Lytro light field camera coming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2011   #1
Lytro light field camera coming

I seem to remember some discussion on refocusable photographs a while back but this may have just been theory. It now looks like cameras for taking these may be available this year.

Lytro light field camera

They look pretty amazing - fingers crossed they are affordable.

Old 07 July 2011   #2
A good photographer plans his focus.

Old 07 July 2011   #3
Originally Posted by mister3d: A good photographer plans his focus.

Is that before or after the shot is taken?

But then I should have anticipated the 'This [insert product] takes all the skill out of [insert occupation] argument'.

That aside, they would be great for more 'utilitarian' photographs, such as for reference or textures.

Old 07 July 2011   #4
The 3D view extraction and even possibility of getting a depth map from a single exposure are extremely interesting as well, and I think some people are researching doing HDR with multiple exposure values across the lenses in a single capture too.

So, far from a "lazy photographer" use, I think it's going to be a very cool way to capture images and will have a ton of applications and tricks in the future.

Old 07 July 2011   #5
Originally Posted by Ordibble-Plop: Is that before or after the shot is taken?

But then I should have anticipated the 'This [insert product] takes all the skill out of [insert occupation] argument'.

That aside, they would be great for more 'utilitarian' photographs, such as for reference or textures.

I'm not saying it takes out the skill, but rather it's unnecessary, especially since it's expensive. Yeah, maybe for what you say, but texturing is usually done with less perspective for obvious reasons. Maybe some other kinds of photographs would benefit.

Old 07 July 2011   #6
The photographers at my work were all up in arms about this. I think its prety cool technology. I probebly won't drop my $3000 canon gear to pick this camera up, but I am curious what this will do to the photography buisness.

Old 07 July 2011   #7
Originally Posted by mister3d: I'm not saying it takes out the skill, but rather it's unnecessary, especially since it's expensive. Yeah, maybe for what you say, but texturing is usually done with less perspective for obvious reasons. Maybe some other kinds of photographs would benefit.

Are you kidding? Of course it would be beneficial. Do I have to spell out the benefits of not ever having to worry about focus? Even professional photographers have problems where the perfect shot isn't quite in focus, especially with moving subjects.

Old 07 July 2011   #8
When rendering in 3d now, we can save multiple channels.
Zdepth, object id, material id's, height, etc...
A camera can still measure depth, thus saving a zdepth channel. (ipisoft, Brekel)

The camera for the Xbox,..... using the Kinect...... measures zdepth based upon the original founders of ZCam. (Microsoft bought them for the Kinect) .
Zdepth measures the distance from your camera...

Sooooo,.. all of this is the same with this camera setup. It measures zdepth which is awesome, so in post you can focus your bad images later on. (and with post filters,. blur, dof,.. you can edit later)
The amazing part of this is that you can autofocus back and forth on footage later on... wow

It was just a matter of seconds these days, when a developer realizes the potential of that tech.

john

Last edited by refract : 07 July 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Old 07 July 2011   #9
It's not actually doing any kind of depth pass or zcam type stuff, it's using a lens array to capture the scene, it's a totally different kind of trick.

This old demo explains it a little better I think, and also some of the interesting other potential abilities. The focal point changing isn't just for focus either, you can actually change the FOV of the lens a bit, too. It's just a really different way of getting an image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7yx31yslM

The other stuff starts about 43s in, after the usual focus depth stuff.

Old 07 July 2011   #10
The array of lens... now imagine the price of it. Then the photo will weigh 10 gigs.

Old 07 July 2011   #11
No such thing as a free lunch. Look at how much room RAW and HDR take up..HD prices and horsepower will continue to advance, may as well make use of it.

Another possible use with moving footage as well, imagine having all that extra data to use for visual effects..even without using 3d extraction, you could track, roto, and composite everything cleanly, then throw the focal point and depth of field in at the end, planned or not.

Also they are talking about this stuff on a consumer level, so it definitely won't be some insane cumbersome thing that you need a team in lab coats for.

Old 07 July 2011   #12
This looks great! This is like doing z-depth blur in compositing phase in real life! Why wouldn't you want that?! You can stay on your high horses since "real" photographers capture the focus in the moment but I would love this type of flexibility.

You should tell lighters that they shouldn't use z-depth passes and always render DoF straight from renderer....

Old 07 July 2011   #13
No more keying I guess.

Old 07 July 2011   #14
The only downside I can see to this tech is that more and more manufacturers will stop bothering to include a manual focus-ring in their photo or video products.

This is already happening with low-cost HDD Video Cameras. They are great little cameras with plenty of storage space and battery life, but - oops - no focus-ring provided whatsoever... = crappy autofocus shooting only.

Old 07 July 2011   #15
There has been an article in a magazin some times ago about the invention, the journo praising the thing as the next day future of photography.

Did just quickly run through now the dissertation of the inventor, more by studying his illustrations. I guess the weak point of the system will be the additional micro lenses behind the traditional lens. How will they get those little things ground and polished precisely when even larger lenses are difficult to fabricate in good quality?

So it probably stays a gimmick for a while for those who have to buy everything new on the market, making them believe the importance of changing the DOF at editing, instead of thinking a bit before pressing the release button. Perhaps medicin could be an application area, a new toy for sergeons, but i hardly believe in a chance in professional photography, where the option might be useful sometimes but quality has far more relevance.

Thread Closed share thread