Lytro light field camera coming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #46
Hi guys. Has anyone of you bought this camera? It looks really good.

Old 10 October 2012   #47
It will be great when it can also shot HDRI images also.

Remember the good old days when you had to load your film in the dark.
Learn how to judge your exposure by the avaible light, manualy set the shutter speed, f-stop,
Focus, rember correctly what ASA you loaded. Try to figure out in your head what settings are going to give you the best exposure latitude and how much dodging and burning you may have to do when you print it. Then you have to process the film yourself in pitch black room, threading the film onto a spool hoping you didn't crease the film. Manualy print it, run density test strips etc. print a contact strip. Then hang it it up to dry. And all that has to be done before you even know if you got a good shot or not. So it might be a day or two before you find out if your picture was in focus and exposed correctly.
And no one wants to have lunch with you becuse you smell like hypo fluid.

Yeah, innovation sucks.

Old 10 October 2012   #48
Originally Posted by Michael32766: Learn how to judge your exposure by the avaible light, manualy set the shutter speed, f-stop,
Focus

I'm not really sure why you appear to think photographers no longer need to do this...

Old 10 October 2012   #49
Sorry Sarcasm does not translate well.
Yes most Photographers do need to do all this and think about what they are shooting.
Especially of they are doing film and even some extent digital.
But for most people it's point and click now and they still get a good photo and get the feedback instantly.
I just wanted to point out how far camera technology has come in the past 20 years.
The stuff we can do now I could only dream about 20 years ago.
Taking a good photograph is about capturing a moment.
Technology like HDRI and Light field tech will allow us to capture things maybe not seen before.
I was a professional photographer and spent several years with at least 2 cameras around my neck. I had one shot once that I wanted to capture the faces of two peoples reaction to the same event. But I couldn't focus on both subjects with a long lens.
Tech like the Light Field system would have allowed me to get it.
So believe me I mean no disrespect to Photographers.

Old 10 October 2012   #50
I think that Lytro has a big future. Especially if they can miniaturize it for use in Smartphones, pocket cameras and devices like cheap harddisk camcorders.

Its really hard to get a good artistic result with these, because they don't have a manual focus ring built in.

Lytro could give you a "virtual focus ring" that also works after you have shot the image/footage.

I think this is going to be one hell of a popular product as soon as its available, and the price comes down.

Last edited by DePaint : 10 October 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #51
Originally Posted by Michael32766: Sorry Sarcasm does not translate well.
Yes most Photographers do need to do all this and think about what they are shooting.
Especially of they are doing film and even some extent digital.
But for most people it's point and click now and they still get a good photo and get the feedback instantly.
I just wanted to point out how far camera technology has come in the past 20 years.
The stuff we can do now I could only dream about 20 years ago.
Taking a good photograph is about capturing a moment.
Technology like HDRI and Light field tech will allow us to capture things maybe not seen before.
I was a professional photographer and spent several years with at least 2 cameras around my neck. I had one shot once that I wanted to capture the faces of two peoples reaction to the same event. But I couldn't focus on both subjects with a long lens.
Tech like the Light Field system would have allowed me to get it.
So believe me I mean no disrespect to Photographers.

Oh I didn't interpret your post as disrespectful at all, I just found it odd! But now it makes sense. I'm a keen photographer myself and also find Lytro and other tech really fascinating although, maybe I'm a bit stubborn, but I enjoy my DSLR so much that I can't really see myself switching anytime soon.

Old 10 October 2012   #52
My buddy works for Lytro now so I've seen a good number of his shots. Really cool tech, seems more like another tool in the toolbox versus a replacement to me.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10 October 2012   #53
Resolution is still quite low, but very exciting to see research final coming into action.

Old 10 October 2012   #54
Everything I've seen about this camera indicate it's extremely first-gen, and it's so lacking in features, resolution, and even controls that it is basically just a novelty right now.

I'm not holding my breath until a "pro" version comes out, but I do hope they have something in the works, because the first round was pretty disappointing, at least for me.

I know they want to hold all the cards, but still seems like the best bet would be licensing the tech and letting other camera makers take a shot at it.

Old 10 October 2012   #55
Originally Posted by vlad74: Hi guys. Has anyone of you bought this camera? It looks really good.

I would buy one, but it's too expensive right now. Although it looks fun, it's unproven tech.
If they sold it at $200 and had some kind of web upload capacity then maybe...

Old 10 October 2012   #56
Looks like interesting gadget. And probably it will open new creativity for photogs. Only problem I have with the pictures is the apparent steps in the focus. It is a bit worrying sign that for certain pics there is only 2 alternative focus points. As if I would take 2 pictures focused on 2 planes and then had software for blending in between. So it smells fishy to me. Maybe its all cool stuff etc. But this focus steps is bothering a bit. Maybe I am just missing something obvious for searching for true focus range in between the forefront and background.

Old 10 October 2012   #57
Why would you need a manual focus on this camera? Isn't the point that you can refocus it all you want later? I have a Canon 60d with some nice glass and do some photography but would def consider getting this for easy travel only one question maybe you know the answer to:

How is the low light performance of this thing- it is 400 bucks- I don't see a flash on it- am i missing something?

Old 10 October 2012   #58
Originally Posted by CKPinson: Why would you need a manual focus on this camera? Isn't the point that you can refocus it all you want later? I have a Canon 60d with some nice glass and do some photography but would def consider getting this for easy travel only one question maybe you know the answer to:

How is the low light performance of this thing- it is 400 bucks- I don't see a flash on it- am i missing something?

Here's a couple of reviews..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/lytro-camera-review/

Really just seems more a proof of concept than anything right now..the focusing trick doesn't make up for the lack of performance and lack of output quality yet by a long shot, IMO.

Old 10 October 2012   #59
Originally Posted by hypercube: Really just seems more a proof of concept than anything right now..the focusing trick doesn't make up for the lack of performance and lack of output quality yet by a long shot, IMO.

This stuff takes time to mature. The first digital camera I tried was 640 x 480 pixels with pretty poor definition. 10 years later, there are digital cameras that take razorsharp images with great colour & contrast.

With Lytro, the 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation will probably get everything right.

Old 10 October 2012   #60
Originally Posted by DePaint: This stuff takes time to mature. The first digital camera I tried was 640 x 480 pixels with pretty poor definition. 10 years later, there are digital cameras that take razorsharp images with great colour & contrast.

With Lytro, the 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation will probably get everything right.

Yup..and I am looking forward to it..but I am definitely hanging way back until they get there.

Thread Closed share thread