and atmosphere..trying to unify things more with color and air.
Z Brush 3.5

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 10 October 2009 at 06:54 PM.

10 October 2009
OCT. 04, 2009
This is the area that I was most concerned about in getting the red tints to unify the colors of the dragon with the rest of the piece.
Z Brush 3.5
Glenn

10 October 2009
OCT. 05, 2009
Just ZDOODLEING..
Z Brush 3.5
Glenn

10 October 2009
OCT. 06, 2009

MORNING PRACTICE
Experimenting with the new Z Brush 3.5 brushes...fountain designed from a single cube.
Will create and place some more figures in and around the new fountain...Good composition practice method..
From imaination, no references used.
Z Brush 3.5
Glenn

10 October 2009
OCT. 06, 2009
A little more work done on this fountaine piece..Just tossing a couple of ideas for it around..Caturing thoughts/visions..
Z Brush 3.5
Glenn

10 October 2009
OCT. 07, 2009
MORNING PRACTICE ...Five figure composition, flow, rhythm, ballance study.
Z Brush 3.5
Glenn

10 October 2009
OCT. 07, 2009

Some ...GREAT words that I stumbled upon while browsing over at Z Brush Central
Posted by a Z Brush Central member called ..Prosthesis

I just put them in my sketchbook, so I would always know where they are at, and will always be able to find them when needed..as in the never ending debate between the pros and cons of digital versus traditional.

Regarding Digital Art.

"So let me get this straight. I no longer need to watch paint dry. No more toxic chemicals or ruined clothing by a rogue globule of Alizarin Crimson? Nor be punished for experimentation by ruining my work? I can take forms and colors and patterns and rearrange them at will upon my canvas. Easily upload and have my work seen by a vast global audience? BASICALLY, I can take what ever I can imagine and make it manifest?"

"Yes, but you'll be shunned by the "Artistic World"

"Cool, Where do I sign?"

10 October 2009
LoL that made me laugh!

But whoever wrote this is making a good point!
I recently saw a documentary on contemporary art, how that whole business (that's what it is) is run by a couple of billionaires who determine the prices for contemporary art in order to make profit from it, and what the economic crisis meant for it. It nearly made me puke. What do these billionaires think? They can determine for us what is good art and what isn't?
NOT!

10 October 2009
Both your observations are worth learning - regarding digital media and art market. It's sad but in our world inevitable that even what is "good art" is guided by business. With internet we got a chance to get to people without the market, but even here there are trends set by people who make the biggest money on the market.

A question from 3D nooob Regarding the shiny knight on a horse. Are the reflections on the figures mirrored by the program basing in their shape or you have to state in every place what should be mirrored?
ZBrush seems to be fun looking at your thread, I need to try it one dayy.

Last edited by sirielle : 10 October 2009 at 10:12 AM.

10 October 2009
OCT. 08, 2009

Johan...Sirielle

I don't want to get into the politics of MONEY and ART.Lets just say that YES, the MEDICI is still alive and well,..and is also still calling all of the shots in the world of the artist, and art,.. and that the art and the artist,..for better or for worse is still captive to their every whim...along with the general public which they rule, for better, or for worse...Some things never change,the nature of POWER being one of those things...

Hi Serielle...about the question you asked...That shinyness is a standard material in Z Brush..I just push it around with a couple of the Z Brush brushes.....the smear and bump brushes....You should deffenitly try the Z Brush program out..AMAZING program...You can get a free trial version for thirty days, and can also renew the trial version a few times, for free...
THANKS for the feedback and visit guys...Much appreceated, and always welcomed...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

MORNING PRACTICE
Started a new Zsphere sketch figure.
From imagination, no references used
Z Brush 3.5

10 October 2009
Quote: "Yes, but you'll be shunned by the "Artistic World"

I would like to add, though, that as far as I know from a few articles on digital art in todays art business, this behaviour is part of the past already.

Digital art and digital artists have long since begun to invade galleries and museums. Techniques range from complete-from-scratch creation of images to alienating carefully taken photographs (printed on very high quality paper with special technology or even exposed in the classical style).

Also, to be able to still sell "originals" some artists work on the canvas they printed their art on, with bleachers or textural materials.

The excerpt you quoted is, I would guess, not true anymore for the professional/business world where it rather has become one world of art regardless of where it came from.

My guess is that it's rather the purist amateurs who would claim everything digital to be of minor quality.

10 October 2009
Mr MU...It seems to me that from the begginning the people in this forum were expressly encouraged to go the traditional route, due to the fact that art schools won't accept digital portfolios for students wanting to pursue an art career, with the exception of a small handfull of progressive thinking art schools.
So does this fact mean that the majority of art schools are run and controlled by amateurs, which would seem to be the case according to your last statement posted above, or is it that they are just trying to hang on to ther positions of knowing traditional, and not knowing digital....Most likely the latter I would guess.
In ether case, I think it is good to be good at both digital and traditional, and that one should not exclude the other, especally in art schools and the systems that control and run them..Denying the future has always been the downfall of any system...Well intended or not.denial is still denial, no matter how well it is justified, and should never be encouraged by condoning it .
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 10 October 2009 at 09:51 PM.

10 October 2009
Quote: the majority of art schools are run and controlled by amateurs

You're on to something, there...

But seriously, though, I never realized that art schools deny digital art in their portfolios. It might depend on the course/degree you are aiming at. I mean, classical illustration courses, animation schools... this kind of stuff. Do they require you to ban digital art from your portfolios?

That would be really... well, just ignorant, really.

When it comes to learning, though, I must say that I felt my conception of drawing principles really only set in with the classical pencil/paper tools. I don't know - it might be a tactile thing. In german we have a word for a thorough form of understanding (begreifen) and the root of this word describes the act of reaching out and taking something into the palm of your hand.

I never got to this level of understanding with the stylus and the screen. But I surely loved to apply what I learned again in the digital world.

I also find mixing media really exciting (in photography for example, you can edit a negative digitally, print it on a transparency and use that one for exposing classical photo paper...)

But, you know... my latest musical plan is to cover a baroque composer (Silvius Leopold Weiss, a german 17th century lute player) and play those songs with a resonator blues guitar to show the parallels between him and John Lee Hooker!

Because I totally feel those parallels! I had a friend (not theoretically music savvy) listen to a few of my favourites by him (Silvius) and at one point she said: "Wow, he's got the blues!" - which really encouraged me.

After all - what is tradition now once was revolutionary, too! When oil colours superceded egg tempera, e.g.

Maybe, my daughter will laugh at such a clumsy tool like my pen/tablet combination when she is 35...
And, of course, pencils will still be around, then.

Ah. The joy of debating tools...

10 October 2009
OCT. 09, 2009

HEY MR MU, You posted and took my words and their meaning out of context..shame on you...LOL.. By leaving out the beginning and end of that statement, you changed the whole meaning of what was said, and meant..
You will have to refer to Rebecca for more info about the no digital in the portfolio thing, I remember her telling students wanting to get into schools that they would have to have a traditional portfolio to do so...which is what sparked the debate of traditional v. digital to begin with, if I remember correctly.
By the time your daughter is 35, artist will probably have finger implants that will take the place of the pressure sensitive pens now available along with a holigraphic computer, and of couse phone implants to take the place of the keyboad...LOL.. Hopefully, I will be dead by then, and none of this conversation will matter..
TAKE CARE MR MU, ALWAYS fun exchanging words and thoughts with you..
Glenn

MORNING PRACTICE
ZSPHERE SKETCH
Z Brush 3.5

10 October 2009
OCT. 09, 2009

MORNING PRACTICE
Testing to see how this Z Brush Xray/Zray technique looks when doing a multi action sequence figure..Starting out by showing a simple movement in the figure.
Maybe next, a running sequence...Great exercise to study the figure in motion, and the movements within the figure that create an action, such as running ect.
Z Brush 3.5
Glenn

reply share thread