Your Own IP?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #61
Excellent Alexander - that's certainly no small feat!
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Adventure games have simply evolved and hybridized with other genres like action, RPG, FPS, platformers...etc. The point and click mechanic is just too boring and no longer visceral enough compared to the game mechanics today, but the "spirit" of adventuring, puzzles, dialogue trees, varied environments...etc have all found their way into other genres of games.
I know what you're getting at & I agree that the spirit of adventure games has found itself in other genres but I certainly don't agree that the fault lies with the point & click mechanic being 'too boring'. Saying they're not 'visceral' enough misses the point, if that were the case then there wouldn't be a market for puzzle games.

Granted, the console market seems like an ill fit for point & click, but consoles like the 3DS/DS, the new PS Vita & devices like the iPad are practically built for that experience. Games like Machinarium & the more recent Monkey Island updates show that the genre still has legs. My point was that it would take a considerable investment to match the production & grandeur of the classics.

Old 06 June 2011   #62
Really interesting thread, will have to read it properly over the weekend.

Pyke, love the work on 'Stasis', nice perspective too.. makes a change from all the first-person persp, reminds a bit of Syndicate from back in the day... would be cool to have some kind of team-work element or controlling drones!...

Just wanted to ask if you could provide any more info on creating the game, I read the blog but just want to know what programs you're using, work in progress on assets, level design etc, though understand if you don't wish to show all of that yet.

Old 06 June 2011   #63
Originally Posted by AJ: Excellent Alexander - that's certainly no small feat!

Thanks buddy. I like your apple too, hahah!
Pyke definitely is the king here with his game, looks supercool! I can only say i totally admire the level of design and graphics!

Old 06 June 2011   #64
Quote: The point and click mechanic is just too boring and no longer visceral enough compared to the game mechanics today, but the "spirit" of adventuring, puzzles, dialogue trees, varied environments...etc have all found their way into other genres of games. Even a game like Heavy Rain has a strong adventure game vibe to it.

I couldn't disagree more. In the last few years, such games have experienced a healthy rebirth with a number of very successful titles, quite often made by small teams. Granted they rarely compete with AAA games but they do have a healthy audience and will continue to thrive. It really is like comparing a book to a film, granted one is less visually stimulating than the other, but like Roberto said earlier; a good story is a good story regardless, and the point and click genre is a great platform for developing a good story and one that feel far more intimate. But i guess there will always be those who can't see past the Halos of today

Dave

Last edited by everlite : 06 June 2011 at 01:00 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #65
Quote: You know Robert it might be cool to have a contest for best IP and then CGtalk put support behind it. You know the Blender groups, Animation master groups and various other groups have created some shorts. Why not get the community behind a certain project to be determined by the forum. That would be kind of cool. Folks can contribute a model, animation and other. I wonder how quickly a movie could be made then? Just a thought.

The problem with a collaborative IP is, who owns what? For all the crap that Lucas gets, he does protect his IP, although usually to its detriment. I find however that the CGTalk challenges really push me to actually MAKE something. Its a defined theme, in a defined timeline-which is something that I find as an artist I need. Even with my personal works I have set deadlines that I have to meet.

I really like Lunatiques idea to have the CGSociety provide a voice for IP development. I would love to have a Ballistic book called 'UNIVERSES' or something, where a page or 2 is devoted to the universe an artist has created. Just to get the names out there would be incredible.

Now onto the discussion about the adventure genre! And something I sincerely hope you are incorrect about!
I see the Adventure Game as still alive and kicking! It just so happens that its quite a bit smaller than it used to be. I really do think, with the iPAD becoming a force to be reckoned with in the gaming market, AG's will relaly pick up.
The developers tend to be the die hards tho. It really is the one genre that almost exclusively focuses on story-something that easily get glossed over in other genre's-or if not glossed over, gets pushed to the side.
STASIS is a pure adventure game. It uses a SCAN, MOVE, USE interface, and is HEAVILY focused on story. The protagonist isnt an avatar for the player, but rather a living, breathing character-with past demons, fears, loves, hates. I couldnt tell you what Isaac Clarkes phobias are from playing DeadSpace, but once the player is finished STASIS, you will know Marachecks. fears, regrets, hopes...
Its a genre that really lets you connect with a virtual character-something that other gaming genres lack.

mister3d

Those are beautiful shots there! Whats the story about?

Gooner442
You dont control a drone, but you do remotely access a surgical robot if that counts? ;D

Ill do a nice writeup for the blog on all of the technologies behind the game, but here is a quick rundown.

Engine, Visionaire (the link is on the first page of this thread)
Graphics, 3DSMAX
Post work, Paintshop Pro
Sound, Audacity
Music, FL Studio.

Everything I've learned about the scripting and stuff Ive taught myself since December-and if I can learn it anyone can!

Old 06 June 2011   #66
Originally Posted by Pyke: Those are beautiful shots there! Whats the story about?

It's going to be an action movie. An old retired marine is on pension, and his main friend is his cat. One day the old boss decides using him to get rid of laboratory in New Orleans, making bombs, to hide his little secret about this business, using the state of flood and so on. He takes the cat as a hostage. There are characters: the hero himself, the cat, the boss, the military bad guy, a beautiful girl, a professor, and several bums. When I make the characters, I will post in the collab forum to hear opinions.

Last edited by mister3d : 06 June 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #67
Pyke, I'll look forward to the write-up!.. anything you can post up on your blog would be interesting, do you use any other WIP threads for showing your creation process?...

I agree about the Ipad, it would really suit a game of this type, sitting on a train working out puzzles on this game... yeh I could imagine that, the game market is flooded with intense first-person shooters which I don't think will transfer well to something like an Ipad, there's defintly space for adventures and RPG's

Old 06 June 2011   #68
Quote: The problem with a collaborative IP is, who owns what? For all the crap that Lucas gets, he does protect his IP, although usually to its detriment. I find however that the CGTalk challenges really push me to actually MAKE something. Its a defined theme, in a defined timeline-which is something that I find as an artist I need. Even with my personal works I have set deadlines that I have to meet. I really like Lunatiques idea to have the CGSociety provide a voice for IP development. I would love to have a Ballistic book called 'UNIVERSES' or something, where a page or 2 is devoted to the universe an artist has created. Just to get the names out there would be incredible.

The original creator would own character rights to the IP. But keep it simple and written. Just like a real collab.

I think at best CGtalk would be cool if they found a project in the collab section and maybe highlighted one a month.

Old 06 June 2011   #69
Originally Posted by Pyke: I really like Lunatiques idea to have the CGSociety provide a voice for IP development. I would love to have a Ballistic book called 'UNIVERSES' or something, where a page or 2 is devoted to the universe an artist has created. Just to get the names out there would be incredible.

That's an excellent idea. In the meantime, I would really like to see some front-page love for independent projects. A lot of the CGS front page is about big studios with millions of dollars to throw at projects, it would be nice to have a section dedicated to the "little guy" who could really benefit from the exposure. Perhaps just a new section that would showcase works in progress or recently released projects. Doesn't have to be fancy, just a thumbnail that links to the project's website.

Old 06 June 2011   #70
Originally Posted by Lunatique: A few months ago I had written CGSociety's CEO a long email about how CGSociety should create a platform for IP development, so we have a dedicated media platform for various IP's to shine and build an audience, instead of floating out there on their own without the backing of an established community. We can have animated series, online comics, indie game episodes, collaborative projects...etc. We can also publish "The Art of" books, behind the scenes DVD's, as well as sell merchandise like toys and stationary. It'll be a mutually beneficial arrangement because CGS will take all the commercialization headaches out of the process and take over that aspect, while the creators simply focus on creating content, which in turn will generate additional traffic for CGS, which could translate into more advertising revenue. The creators also don't have to compete against camwhore chicks, crass college humor, and celebrity videos at portals like youtube in order to get attention--the portal CGS provides will already have a built-in audience. In a way, it's sort of like what Penny Arcade TV is doing, but it'll be even more diversified.

I have no idea if my idea will be taken seriously. I'm curious what you guys think about this arrangement.

Well I think this is an incredible idea.
You got my vote.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2011   #71
Roberto, as one of the more prominent members of the Forum, you have the ears of the 'powers that be'. What would we need to put together to make something like this a reality?
To take this further than just talk in a thread, and move it towards something concrete?

I would happily contribute my time, and any skills I have to a project like this-as well as any assets I have from STASIS as a testing ground. Im sure you will find many other members here who would DEFINITELY want to get involved!

Last edited by Pyke : 06 June 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #72
This idea of a home for IPs incredibly interesting!

Old 06 June 2011   #73
Originally Posted by Pyke: Roberto, as one of the more prominent members of the Forum, you have the ears of the 'powers that be'. What would we need to put together to make something like this a reality?
To take this further than just talk in a thread, and move it towards something concrete?

I would happily contribute my time, and any skills I have to a project like this-as well as any assets I have from STASIS as a testing ground. Im sure you will find many other members here who would DEFINITELY want to get involved!

My friend you give me way more credit that I deserve.
Thank, you humble me.
Anyway, I will seek out the guys of ballistic in Vancouver, and tell them about your ideas.

One thing I do want to do is to start consolidating resources for people interested in developing IP. Let me think about it for a bit.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2011   #74
We're working on an IP at the place I work, so I'm not sure if it's ok to talk about it in this thread since it isn't exactly personal. It's pretty independent though, as the studio is really really small. We made a shortfilm with the idea, it's about 2 years old now and I already posted it in the animation section of the forums. So just not to raise any suspicion that I'm trying to promote anything here, I'll keep it there.

I'm working on my own short film, I have a complete animatic already but still working on it. I'm in that moment where I need to add things so people can perfectly understand what I'm trying to say without being too obvious and boring. This characters are pretty human, and the story is kinda little. I wanted to poetically tackle the issue of work vs passion, about working to keep up with things we don't need, versus working on what makes us happy, and where you might mistake one path from another.

I'm not sure there's a whole world in there, is not intended that way though, so it might be just a short film, I wish the character design or the artistic merits makes me want to come back to this people and see if they're interesting enough to keep bringing them to my work.

I love the idea about IP support or special place here in cgtalk. I also offer my free time to help with whatever is is possible to add something.

Old 06 June 2011   #75
Originally Posted by everlite: I couldn't disagree more. In the last few years, such games have experienced a healthy rebirth with a number of very successful titles, quite often made by small teams. Granted they rarely compete with AAA games but they do have a healthy audience and will continue to thrive. It really is like comparing a book to a film, granted one is less visually stimulating than the other, but like Roberto said earlier; a good story is a good story regardless, and the point and click genre is a great platform for developing a good story and one that feel far more intimate. But i guess there will always be those who can't see past the Halos of today

Dave

You're preaching to the choir. One of my favorite games of all time is The Longest Journey, a point and click adventure game.

What I was talking about is how the mass public views the point and click mechanic. Companies that want to make a lot of money will focus on what the mainstream gamer wants, not the niche. If point and click was capable of being more than just niche, than it would still be one of the most prominent genres today, able to compete with FPS, RPG's, RTS's, racing, puzzle...etc.

Personally for me, it was never really the mechanic that made adventure games so awesome--it was always the storytelling. So in a way, I really don't care what the mechanic is as long as the storytelling is engrossing. Dreamfall's mechanic was objectively more engaging than The Longest Journey IMO, although I preferred the story of TLJ more. If they had their mechanics swapped, I'd still feel the same way I think.

Originally Posted by Pyke: Roberto, as one of the more prominent members of the Forum, you have the ears of the 'powers that be'. What would we need to put together to make something like this a reality?

Like Roberto said, that's not how things are behind the scenes of CGSociety. How lively a FL is in the forums has nothing to do with whether the people in charge listen to him. No correlation whatsoever. Remember, at the end of the day, CGS is still a company that needs to make a profit, and the bottom line is what makes decisions.

I personally already volunteered to help CGS make this IP development platform happen. I laid out the entire business model, the challenges we'll face, our possible resources, different types of contracts/agreements with creators...etc. It was a loooong email. Now it's just up to the big wig. The ball's in his court.

I don't know what else you guys can do to swing things in the favor of the idea. I'll tell you right now that I predict the only real reason my idea will be shot down is if CGS deems it to be too low in ROI. If you guys can crunch some numbers and fully detail exactly how much investment CGS needs to make in terms of tech, money, time, and exactly what kind of profit we could be looking at, then perhaps solid data would be a lot more persuasive.

Thread Closed share thread