Game of Thrones - Official Thread (no book spoilers)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2011   #31
Well the Lannisters are all blonde in the book, and the Targaryen brother and sister in the south are platinum blonde, almost white. At least we dont see the wig net like in japanese period drama!!

From memory, some stuff I didnt like;

- King Robert actor does not convey the impression that he was ever strong at all.
- They should have at least put some color lenses to Tyrion eyes. (in the book, both eyes are not same colors. If marylin Manson can do it, so do Peter Dinklage)
- Sansa Stark look like a men eating bitch, not a dreamy romantic girl. I guess They add to take an older girl because she will have some NSFW shooting to do. But they could have skip that... its only one scene after all.
- The finding of the direwolves scene was a bit too "indoor studio" for my taste.
- I was not sure about Catelyn Stark at first, but she look like a good actress. I'll get use to it.

What I like;

- Arya Stark. Maisie Williams is perfect!!
- Bran too
- Theon Greyjoy look just like the prick he is.
- Prince Joffrey, wouaaah where they found that one? He creep me out!
- Charles Dance casting as Tywin Lannister is a marvellous choice, cant wait to see him!
- Ser Jorah Mormont look nice too.
- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister is really nice. Loved him in The Station Agent.

What I want? The 3 eyed crow. Nice big realistic direwolves, hopefully shooted using the near/far technique. No CG wolves pleeeaaaase!

Old 04 April 2011   #32
Kinda off topic: I never watch TV shows. Well , exept very old stuff - Absolutly Fabulous, Inspector Morse, The Sweeney - but recently I watched Walking Dead and now Game of Thrones and I like it a lot. Any other series that are worth not missing? One friend recommanded Dexter to me. Anything else? Rome?

Old 04 April 2011   #33
seen the first episode and it was amazingly done! Great to see a strong cast and fantastic effects. Game of Thrones is one of my fav books and seeing it in the flesh is great.

Sketchbook

Old 04 April 2011   #34
Originally Posted by earwax69: Kinda off topic: I never watch TV shows. Well , exept very old stuff - Absolutly Fabulous, Inspector Morse, The Sweeney - but recently I watched Walking Dead and now Game of Thrones and I like it a lot. Any other series that are worth not missing? One friend recommanded Dexter to me. Anything else? Rome?

I've not seen Dexter yet but have seen Rome (one of my favorites)....HBO have an amazing track record that has just been somewhat incredible...they're masters at structure and pacing.....not to mention the detail they put into the sets which has always had me with my jaw on the floor.....Deadwood was another great HBO TV show...and also Carnivāle.

LINK: Crashing Star Wars Ships #03

Old 04 April 2011   #35
Also HBO don't hold back they go all the way when it comes to the sex/drugs/violence/language etc...

Might not be to everyone's taste but I like that they are not shy.

Old 04 April 2011   #36
I saw the first episode during this week. Imo it was interesting but a bit weird mix, I mean, mix a political conspiracy with fantasy. I didn't expect that the cast was mainly british, that's a good point. British accent is more literary.

I didn't read the books so I have got no barrier with the TV series, but I can't wait for the episodes so probably I'm gonna start reading them.

Dexter is good, is an intense TVdrama, but the last season are a little nonsense.

For me, it was good start for Game of Thrones and I like medieval fantasy and with a bit of bizarre adult content, incest and conspiracies, I'm sold.

Old 04 April 2011   #37
Originally Posted by earwax69: Kinda off topic: I never watch TV shows. Well , exept very old stuff - Absolutly Fabulous, Inspector Morse, The Sweeney - but recently I watched Walking Dead and now Game of Thrones and I like it a lot. Any other series that are worth not missing? One friend recommanded Dexter to me. Anything else? Rome?

Watch "The Wire". Quite simply the best tv show ever made.

Old 04 April 2011   #38
Hoooaaaa thanks for the suggestions, im going to look at all of it. Very appreciated.

Whats the problem with HBO opening logo looking so 1991? Is it a retro homage or what?

Old 04 April 2011   #39
Started watching the first episode today and wow this show is amazing. Another show to look forward to every week next to Shameless and Fringe

Old 04 April 2011   #40
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Started watching the first episode today and wow this show is amazing. Another show to look forward to every week next to Shameless and Fringe

What? You watch Shameless? The UK show?

Old 04 April 2011   #41
Originally Posted by grrinc: What? You watch Shameless? The UK show?

They remade it

Flickr

MDI Digital

Old 04 April 2011   #42
Originally Posted by grrinc: What? You watch Shameless? The UK show?

No the US remake with William Macy.

Old 05 May 2011   #43
Any other fans of the books dissapointed so far?

I mean they definitely are following the book in certain aspects but I feel like they will always choose gratuitous sex and violence over subtle nuance every time. I mean they literally shit all over Dany's story. All the nuance in her story has been flushed down the toilet to show her naked. Dany's story is my favorite of all the threads in the book (other than Arya's). The relationship between her and the kohl is actually quite sweet and they basically made it into rape scenes. WTF!? They even glossed over one of the most important story elements (when she gets the kohls wedding gift) because they just had to show the kohl giving Dany backshots while she cries. That was a huge let down for me because I at least thought they would be faithful to the spirit of the book.

The hound is up supposed to be quite scarred on the side of his to the point where people recoil when they see him (one character in particular). It look like he has la light scratch across his face compared to what is described in the book IMO.

Anyway rant over.

Old 05 May 2011   #44
apocalypse: Yea, at first I was bothered by the dany omissions as well, but realistically they have screen time contraints and it's important to start her story with her feeling completely hopeless and powerless. If they stayed closer to the book in those scenes, she'd be starting off a lot happier. As far as the hound... well budget constraints.

Old 05 May 2011   #45
Originally Posted by aesir: apocalypse: Yea, at first I was bothered by the dany omissions as well, but realistically they have screen time contraints and it's important to start her story with her feeling completely hopeless and powerless. If they stayed closer to the book in those scenes, she'd be starting off a lot happier. As far as the hound... well budget constraints.

Yeah but the hopelessness should come from her brother, no the Kohl, imo. The Kohl is what pulls her out of that hopelessness. As for screen time. They certainly had enough time to show her getting back shots and getting straddled by one of her maids. Something which was nothing more than a one liner in the book. I know its HBO but thought things would be a bit more tasteful, in that respect. Frankly, considering where Dany's story goes in the books, this is a bad start, imo. They've been fairly faithful with the other stories though so I'm not too disappointed but I just feel like they are trying to show Dany naked every chance they get. I find it unnecessary to her story and gratuitous. I'm not a prude or anything just saying.

Thread Closed share thread