Alt Animation podcast

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
Alt Animation podcast

Hi Guys,

I just started doing a podcast called Alt Animation were I talk about the animation industry thats on the fringe and not focus so much on the big guys like Pixar and Dreamworks.
In the first one we discuss stuff like outsourcing, animator animal abusing, and some other very alternative topics.
http://altanimation.podomatic.com/
Please listen and if you like it subscribe on itunes. Its totally free and it would be awesome to get this communities feedback on it.

Next podcast we will focus on women in animation and interview some female animators.

http://altanimation.podomatic.com/e...T05_20_14-07_00

Last edited by JoshKirk : 07 July 2011 at 01:18 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #2
Oh I was going to ask if anyone has any good opinions or thoughts on women in animation I would love to discuss them on the next podcast.

Old 06 June 2011   #3
Originally Posted by JoshKirk: Next podcast we will focus on women in animation and interview some female animators.

This is actually funny considering that many years ago I wrote an article about female artists in the industry, while now I actually find the singling out of women in our field unnecessary and possibly even harmful.

We're already in a minority. Singling us out and focusing on us actually makes many of us feel uncomfortable - we're just part of the crew like everyone else, there's no need to draw gender lines anywhere. As I've gotten older, I've begun to find society's obsession with gender really disturbing because it actually, ironically, contributes towards gender inequality. When you say "female animators", you're insinuating that there's something different about them, even though you're not necessarily doing it in a malicious or negative fashion. But it has the effect of deepening a divide that really doesn't need to be there in the first place. Interview people because their work is good, instead of making your decision based on the fact that they have vaginas.

Just my headachey thoughts at the end of an annoying afternoon.

Old 06 June 2011   #4
"When you say "female animators", you're insinuating that there's something different about them, even though you're not necessarily doing it in a malicious or negative fashion. But it has the effect of deepening a divide that really doesn't need to be there in the first place. Interview people because their work is good, instead of making your decision based on the fact that they have vaginas."

This is the exact thing we talk about in the interview! Would it be alright if I quoted you in the podcast? Or are you posting this to say you dont approve of the topic? Either way very interesting stuff and I hope this is the exact kind of discussion this podcast will start. Thanks for the comment!
BTW do you have a link to the article you wrote? I would love to read it

Last edited by JoshKirk : 06 June 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #5
http://altanimation.podomatic.com
Episode two is up, hope its ok if I used your comment Leigh, it was with the best intentions!

Keep a look out for the next episode!

Old 07 July 2011   #6
Episode 3 is up!
We interview some Portuguese animators, talk about nuclear animation, cartoon brew vs animation magazine, and more!
altanimation.podomatic.com

Next podcast we interview the director of Meet Buck!

Old 07 July 2011   #7
New episode up! We interview Denis Bouyer, director of Meet Buck. We talk about teams and what makes them successful and also talk about augmented reality tattoos, Natas Kaupas, and much more!
http://altanimation.podomatic.com/e...T05_20_14-07_00

Here is the facebook page for show notes
http://www.facebook.com/altanimation

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions!

Last edited by JoshKirk : 07 July 2011 at 01:19 AM.

Old 08 August 2011   #8
New episode is up where we interview Mike Roush, animator at Titmouse who has worked on shows like Superjail and Venture Bros! Check it out! This guy is the coolest.

and the facebook page to "like" is here
http://facebook.com/altanimation

Old 08 August 2011   #9
cool! been looking for an alternative to the fxguide podcasts! Downloading your first one now!

Old 08 August 2011   #10
Sounds interesting. Thank you for your efforts.

Old 08 August 2011   #11
thanks guys!
Ill have to check out that fxguide podcast myself...

Old 08 August 2011   #12
New episode up!

We talk about record breaking stop motion, Nail-a-mation, Charicature and Facial recognition, a Siggraph recap from our Siggraph Correspondant Shane Davis, and an interview with Michael Cawood (starts at 42:40) from the awesome project "Devils, Angels, and Dating". This one is a good one even though it is a little long!

Tell us what you guys like/don't like about the podcast on our face book page or email us at altanimation@gmail.com

And thank you guys so much for listening we have been getting some good numbers lately. Its always nice to know people are enjoying the extra work we put in!

Old 09 September 2011   #13
New episode is up!
www.facebook.com/altanimation
This time we interview Jamil Lahham, senior animator from Moonbot studios, who worked on Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. We also do an interview about Liquid Projections. Other topics covered include embroidered animation, open letter to Andy Serkis, Animopus, Reference! Reference!, and Network Awesome.

Old 09 September 2011   #14
Originally Posted by leigh: This is actually funny considering that many years ago I wrote an article about female artists in the industry, while now I actually find the singling out of women in our field unnecessary and possibly even harmful.

We're already in a minority. Singling us out and focusing on us actually makes many of us feel uncomfortable - we're just part of the crew like everyone else, there's no need to draw gender lines anywhere. As I've gotten older, I've begun to find society's obsession with gender really disturbing because it actually, ironically, contributes towards gender inequality. When you say "female animators", you're insinuating that there's something different about them, even though you're not necessarily doing it in a malicious or negative fashion. But it has the effect of deepening a divide that really doesn't need to be there in the first place. Interview people because their work is good, instead of making your decision based on the fact that they have vaginas.

Just my headachey thoughts at the end of an annoying afternoon.

this made my day

Old 09 September 2011   #15
Ok new episode with author Ed Hooks is up, check it out!
There are some really good topics discussed including the questions "Are Animators really Actors?"
Listen and find out!

Thread Closed share thread